Lotus firesuits? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Lotus firesuits?

Anyone know of a fire suit that is green/yellow or black/gold, or actually a lotus styled fire suit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:45 PM

Classic Team Lotus seem to be carrying vintage style suits:

Classic Team Lotus Shop

Otherwise somebody like Stand21, that does custom work could put something together:

Stand 21 USA, Georgia
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 05:40 PM

I bought a pit crew suit on eBay a few years ago. It was part of the extra inventory from the American Le Mans series team. You might get lucky and find something like that if you look around.

+1 on Stand21. They can make you any color/style combo you want. I am very happy with my Stand21 and would never consider any other suit.

amber
06'CO Exige
If in doubt....flat out!!!

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 08:45 PM

sparco will do custom colors for something like an extra ~400 buxs and a month or two.

i have a sparco F1 ADV, ..its sweet!

stand21 does almost only custom - not sure what the quality/weight of their suit composition is now - they are mysterious with specs. but i would "hope" at their crazy prices, its equal to sparco's top of line stuff

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks much for the suggestions! Looks like something I can use my christmas bonus on!!!
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:06 PM

if you want a vintage suit, but not lotus colors per say. OMP makes 2 nice ones, and really cool retro gloves and shoes...

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 07:14 AM

Classic Lotus suits look great... how about retro helmets, or lotus flavoured helmets, my helmet is sa2005 need to get a new one...
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemaykan View Post
Classic Lotus suits look great... how about retro helmets, or lotus flavoured helmets, my helmet is sa2005 need to get a new one...
What's wrong with a SA2005 helmet? Helmets are typically allowed for 10 years by most race sanctioning organizations, meaning SA2005 should be good until 2015.

amber
06'CO Exige
If in doubt....flat out!!!
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas213 View Post
What's wrong with a SA2005 helmet? Helmets are typically allowed for 10 years by most race sanctioning organizations, meaning SA2005 should be good until 2015.
+1, i just bought a new helmet, and its a 2005. they are not worth keeping after 5 years anyways...

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

I just bought a cheapo pyrotech helmet, i think it is snell 05'

I have looked around a lot for the fire suits and what I have found is most likely having to get a custom coloured one from your sources.

BUT

There is a lotus fire suit here, but absolutely no info about it. Do you guys think this is nomex or just a big pajama suit more for display purposes.

KVRT - Lotus / Store

I was able to find vitaly petrov REPLICA suits, but nothing functional.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 01:22 PM

well... suits come in all kinds of flavors... personally, i would get the most protective one in the lightest weight you can afford.

it its not sfi/5 - FIA/2000 - i wouldn't bother. since that is a "crew" suit, and not a "driver" suit. and based on the price, i am going to say its fire retardant cotton, single layer.... (alla g-force)

any nice nomex suit will be ~1k, a decent one ~600. a really excellent one about 1,800.

there are some 'really' good deals out there on suits (sparco and alpinestars) - but in stock colors. check out wine country, and UPR, and c2 motorsports in san diego (steve) has the nice momo suits for like 500.

...i just went shopping last month myself

of course - what you buy, can be very dependent on what your doing. assumed risk, etc... my fuel cell is my seat... and my head is about 1 foot away from the carb... so... balaclava, undies, top quality suit, etc.. for me.

hpde days that only require cotton long sleves... a cheap single layer cotton suit is better than that - especially if you add nomex undies (dont try on the expensive oakley soft touch undies or you will spend 300 bux....

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

I'm gonna buy the KVRT crew suit- KVRT - Lotus / Store

I emailed KVRT and they replied saying, "Thank you for your enquiry regarding the firesuits for sale. All our firesuits are custom made so there are no sizes, however if you were to send me your height and weight then I can try and match one to you, but no guarantees.

The suits are fully functional, they were going to be used by our crew guys for the whole season and so this would work perfectly. Please let me know if you would like to proceed."

For anyone else wishing to inquire, here is her email. [email protected]

This one will be safer than the cotton one i've been renting from the track, so i'll look at upgrading later on if need be.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:40 AM

That's a cool suit, but is it a SFI/5? It doesn't have many details.

2005 SY-REV310 Supercharger, clam hinge, 2bular 8" single tip exhaust, 2bular header, Ohlin Double Adjustables, RTDbrace, Custom Kirkey 58 Series seats, Schroth 6 pt. harnesses, Multivex mirrors, Race battery, Micromirror, HID's, V2arms, Sparco removeable steering wheel, Volk CE28N's with Hoosier R7's, Pagid RS 14 pads, Cup airbox, catch cans, Ultradiscs, gPan, splitter, canards, Reverie wing, 6 element diffuser, proRad
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

I'll get more details on the suits posted re: the rating.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

reply from fiona, "I will be able to tell you on Monday. I do know they are made of nomex and are used by our drivers and crew, so certainly are of the highest protection.

Thanks"
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

"made by impact, and double lined" SFI 3-2A/5

I'll post a followup when I receive it in the mail.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:04 PM

I ordered one too. They think they found one that will fit me and I'm a big guy. Interesting thing is that they are all brand new. Never used as the driver of the car was supposed to bring sponsorship money and didn't. So at the last minute no Lotus identification, no use for the fire suits. Here is a picture of the rating tag on the suit and what the car looked like racing in Brazil before they changed the color (no Lotus logo's)
Attached Images

65 Elan S2 - Restored & For Sale
72 Europa- Restoration under way
69 Elan S4 - Restored & Sold
64 Elan S1 - Restored & Not for sale
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart - Sold
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car - Sold
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car - Wrecked at track
06 Elise - Track pack - Sold

Last edited by Certified Lotus; 11-14-2011 at 03:10 PM.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Well that makes sense, If I like what I see when it arrives, I will probably buy another one for the wife.

Fiona was a pleasure to communicate with.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 04:27 PM

I think the only real issue is sizing. Let's see what get's delivered. These are great deals for brand new.

How does Cosworth and Honda get promoted on the same suit? I would have thought it would be one or the other......not both?
Attached Images

65 Elan S2 - Restored & For Sale
72 Europa- Restoration under way
69 Elan S4 - Restored & Sold
64 Elan S1 - Restored & Not for sale
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart - Sold
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car - Sold
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car - Wrecked at track
06 Elise - Track pack - Sold
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:20 AM

Garage
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I believe I just bought the last one. It happened to be the right size I needed. Fiona said they were intended for the 2010 season.

07 Magnetic Blue Exige S
"Mostly though, it's just a triumph of British engineering." -Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in