Glasses Under a Helmet - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Glasses Under a Helmet

Does anyone know of any good alternatives to wearing regular eye glasses under a helmet? I have pretty bad vision (-10.5 in one eye and -11.0 in the other with astigmatism in both). If my glasses get bumped a little out of alignment while on the track, then my distance vision suffers. I have tried many different brands of contact lenses, but I cannot find a contact lens solution that works for both near and distance vision. I am wondering if there might be some sort of solution out there that works better than just regular eye glasses. I have envisioned something similar to low profile swim goggles, but I haven't found anything that looks like an ideal solution. Any thoughts?

amber
06'CO Exige
If in doubt....flat out!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:49 PM

What is your concern about regular glasses? Sébastien Bourdais wore glasses under his helmet in Champ Car / F1 / Indy, so I can only assume that it is a safe solution. Flawed assumption? You might consider getting some special glasses made that would feel comfortable under your helmet. TAG Heuer for instance makes glasses that are shaped for wearing with a helmet on...no idea on the cost though.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
What is your concern about regular glasses? Sébastien Bourdais wore glasses under his helmet in Champ Car / F1 / Indy, so I can only assume that it is a safe solution. Flawed assumption? You might consider getting some special glasses made that would feel comfortable under your helmet. TAG Heuer for instance makes glasses that are shaped for wearing with a helmet on...no idea on the cost though.
My concern is that (1) I have trouble getting a comfortable fit and (2) more importantly if my glasses are slightly out of alignment under the helmet, then my distance vision is impaired (not the greatest thing when glancing at flagging stations in the distance).

I'll google Tag Heuer and see what I can find.

amber
06'CO Exige

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:37 PM

Once you find the right pair of glasses to wear under your helmet and slip then on, they should not move. I put my glasses on after I put my helmet on. You just need glasses with arms that are thin/flexible enough to feel comfortable while wearing a helmet, yet stuff enough to allow you to slip then on once your helmet is on.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:02 PM

I swam in college and there was a kid on my team with corrective goggles. I'm sure you could get a pair of swimming goggles to wear at the track but I can't say that it wouldn't look goofy. fwiw, I wear my sunglasses with my helmet. Just put them on after like Vantage said.

(Not sure if they have enough correction?)
US 23.95 for Prescription swim swimming goggles

2006 Lotus Exige - Kantana SC, Charlie X Tune, Rear Pannel Delete, Nitron Coilovers, TR Motorsport F1 Rims, Tillet Carbon Fiber Seats, BWR Adjustable anti-roll bar, Hawk Pads
2008 BMW 328xi Coupe
2011 VW Sportwagen TDI
2003 BMW M3-Sold
2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX-Sold
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:06 PM

I too wear glasses inside my helmet, and they don't sit EXACTLY the same as they do outside my helmet, so if the tolerances are that tight, I can see the problem. (no pun intended)

Have you considered a non-full face helmet ? That might be less troublesome. And, if you don't mind looking a bit weird, a non-full face helmet with a pair of prescription goggles might do the trick. When I first thought of the idea I was thinking goggles as in ski goggles (or motocross goggles) since I've seen ads for them in Skiing like forever. But a quick google for prescription goggles finds a lot of other things that might work, since they use straps instead of temples and they might even work inside a full facer.

------------------------------------------------------------
'08 Elise SC 60th Anniversary : Ti+Canyon Red, Touring+Track Pack, Harnesses, 2Bular, gPan3, Trackmounts2
'69 Elan : QED Head, 420 Cams , CV Joints, Spax, Panasports
'12 Audi S4
'18 BMW X3
'07 Mastercraft X2
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:14 PM

Garage
I wear contacts if the sun is out so that I can wear proper polarized sun glasses, and wear glasses if its quite cloudy or rainy. I wonder what frames you wear. When I tried the thin framed and frameless, I just could not get them positioned well. Currently I have a heavy Moscot frame that may look geeky (or worse) but are very comfortable and stable.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:26 PM

Lasix for distance and reading glasses.

I go with the Zen driving state of mind, sort of like the blind Ninja, vision is not all that important when you can tune into the rhythmic flow of the Chi.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 PM

I've had good luck with Oakleys, the ones with thin wire temples. I've used A-wires for years, but others like crosshairs, whiskers, nanowires, etc. work well also. Narrower glasses work better with SA helmets than M helmets since the eye ports are smaller. I've not had trouble with mine staying put. How old are you and are you needing bifocals yet? With that much distance correction, you may need no-line bifocals (take some getting used to) see the gauges and the next turn. If so, look for taller/bigger lenses for a bigger "sweet spot." I assume you've taken your helmet to the optical shop to try frames. The Oakleys aren't cheap, though. You have to buy a regular pair of glasses and pay another $200-300 for the prescription lenses. Good luck.

