Helmet Recommendations - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Me!
6.94915254 lbs/hp

Helmet Recommendations

Now that I finally got an Exige, I want to put it in its element...

I am planning to only do a handful (2-3) of autocrosses (SCCA) a year and maybe a track day or two as well, so I'm not going to be a hardcore track junkie and don't need a crazy helmet.

I'm looking for a relatively cheap helmet aka: around $300 or less and here are my questions:

- At that price range what brands would you recommend?
- Open or closed face helmet?
- What ratings should I look for?

Thanks for your help!

2007 Storm Titanium Exige S w/ sunvisor delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:35 PM

Pegasus racing is in New Berlin and has a lot of stuff in stock and they are very nice and will help you decide and I think you can even test fit them. There are lots of different opinions out there but I personally would get a closed face. You would be looking for an SA2010 rated helmet, which is probably all Pegasus has.

440bhp E85 2006 Solar Yellow Elise.
The way it should have been delivered from the factory with Honda Power!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Closer than you think

Garage
I like this, but there might not be enough roof clearance...
Attached Images

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:54 PM

I bought a $ 90 pyrotect, It is open faced..... and I have on occasion gotten dust in my eyes even with sunglasses on.

Just for reference: Pyrotect :: Helmets :: Pyrotect

Full face for about 200 it seems.

I do recommend you trying them on though before purchase. My step father gave me his helmet that he would use when drag racing, and it is the same size as my pyrotect, but it is not comfortable and I feel cholesterophobic.

If you do this at a retail store, you will have a hard time finding low priced helmets, so what you can do is find a brand you like, try it on, and order one of that brand's helmets online.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Me!
6.94915254 lbs/hp

Since there is a local shop nearby I do plan on trying them out first for fit. I just wanted to see what people prefer, and what the advantages and disadvantages were between open / closed face and the different brands.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:35 AM
He's on fire!

Given your stated budget I think you'll be able to find a quality helmet. My submission for your helmet consideration- The Bell Sport. Its SA2010, its made by a quality manufacturer, I've seen a lot of people run them at the track, and most important- its within your budget (even after taxes!). There's probably some place closer to you, but if not, Northstar Motorsports in the Northwest Suburbs has them and can help you out.

Bell Auto Racing Helmets - Northstar Motorsports

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me! View Post
Since there is a local shop nearby I do plan on trying them out first for fit. I just wanted to see what people prefer, and what the advantages and disadvantages were between open / closed face and the different brands.
HJC, a Korean brand, is very popular among SCCA autocrossers. You may be able to find one at a local cycle supply shop for less than $100. They carry an M2010 Snell label (always find the label inside the helmet, ignore outside stickers).

The Pyrotect open-face is a clone of the Bell Magnum series. I have one of these now in M2005. The air vents really work, but are not closable. At cold events, I put masking tape over them. As o f this posting date, this helmet is in my avatar.

Check your local track days whether they accept M helmets. The Pyrotect open-face does indeed come in an SA version, but of course costs a lot more. Most of what you are paying for is fireproof liner.

And you are right to try on the exact helmet you buy, not just a sample. Should be tight enough to move your skin when you shake your head "no", but not give you a headache. Go ahead and wear it around the house for a few days to get used to it.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Me!
6.94915254 lbs/hp

Thanks for your input everyone!

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:58 AM

Definately examine the Snell date. SA2000, SA2005, SA2010... The SCCA periodically decides all helmets with a SA number less than X can no longer be raced. The higher the date, the longer before you cannot use it anymore. I bought a helmet which was advertised as SA2010, but the label inside only showed it to be SA2005 (mail order, I could not examine the helmet first). I had purchased it to replace a SA2000 helmet, which was no longer eligable to race with.

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:17 AM

Many racetracks/drivers schools do not allow M rated helmets on their track, so be sure you check before you buy.

M = motorcyclt
SA = automobile

The track days I did they would not allow a M rated helmet on the track.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:28 AM

I have G-Force Pro Eliminator. I'm not a huge fan of the shield pivots (the one side tends to loosen up and work it's way out over time) but otherwise it's been good for track days, autocross, and karting.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:28 AM

Definitely get closed face, since you are doing track days as well. The best helmet is the one that fits well. In other words, a $300 helmet that fits you perfectly is better than a $1000 one that fits you poorly.

There are lots of Bell / Pyrotect / HJC helmets that fit your budget. But you need to try them all on and see which fits your head.

'05 Lotus Elise: RS134 Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 AM

I picked up a nice 200 dollar helmet from someone who did not like it off Craigs List. Not a bad place to at least take a quick peak.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:20 AM

i would buy a SA 2005 (if there are any left) or 2010 full face - the reason being that you might want to do a track day... and you will need it (more strict than autox)

regardless you can get a bread and butter sa 2010 bell for that easy.
BellSport SA2010 Auto Racing Helmet-SafeRacer

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
Definitely get closed face, since you are doing track days as well. The best helmet is the one that fits well. In other words, a $300 helmet that fits you perfectly is better than a $1000 one that fits you poorly.

There are lots of Bell / Pyrotect / HJC helmets that fit your budget. But you need to try them all on and see which fits your head.
and +1 to what he said - you have to try it on, and it should fit "very" tight. as in starts to give you headache its too tight. they loosen up after a bit. i always sit around and wear my helmets while watching TV or something for a couple days prior to using it. i even do wrestling neck rolls while wearing it on the carpet to break it in.

that said - i have found the "inch" measurements on the bells to be pretty spot on. (for me head at least)

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:19 PM

For my head, the Bell measurements are correct too.

The interior shape of helmets varies greatly, so two people having the same "inch" measurement may fit differently. Conventionally, Bell is better for round heads. For heads that are oval (longer than wide), HJC / Arai / Stilo are good. My head is somewhere between a Bell and Arai shape. I was having major pressure points on my Arai that caused a headache but these went away once the helmet broke in, so I kept it. Stilo runs a bit larger than Arai, so none of them fit me.

The helmet should be snug all around and when you try to move the helmet around, the skin on your forehead and cheeks should move with the helmet. With the chinstrap fastened, you should not be able to slip the helmet off your head when rotating it forward.

'05 Lotus Elise: RS134 Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:07 AM

I have had a few now but tried a HJC after a "fancier" brand helmet aged out. Unfortunately had the occasion to use it at Road Atlanta. Fit was a little tight to measured at first, but "wore in" quickly. After a good hit (and wasn't wearing my head/neck restraint as it was a fun run) as a passenger, I am replacing the helmet but could have been worse. My replacement was another or the same.

'06 Cartoon Orange Lotus Elise - Few racy bits
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:19 PM

Any recommendations on places to buy one?

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:30 PM

I have a bell sport for work and love it. They used to have a removable and washable interior but I believe they dropped that option on the SA2010 version.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeongeneral View Post
Any recommendations on places to buy one?
Email or call Linda at Apexperformance.net -- tell her you are a Lotus junkie -- discount
Tell her you know me and she will double the price!!!!

Seriously great people to deal with .....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in