Helmet Recommendations - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeongeneral View Post
Any recommendations on places to buy one?
Saferacer.com

I would definatelt due sa2010. I like open face for Autocross but some track orgs require full face

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 07:35 PM

I used to use helmetcity.com, good return policy if it does not fit right.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Back to the Future, again

Quote:
Originally Posted by manshoon11 View Post
My step father gave me his helmet that he would use when drag racing, and it is the same size as my pyrotect, but it is not comfortable and I feel cholesterophobic.
Try cutting back on the high density fats and fried foods. Then get some exercise in every week. That should help your cholesterol.

But a good full face helmet should not make you feel claustrophobic. You need to really try them on and each design has a different eye port opening size as well as shield design. For my money, Arai has never done me wrong and they are very comfortable, expensive, but my head is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Many racetracks/drivers schools do not allow M rated helmets on their track, so be sure you check before you buy.

M = motorcyclt
SA = automobile

The track days I did they would not allow a M rated helmet on the track.
Wow, that sucks. I have quite a few M helmets with BSI and Snell ratings... gotta make sure before I go to a trackday then.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjay View Post
Email or call Linda at Apexperformance.net -- tell her you are a Lotus junkie -- discount
Tell her you know me and she will double the price!!!!

Seriously great people to deal with .....
+1 for Apex Performance.
I've purchased pads, rotors and a Zamp helmet from them. They are great to work with. They know their helmets and can help get you into the right helmet for you. Fast shipping as well.

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...lag=3&brand=84

They will even drill holes in helmet for HANS device at no charge if you'd like.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Puff Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Many racetracks/drivers schools do not allow M rated helmets on their track, so be sure you check before you buy.

M = motorcyclt
SA = automobile

The track days I did they would not allow a M rated helmet on the track.
Not entirely true.

The M denotes that is indeed a motorcycle helmet but that doesn't automatically make it illegal for track usage.

SA = Snell Approved. This increases the standard to include a flammability test and has more stringent requirements for impact.

Auto accidents can be worse than a motorcycle accident for your head, especially if you have a roll bar. Most SA approved helmets have a smaller eye port and are heavier than their M counterparts.

That being said my helmet is both M and SA 2010 approved.

I enjoy the lighter weight and larger eye port. I have a Shoei Qwest I use on my Ducati and in the Exige. It passes all track inspections due to the SA2010 rating.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Not entirely true.

The M denotes that is indeed a motorcycle helmet but that doesn't automatically make it illegal for track usage.

SA = Snell Approved. This increases the standard to include a flammability test and has more stringent requirements for impact.

Auto accidents can be worse than a motorcycle accident for your head, especially if you have a roll bar. Most SA approved helmets have a smaller eye port and are heavier than their M counterparts.

That being said my helmet is both M and SA 2010 approved.

I enjoy the lighter weight and larger eye port. I have a Shoei Qwest I use on my Ducati and in the Exige. It passes all track inspections due to the SA2010 rating.
Unusual that you found one rated for both but cool! The SA approved helmet is rated for multiple sharper impacts and M rated is deigned for one large impact with potential incidental lighter impacts. In car = fire resistant = SA to me.

One thing I don't think I saw mentioned was ventilation. More is better, I can always remove it but it is really hard to add.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in