Help me choose a CF seat.. anyone at H2R-Austin maybe have CF seats? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Help me choose a CF seat.. anyone at H2R-Austin maybe have CF seats?

So I'm looking for CF seats for my 06 elise. I'd like to use fixed rails (not the OEM ones, but I would consider keeping the OEM rails and using them with a seat that bolts right up to them) I basically at least want to get rid of the driver side slider setup and go with eye-bolts for the lapbelts rather than attaching directly to the OEM rails.

I am 5'9" 200lbs with 36" waist and broad shoulders

So far the only seats I can find that accomodate are the sector111 big bottoms and maybe the Tillet b5. Are the technocrafts the same as the sector big bottom? anybody know?

Are there any other seat suggestions for me to look at. I don't 100% need carbon fiber, but looking to go lighter than stock and safer setup.

It would be nice if someone in my area (austin, TX) had any of these that I could check out..

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated.. also looking for suggestions of other seats/manufacturers that would work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

thoughts on the tillet b5.. it looks pretty flat on the bottom from pics.. any feedback on that specific seat?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

anyone?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:42 PM
He's on fire!

Here's a thought - are you planning to keep the stock 3 pts? If so you're going to have to get custom fixed rails fabbed up to keep them. None of the current offerings (AKAIK anyway) offer a fixed position AND allow you to keep the stock 3 pt.

If you go with eyebolts to mount the harness, I don't see why you'd care what rails the seat was using, since your belts would be completely independent of the seat.

The b5 doesn't bucket super high because it allows you to keep the stock belts. Never had a problem with it keeping me in place though.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 PM

I've been using the Tillett B5s (in cf) for a few years now of mixed track & street and have been very happy with them. They are actually way more comfortable than my stock 05 seats were, and obviously much safer with proper holes for using harnesses.

Me: 5'11" 205lbs 36" waist with broad shoulders also - used to dead lift 550lbs!

Seat setup: I put the drivers seat on the slider to retain some flexibility for the street. This is probably not necessary though. We also kept the stock 3 point belts for street use. For the track, we installed a 6 point harness. The B5 works great with my HANS.

I understand that Robert at the British Racing Group is the distributor for these now, so you will have all the support you need there to make sure they are installed right, which is critical for any seat setup.

Scott
Red 2005 "Elige S" rally and road course monster
http://racing.tax-whistleblower.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/ScottKnott/featured
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

I'd be interested in the B5.. just wish I could find someone local so I could sit in one.. was hoping someone from harris hill road (local track) would chime in

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulthard fan View Post
I've been using the Tillett B5s (in cf) for a few years now of mixed track & street and have been very happy with them. They are actually way more comfortable than my stock 05 seats were, and obviously much safer with proper holes for using harnesses.

Me: 5'11" 205lbs 36" waist with broad shoulders also - used to dead lift 550lbs!

Seat setup: I put the drivers seat on the slider to retain some flexibility for the street. This is probably not necessary though. We also kept the stock 3 point belts for street use. For the track, we installed a 6 point harness. The B5 works great with my HANS.

I understand that Robert at the British Racing Group is the distributor for these now, so you will have all the support you need there to make sure they are installed right, which is critical for any seat setup.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
Here's a thought - are you planning to keep the stock 3 pts? If so you're going to have to get custom fixed rails fabbed up to keep them. None of the current offerings (AKAIK anyway) offer a fixed position AND allow you to keep the stock 3 pt.

If you go with eyebolts to mount the harness, I don't see why you'd care what rails the seat was using, since your belts would be completely independent of the seat.

The b5 doesn't bucket super high because it allows you to keep the stock belts. Never had a problem with it keeping me in place though.
Don't care at all about retaining stock belts.. I run 6pt schroth only

The reason I care which rails I'd be using is that I don't want a slider.. I want a fixed mount for both driver and passenger for safety
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 07:45 AM

Another choice is Reverie.

S240 Exige S with BOE FW300 + over 40 mods
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 02:25 PM
He's on fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpheck View Post
Don't care at all about retaining stock belts.. I run 6pt schroth only

The reason I care which rails I'd be using is that I don't want a slider.. I want a fixed mount for both driver and passenger for safety
IMO the benefit of the b5 is in retaining the stock belts while keeping you more "locked in" compared to stock. If your car is track only then might as well find a seat with more of a bucket.

