Fire bottle/supression system - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:18 PM

Bump.................

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:27 AM
The Enforcer

This might be one of those rare occasions where Ross was actually able to go to sleep at a reasonable hour. I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Absolute power does what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
This might be one of those rare occasions where Ross was actually able to go to sleep at a reasonable hour. I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

San
Too fun San, yeah, I actually did get a little sleep last night. Or more to the point I at least closed my laptop while I just watched TV fading in and out of sleep!

No update as I sorta put the project/car on hold. Season ended a bit early for no real reason other than I was a bit burned out. The starter also went bad in the car and from what I can see/remember it's a bitch to get to it so I decided to just put this on the winter BOE/Phil upgrade/maintenance list.

I have decided that when I do it I'm going to put in a 4 nozzle system. 2 in the engine bay and 2 in the cockpit, one on me and one on passenger. I have passengers so often that while I do dial it back when someone else is in the car odds say that I'd have a passenger if something ever happened. As such I'd feel pretty awful if something happened to them and not me - same reason I feel odd wearing my HANS when a passenger doesn't as again it feels sorta unfair to have more safety than them. Debated that pretty hotly with a group of driver friends, might have to start up a thread on that here...

I will share details when I get around to it, sorry for the delay guys...

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:12 AM

FWIW, and not for a Lotus, but a similar sized 2 seater car, I went through a similar decision process a while ago and decided on a 5lb Halon system with 2 nozzles in the engine bay and 1 in the cockpit. While not allowed by many racing organisations for environmental reasons (and an element of human health also - inhaling large qty's is not good), it's still by far the most effective fire suppressant available, and similar to the more environmentally friendly FE-36, does so by chemically interrupting the combustion process while only needing a very small concentration to do so. This is much more effective than smothering a fire like the liquid suppressants do., and when compared to FE-36 only requires 50% the volume to achieve the same result. It also leaves no residue unlike the chemical products which can often cause more damage than the fire itself. Not perfect by any means, but because of all it's advantages, it's still used extensively in Avionics (recommended by FAA for aircraft) and by the military today.
Hopefully never needed, but I'm happy with my choice (and in addition to the plumbed in system I also carry a small handheld halon extinguisher in the cabin)
Paul
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 11:51 AM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploughna View Post
FWIW, and not for a Lotus, but a similar sized 2 seater car, I went through a similar decision process a while ago and decided on a 5lb Halon system with 2 nozzles in the engine bay and 1 in the cockpit. While not allowed by many racing organisations for environmental reasons (and an element of human health also - inhaling large qty's is not good), it's still by far the most effective fire suppressant available, and similar to the more environmentally friendly FE-36, does so by chemically interrupting the combustion process while only needing a very small concentration to do so. This is much more effective than smothering a fire like the liquid suppressants do., and when compared to FE-36 only requires 50% the volume to achieve the same result. It also leaves no residue unlike the chemical products which can often cause more damage than the fire itself. Not perfect by any means, but because of all it's advantages, it's still used extensively in Avionics (recommended by FAA for aircraft) and by the military today.
Hopefully never needed, but I'm happy with my choice (and in addition to the plumbed in system I also carry a small handheld halon extinguisher in the cabin)
Paul
Halon is great, as long as you don't need to inhale. We used it extensively in the Air Force computer (mainframe) rooms, but not anymore.

San

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 03:39 PM
cph

Garage
Having recently experienced a fire in a friends Exige [ I was driving at the time] caused by a broken oil line fitting [ more details soon] I would recommend that you go for the largest size Extinguisher you can fit and with a minimum of 4 nozzles in the engine bay .
The system I am looking at is a 4L [10lb] 4 Nozzle Electric for the Engine Bay FIA 4.0L Electric System : Racetech New Zealand
And a 2.25L [5lb] 2 nozzle for the cockpit ...this might be a manual setup.
I need to do more research for the best position to mount the nozzles.

I am not concerned about the increase in weight !!

