Helmet Size Question - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Helmet Size Question

I am going to order a racing helm from a web store. How do I determine the proper size for a racing helmet? ie s/m/L?

2010 Lotus Exige S260

2010 VW GTI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:20 AM

If you google around, or look on the site, you'll find a guide for the circumference of your head and how that matches up to the helmet size. A fabric / crafts store will have a fabric tape measure so you can get a half way accurate measurement. Better to error on the side of more firm than loose.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:50 AM

I've never ordered online and it's not something I'd recommend.
However I know needs must sometimes so as above - err slightly smaller than too big. The interior padding will give but as long as you can't pull the helmet off from the back of your head then it'll be fine.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 06:16 AM

If you are serious about it then you will go to a store that sells the brand of helmet you are looking for and try them on until you find one that fits correctly.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanj View Post
If you are serious about it then you will go to a store that sells the brand of helmet you are looking for and try them on until you find one that fits correctly.
+1
I know at least with motorcycle helmets, each brand is different, and will fit different people better than others. It's far better to try them on until you find the one that fits you best. If you're opposed to paying more to buy in store, then just go to try them on, then order from an online retailer.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 06:26 AM

better off to try them on.... helmets are made to fit different heads

When I went helmet searching for my buell I tried on Bieffe, Bell & several other ones. A HJC helmet fit me the best, the more expensive helmets ($600-800) simply didn't work for me. My HJC was $450

My head is more round or something like that which is why several of the other helmets didn't work.

I don't like the idea of wasting people's time at a store then ordering elsewhere. IF you are going to go to a store & have a employee take their time to help you, buy from them since they are usually on comission.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
I don't like the idea of wasting people's time at a store then ordering elsewhere. IF you are going to go to a store & have a employee take their time to help you, buy from them since they are usually on comission.
I actually agree with this. In my case though, i went to three places, and none of them gave me the time of day. So i tried on a whole bunch, found the one that fit me best, and ordered online. If someone had bothered to help me out i would have bought it on the spot.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanj View Post
exactly.
also use your headsock if you wear one so everything is as it will be at the track.
helmets will also lossen slightly after you wear them a bit, so make sure its snug when you try it on.

1977 Crossle 32F
1999 Spec Miata
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 12:51 PM

For car helmets it's even more difficult. I checked a few local motorcycle shops & they only had cheap stuff that didn't fit so I drove 45min away for my helmet.

I have no clue if you try on helmets at a motorcycle dealership if they would fit the same if it was a car version. Seems like most tracks do not accept M helmets, only SA or whatever the car version is.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 01:42 PM

And if you wait a couple weeks to order your helmet, the new SA2010 certifications should be available around October 1.

SOLD 2006 Elise British Racing Green

2017 Evora Sport 410
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Cheek pads also vary quite a bit, so that is another factor independent of head size that you should take into consideration.

Just another reason to try them on first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in