Also, if your harness is mounted independent of the seat it probably doesn't matter much if its on sliders. However its got to be true that fixed is safer than a slider. either way there's no reason a machine shop couldn't fab up a custom fixed seat mount for you.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Last edited by jds62f; 05-14-2012 at 03:02 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 10:57 AM

I have a Carbon/Kevlar seat for sale if you're interested:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/...r-seat-115871/
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Absolute power does what?

I have the Tillet B5s and love them - probably the best seat I've ever been in (save for some of the real high end halo seats). My guts says they'll be a little small for you - I'm 5'11" - 150, 30" waist and they fit me perfectly. My guess is 34" would be the max that would be comfortable in them for an extended period. I have a few heavier friends that don't like them at all. The bolsters are just so deep that I'd be afraid they'd dig into your sides.

My only complaint with them is after about 90 minutes of driving my left hand starts to go numb (the bolstering is hitting me right at some nerve/blood vessel). On a long drive I'm great then blamo - can't feel my left hand (the first time it happened it freaked me out as I didn't think it was the seat as I feel nothing at my side where it's pinching). After this happening a few times I realized what it was.

Bang-for-the-buck I don't see how you beat them though. If you do get a set be sure you get the right rails - mine came with right hand drive passenger rails and it took Tillet 4 months to figure that out and get me replacements (after me sending them picture after picture of it not fitting).

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 PM

I've been doing some serious seat shopping as well and the B5 was a top choice. They are a little pricy if you want the carbon setup with the 3 pad suede. You don't necessarily need the carbon outer layer as the inside is GRP (graphite reinforced plastic). The carbon layer will give you a little more stiffness and durability from scratches, and it is 175 extra per seat. You also can choose the 3 pad suede option from the bare carbon and headrest. I sat in one with the 3 pads and highly recommend it. Not only will it be a softer touch, but it will add friction between your body and the seat to hold you in place better. Not to mention the side bolstering is much better than my stock Exige seat, it will support you much better in cornering. You've probably already been here but this is where you can configure your seat:

Tillet Racing Seats for Lotus

I was quoted 3120 for two carbon 3 pad seats and brackets.

Another seat you could get is the Corbeau LE Pro:
Corbeau LE-Pro Kevlar/Carbon Seat - Demon Tweeks
Corbeau LE-Pro Kevlar/GRP Seat - Demon Tweeks

I've never sat in one but they look about like the B5s and they are a little cheaper than the 3 pad carbon option after you do the conversion to dollars. They also mount directly to the stock rails so you save even more money. But you get what you pay for, the Tillets are way more pretty than these.

I will probably get the Corbeau LE-X:
Corbeau LE-X Kevlar/GRP Seat - Demon Tweeks

Although it might not fit your waist size you can check with the min dimension of 33.5cm to your width to find out.

Just curious, what is your purpose in purchasing new seats? Is it for looks? A lighter setup? Improved driving experience? A problem with the old seats? How you answer will sway you one way or another. And what kind of driving do you plan on doing (a lot of track, some track, autocross, weekend driving, DD, etc)? This will determine the best seat/harness/safety choices.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:17 PM

Sorry I missed your post about only using 6 point harnesses. I don't think the LE-Pros have a cut out for a submarine belt, but you can call to be sure.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:46 PM

I think Scott Bowman (username Scott Bowman) has Tillets and I've seen him at H2R, I think he's a member.

-chris

2007 AS Exige S, Multivex Mirrors, Cup Airbox, Saikou Michi Oil Catch Cans, Manly's Motor Mounts, Schroth PROFI II ASM Harnesses + Sector111 HW Kit, Prototype Composites Splitter w/ smooth radius and plinth delete, V2arms.

1988 BMW M3, Alpine Weiss/Cardinal.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:19 AM

I have had four seats so far trying to get one the fits me and the car. Ended up with the Technocraft. I had the recaro that fits the car but you need to be 32" or you won't fit. The tillet lateral support and general comfort was my favorite but the leg bolsters were too uncomfortable for me. The Technocraft is what I'm using now, but it doesnt offer much support than the stock seat...but has harness cut outs (shoulder and sub).

I'm kind of a big guy though 6'5" 220# 36 waist. If my legs didn't get tired, I would have done the tillet. Technocraft is a safe bet, but will lose a little support.

Good luck- if you visit norther California, you're welcome to test dive my car with the Technocraft seats.

Cheers,

-Erik

'06 Cartoon Orange Lotus Elise - Few racy bits
<and others...but who cares?>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in