The fire was fuelled by 8 litres of oil from a broken oil fitting [ dry sump] that splashed oil onto very hot headers.
The car did not have a plumbed in Extinguisher system. Luckily it happened on the main straight near to the pits so plenty of fire fighting equipment available . It took 3 large hand held extinguishers to put out the fire.
If the car had a plumbed in system I could have activated this earlier and the fire may have been controlled earlier ... as against having to wait until I stopped and the marshals reached the car.
If this had been a track day and I had stopped on the other side of the track I doubt the fire could have been extinguished.

The other thing I learnt was to ensure the you have a well placed, large sized Battery Isolator. The engine was shut down by the ECU when it triggered an alarm for low pressure , but the Battery isolator switch was a small button ( see attached pic] that I had trouble turning off. Had to have a couple of trys to get it turned off .
The other thing is to practise your emergency escape procedure ... especially if new to the car !!
Good news is that the car is repairable ... even the clam ... and we hope to be back and running in a few months.
Attached Images

2-11 : BOE Built Engine / Rev 400 SC / Quaife Sequential / Dry Sump / Fastworks Tune SOLD
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...roject-339234/

ELISE : K20 / TVS 1320 / EP sequential / Dry Sumped / Motec M1

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...ealand-439105/

JUNO SSE K20 NA
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:12 PM

[QUOTE=oldmansan;4450537]Halon is great, as long as you don't need to inhale. We used it extensively in the Air Force computer (mainframe) rooms, but not anymore.

San[/QUOTE

Bromochlorodiflouromethane, 1211 is what we use onboard the aircraft. Nasty stuff to humans, will displace the oxygen in your lungs.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Absolute power does what?

Great input everyone. I've worked in IT my entire career and have built a few very large datacenters so I'm very familiar with the pros and cons of Halon. I suppose these decisions all come down to your goals for the systems - I think for me the main reason to have fire suppression is to save life and limb, not the car. Sure, I don't want the car to burn down but in the unlikely event that something were to catch fire I can buy another car - I can't buy another friend, student, leg or self. I've been in some very bad accidents in my life but have never been burned and hope to never be.

Like all safety and security measures you can go completely nuts or bare minimum and for me I'm feeling somewhere in the middle. Ultimately I'll discuss with Phil/BOE and will most likely go with his recommendation (like the lemming/fanboy I am!). I agree fully on the electrical disconnect and also want a temp sensitive switch for the fire system as the only fatality we've had at our local track (HPR) was due to fire and his car didn't have an auto-temp activated fire system (had a system but it never went off).

Do keep the input coming however as I still have a while before doing this.

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:42 PM
The Enforcer

FYI the sign I posted is an Air Force souvenir from an old datacenter.

San

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
FYI the sign I posted is an Air Force souvenir from an old datacenter.

San
I still have one from a Hush House when we used to bang burner on F4's in the wee hours of the night. Stole it from Bergstrom AFB.

It says "When alarm sounds evacuate immediately, Death can occur from exposure". I remember there were 8-400 lb bottles of that stuff. If you were the guy in the cockpit you had to wear an O2 mask. Your evac procedure was shut down aircraft and sit tight! We also cleaned parts with MEK back then to so..............

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 12:42 AM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpilot View Post
I still have one from a Hush House when we used to bang burner on F4's in the wee hours of the night. Stole it from Bergstrom AFB.

It says "When alarm sounds evacuate immediately, Death can occur from exposure". I remember there were 8-400 lb bottles of that stuff. If you were the guy in the cockpit you had to wear an O2 mask. Your evac procedure was shut down aircraft and sit tight! We also cleaned parts with MEK back then to so..............
I have a few souvenirs. I regret not having the Restricted Area, Use of Deadly Force Authorized sign.

I was TDY in Italy in the 90s at San Vito. Plenty of Combat Controllers and Para Rescue personnel. I used to shoot pool and party with them. Very laid back guys. Never got to visit their Hush House.

San

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in