Eric H.
'77 Esprit S1 "project"/'94 RX-7 R2/'00 RC51/'16 Focus RS
?? '10 (or maybe '11, or maybe hybrid, maybe '12, maybe '13...maybe '20) Esprit
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 PM

maybe change to a helmet that has a wider eyeport?

BellM4 Helmet-SafeRacer

1977 Crossle 32F
1999 Spec Miata
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Failed at Self Control

I ran into this problem when I first started riding motorcycles. I hunted, and found, a great pair of frames with hooks that go around the ears. But I wasn't wearing a full face helmet at that time either. Now I have a pair of small framed glasses that are fairly flexible. I can slide them on pretty easily once my helmet is on and I haven't experienced any trouble.

- z

07 Lotus EliseKrypton Green – Sport Pack, Touring Pack, Cilajet, Stage 2 Exhaust, Pagid Black RS14 brake pads and Motul Brake Fluid, Exige-style side scoops, Other Sector 111 / BWR Accessories
02 Mazda Miata MX-5 SEBlazing Yellow Mica – Hard Top, Boss Frog Clearview Roll bar
05 Mazda3Laser Blue, 2.3L
84 Mazda B2000 SE PickupWhite – 296,000 miles
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:44 PM
alp
likes to drive fast

Ditto to Oakleys since they have no bends near the ear piece. I have a pair of Oakley Box Spring 2.0. There are little springs at the end of the frame for flexibility, which really help with wearing it into a Zamp RZ-31 helmet.

Still, I think Lasik is the way to go.

2009 Exige S260
2011 Evora [sold]
2005 Elise [sold]
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:31 PM

-10 seems a lot for Lasik, but if Lasik is possible, go for it .

I did it last January and driving without glasses is great.

If you stay with glasses, I also recommend Oakley. Make a pair just for the track and try them with the helmet before buying, to be sure.
Definitly not cheap, but very stable and comfy.

March 2009 Arctic Silver Elise S
Dark-red soft-top finally there!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 AM

With -10's any movement of the glasses would probably change your vision.

Contacts are probably your best solution without looking into refractive surgery. You may be a candidate for implantable contact lenses. Ask your Ophthalmologist.

LPM
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.

My glasses work OK; they're just not ideal and require a lot adjusting to get them right. Once they are in place, they stay put.

Open face really isn't option, since I do a lot of karting as well.

I would have done Lasik many years ago, but unfortunately I am not a candidate. The surgeon said that there would be a greater than 50% chance that I would lose some or all color vision as a result. It's too big of a risk not to be able to tell the difference between Chrome Orange and Krypton Green.

I found these last night, and I am wondering if they would be a good solution.
Wiley X AirRage RX Prescription Sunglasses FREE S&H WX-RX-AirRage-695RX, WX-RX-AirRage-696RX, WX-RX-AirRage-697RX. Wiley X Climate Control Ski Goggles, Wiley X Climate Control Prescription Sunglasses

amber
06'CO Exige
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:52 AM
alp
likes to drive fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas213 View Post
... require a lot adjusting to get them right. Once they are in place, they stay put.
I think you hit the nail on that one. Usually the helmet padding is pretty thick. To me at least, the most time consuming part is so to 'stuff' the pair of ear pieces in between the flesh and the paddings. But yes, once in place, they do stay put.

I just looked the Wiley X you posted. Do you reckon actually help to minimize adjustments?

nas, why don't you post a pic of what eyeware you use for track?

2009 Exige S260
2011 Evora [sold]
2005 Elise [sold]
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I Have Commitment Issues

try trimming some of the side padding. I might have to do this on mine since i have a pair of glasses with a thick frame so it pushes it alot.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
maybe change to a helmet that has a wider eyeport?

BellM4 Helmet-SafeRacer
Bingo. I use the Bell M4 and have never had an issue with glasses fitting.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:11 PM

I have a simpsons helmet, when I ordered I specified a glasses cut eye port and I don't notice my glasses moving while on track or karting.

07 Exige S - PhB., TP, TP, LSD, Gotham, 2Bular Revised Header, 2Bular De-Cat, 2Bular 8x24 Burnt GT3, Cup Car Intake, 6k HID's, Schroth 4pt ASM Harnesses, Milled Steering Arms, Bronze Volk TE37, Carbon Craftsquare Mirrors, Reverie 5 Element Diffuser, Reverie Exige Race Front Spoiler, APR Canards, IMRP Side Skirts, Blackwatch Studs w/ Project Kics K40 Lugs, DBA 5000 Rotors, Goodridge lines, Sparco Wheel w/ Works Bell Quick Release.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:31 PM

I had my eye doc work out a set of contacts that allowed me to see from @ 2ft and out clearly. I wear them when I auto-x and play sports. But it's a pain when I have to read stuff . Have to wear reading glasses. Good Luck on finding a solution that works for you!!!!!!!! Quack!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in