New HANS or Defender for under $550 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

New HANS or Defender for under $550

At PRI it was announced that the Defender H+N Restraint is SFI 38.1 approved. Under $550 for a brand new device. The cost of safety is now even lower.

Sorry for the misleading title. Saferacer sells for the smallest HANS $545 but the others for more.
Discovery Parts for the Defender $549

Paging Fishguy

Last edited by AZReason; 03-09-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:15 PM

Wowww....that's great because I was debating this vs. the R3...

2011 Final Edition S260 Isotope Green
2005 Track Elise LotusCupUSA
2008 211 FS
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:21 PM
kaz

Hey Eddie does your helmet already have hooks in it? You can always try my Hans out whenever...

2006 Elise : JFG | Nitrons | 2bular 8" Single | IMRP aero | TWRD carbon | K20/24 NA | DRS EFI/Cosworth dash and tuning

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:26 PM

They've had this price for awhile and its only for a super small size. That's like little boys size! 13" neck size and under. Up the size and it adds $150.

2005 SY-REV310 Supercharger, clam hinge, 2bular 8" single tip exhaust, 2bular header, Ohlin Double Adjustables, RTDbrace, Custom Kirkey 58 Series seats, Schroth 6 pt. harnesses, Multivex mirrors, Race battery, Micromirror, HID's, V2arms, Sparco removeable steering wheel, Volk CE28N's with Hoosier R7's, Pagid RS 14 pads, Cup airbox, catch cans, Ultradiscs, gPan, splitter, canards, Reverie wing, 6 element diffuser, proRad
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZReason View Post
Looks like HANS lowered their prices to match the newly aproved Defender H+N restraint. At PRI it was announced that the Defender H+N Restraint is SFI 38.1 approved. HANS lowered their prices to match. Under $550 for a brand new device. The cost of safety is now even lower.

Saferacer for the HANS $545
Discovery Parts for the Defender $549

Paging Fishguy
I held a defender in my hand at the last FF race i did 4 weeks ago, and tried it on w/o my helmet or car.
i liked many things about it, but my helmet didnt have the (defender)clips for that device, so i really couldnt try it while sitting in my car.
the one thing that concerns me is side impact protection in my formula ford; a good freind of mine got dinged pretty hard on the head from the chassis tubes. In my FF car there are some chassis tubes right near my head, and the defender offers some side impact restraint, though i do not know how much, or if its enough for my purposes in that car. in my sedan i have a halo seat, so i am covered for the side impact protection that i feel i need.

The defender is also adjustable to different seat angles(20 + 30 degrees) so for me, the one H+N restraint could work in my sedan and the formula car, the versatility is a big plus.

the defender was impressive in many ways, i also liked how it held the belts over the shoulder restraint, though i have read that the belts can get hung up on them upon exiting the car.

if i had to do it al over again, i think i would buy the defender, but i do want to hear from at least 1 racer who used it in a crash first about thier experience with it. my HANS devices are tried and true, and used in every pro venue i see on tv, and thats says a lot in my decision of using a defender or a HANS.
the truth was that the defender really was just like a HANS, only "improved" or so it would appear.

if you are tracking your car, using a 5-6 pt. harness, then you should w/o question invest in some type of H+N restraint.
my .02

1977 Crossle 32F
1999 Spec Miata
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to get you excited about a lower price HANS. At least I was correct about the Defender price.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz View Post
Hey Eddie does your helmet already have hooks in it? You can always try my Hans out whenever...
No hooks, but I'd still like to try it out - maybe with your helmet, just to see how it fits.

2008 211 FS
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 AM

I'd really like more feedback on the DefNder....anyone else try this thing?

I have to pick one up before the next LCS event at the end of the month.

2008 211 FS
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 PM
kaz

I just now looked at more info online, I like the Defnder a lot for side impact...and as has been said before I don't have a halo seat in the Lotus and the ones I do like probably won't fit. Eddie you want to borrow my helmet+Hans for this Friday? I might pick up a DefNder...it looks pretty good.

2006 Elise : JFG | Nitrons | 2bular 8" Single | IMRP aero | TWRD carbon | K20/24 NA | DRS EFI/Cosworth dash and tuning
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz View Post
I just now looked at more info online, I like the Defnder a lot for side impact...and as has been said before I don't have a halo seat in the Lotus and the ones I do like probably won't fit. Eddie you want to borrow my helmet+Hans for this Friday? I might pick up a DefNder...it looks pretty good.
Peter, thanks for the offer...but I don't know if I can get up early enough to swing by downtown LA...
I'll only be "testing" the SRF again....I believe MBI Racing has restraints...

2008 211 FS
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 01:14 PM

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but does anyone use a Hybrid Pro or R3 in their Lotus?

Safety Solutions - SFI Race| Head Restraint| Neck Brace| R3 Restraint - Hybrid ProRage
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:43 PM

Defnder or HANS?
After reading many post I now realize I should have bought a HANS type system way before any of my other parts

So now I plan on purchasing a head restraint system but canít decide between a HANS or Defnder. I have Lotus seats with Sector 111 track pack 5 pt harnesses. Reading many posts and web sites I am concerned the HANS 20 is not optimal with the Lotus seats with the HANS resting on seat back, it seems? Reading up on the Defnder it seems to be a more updated HANS design with better adjustments and seems to be the better pick for my Lotus seats. My dilemma is all the reputable retailers carry the HANS and only a handful of small dealer sells the Defnder? The Defnder is a little cheaper as it comes with everything and the HANS charges for all the basic adds you have to have (I hate when retailers do that). But cost is not reason I would buy one over the other. The Defnder seems to be the better of the two for my set up?

Can anyone who has the Defnder give any feedback?

Or should I go with a HANS that seems to be the preferred brand carried by the major vendors for safety equipment? I tend to look at if the big vendors don't carry the Defnder they don't indorse it?

DefNder: Your Necks Best Defense
Welcome

Current 2007 Exige S TOURING PACK, TRACK PACK, LSD, Aspen White, BOE Torque300, Tank,2bular muffler, Larini header/Decat, RLS Intercooler, Intercooler Vent Ducts/tubes PENSKE SINGLE-ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS, CUPdiscs-Front ULTRAdisc rear, Lotus AP 4 Pot Calipers, Fidanza lightweight flywheel, ACT HDSS Clutch......way too much to list..

Past 2014 Arial Atom
Past Lotus- 2005 Elise, BOE REV400TVS,Nikasil SB, Arias pistons,....et cetera-track monster
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:49 PM

the new hans device isn't approved for NASCAR so it must not be good

SRA Champion 2011 and 2012.
My first Lotus gave me a track disease. Now working with and racing Porsche's
Rennpart.com
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Went with the Defender for the reasons you cited. Did have the added advantage of a shop at one of the tracks I run carries them. So was able to try it out and they help me set it and my helmet up. The HANS having been around much earlier, being better know and the required HnN device for many race groups, make it more readily available.

Main thing, whichever one you go with, make sure itís properly set up.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 AM

My son started racing SCCA EP in January and I really did a lot of research on this and ended up going with the Defnder for the reasons already stated. It was also easy to set up, even though I followed the directions and set up to the Nth degree.
The thing that really swayed my was the superior side impact protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in