LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Safety (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f238/)
-   -   Great nomex balaclava? (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f238/great-nomex-balaclava-102639/)

rosscarlson 06-17-2011 07:49 AM

Great nomex balaclava?

Guys,

I'm looking for a really good Nomex Balaclava but I'm having a hard time finding one. Here's what I'm looking for

- Seamless, at least across the forehead. My helmet fits pretty prefect without one so when I wear my current ones they really dig into my forehead

- Full coverage down my neck.

- Preferably black

- Durable and good quality

Any suggestions? I found this one but don't know much about it and am a little hesitant to order overseas.

Bane 06-17-2011 08:34 AM

I use one made by Alpinestars. It works well for what it is :up:

*edit* Here's a black one I found with a quick search on their site: http://www.alpinestars.com/ZX_Nomex_.../p/475499.html

rosscarlson 06-17-2011 08:58 AM

That one does look pretty nice but I'm not loving the seam right now the front. Any thoughts there, the few I have (granted not stitched that "smooth") kill me as there are 2 seams meeting right at the center of my forehead.

-Ross

lotuscupcar 06-17-2011 09:12 AM

Damn I thought we were talking about baklavas

rosscarlson 06-17-2011 09:14 AM

Well you could take mine after I use it and dip it in sugar but I still think it would taste, well, not like baklava!

Frank Amoroso 06-17-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosscarlson (Post 1607466)
That one does look pretty nice but I'm not loving the seam right now the front. Any thoughts there, the few I have (granted not stitched that "smooth") kill me as there are 2 seams meeting right at the center of my forehead.

-Ross

Your forehead is too big.

"...yeah, and my hairline can't be helping either." Classic.

Mordikar 06-17-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotuscupcar (Post 1607470)
Damn I thought we were talking about baklavas

YES!!! I am not alone!

halcyon 06-17-2011 11:23 AM

Stand21

sous vetements-2 racing car homologated FIA & SFI stand 21

Sparco Carmyth are very comfy too, but they have seams around the face opening.

JWA 06-17-2011 01:25 PM

I like my OMP's and lately have been using an Oakley version, but to be honest I couldn't tell you if they have seams on the forehead or not.

DanS 06-18-2011 05:47 AM

Don't know if this will work for you, but
I use a silk balaclava in cold weather on the motorcycle. The stitching bothered me until I started wearing it inside out. Stitching, tag, etc. are now outside, inside is smooth and comfortable.
I realize a Nomex hood is different, but it may work.

Frank Amoroso 06-18-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanS (Post 1607793)
Don't know if this will work for you, but
I use a silk balaclava in cold weather on the motorcycle. The stitching bothered me until I started wearing it inside out. Stitching, tag, etc. are now outside, inside is smooth and comfortable.
I realize a Nomex hood is different, but it may work.

Pretty simple / elegant / brilliant. Both my single layer Sparco and double layer Puma look to be better turned inside-out, but there are still seams to contend with. To make matters worse, Ross has a sensitive forehead / melon.
:p

robains 06-18-2011 10:19 PM

I use OMP one, you might want to get 3 -- they can get a little ... stinky and wet ;) ... I bring 3 clean ones for Fri/Sat/Sun.

Frank Amoroso 06-19-2011 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robains (Post 1608008)
I use OMP one, you might want to get 3 -- they can get a little ... stinky and wet ;) ... I bring 3 clean ones for Fri/Sat/Sun.

Yeah, I wash my balaclavas in motel bathroom sinks and stick 'em between a towel to dry overnight througout the course of track / race weekends.

I used a hockey gear cleaning service to "launder" my very well used helmet a few years ago. Apart from their deodorant (final step in their laundering process) fragrance being far too strong (I'd have 'em go light on the deodorant / fragrance step were I to do it again), it was the best $15 I've spent on race /safety gear. And even though the deodorant fragrance was too strong at first, the fragrance is still there, lightly so, even after ensuing years of use. Helmet woulda been skanky beyond use well before its rating expired otherwise. I wouldn't even have loaned it to an enemy.

Is there anything skankier than a rental helmet? I think not.

Anyway: \\ Colorado Clean Gear \\

"When cleaned properly using Esporta's Wash systems and our specially formulated enzyme based detergents and disinfectants we eliminated these contaminates at the source. No other method of cleaning compares to our total cleaning solution when it comes to eliminating blood, proteins, mucus, bacteria, fungus and mold from sports equipment."

Well, ok, my helmet wasn't *that* bad, but you get the point.