The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Got HANS?

• No, probably overkill for just autocrosses and track days...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO! HANS devices are for PU$$IES!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

HANS preference and considerations?

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  fitfan 
#1 · (Edited)
It's about time I should buy HANS. Well, I should've bought it YEARS ago, but I only do autocrosses and non-competitive track days

I'm just curious about some things I need to consider and see what's out there.

I'm currently leaning towards NecksGen than HANS, since they have a model that allows both 2" and 3" straps and added lateral support.

Still in the research phase, so I'd love some input in terms of comfort, cost, quirks that wasn't apparent when first bought, and thing you like or not like about the ones you have/tried.

#3 ·
I have a HANS Sport and a HANS Pro. Pro is much lighter. I don't feel that my head rotation is restricted at all.
Nexgen looks good and as you said has the lateral impact support.

My friend has been very happy with his Simpson, which I believe can also be used with a standard 3point belt.

If I were in the market, I'd test try a Nexgen.

P. S. I purchased the quick release HANS posts and prefer the standard pro posts. The quick release posts are heavy. Adds up after 4 sessions.

#4 ·
The Hans device will work with 2" or 3" shoulder straps. The newer devices have wings that help hold the 3" belts. I have had my Hans since 2002 and have used it with both 2" and 3" belts. Normally, I purchase shoulder belts that are 2" as they go over the Hans and switch to 3" for the tightening mechanism. It is the same that the lap belt is suppose to be 2" now and not 3".

Later,
Eldon

#6 ·
I've decided to go with HANS device, despite their corporate effort to limit competition through litigation.
This is what made me change my mind.

It looks to my untrained eye, NecksGen may provide "too much" freedom of motion, although I can see the value in that it does in fact limit the neck extension. I'm worried about my head bouncing around and the whiplash when the head/neck bounces the other way around.
This one is the typical HANS comparison test.

Side-by-side comparison (NecksGen, none, HANS)

I'd welcome additional input, especially someone well versed in crashes and human body.

Plus, despite the additional cost, I hear FIA certification doesn't run out and tether replacement only as a recommendation.

#7 ·
Kudos to you on making the decision to wear a HNR!

Also, consider arm restraints while you're at it. An extra $25 per person to keep your arms from being torn off or amputated later is pretty good insurance in an open top/removable top car. I have a spare set for the passenger/instructor. All tethers are very short, except driver's left side, which is slightly longer to allow hand signals. Sure, it takes an extra 1 minute before the session starts to get them hooked into the harness system, but that's reasonable.

#8 ·
my preferences may be biased towards running formula cars...

HANS
cheaper "sport" version or whatever they are calling it these days - no real advantage the pricer lighter ones
posts mounts
HANS makes no recommendation about the 2" "HANS compatible harnesses, the harness manufacturers are making that :) hans recommends either, we have folks running both belts with Hans, 2" do make its al title easier when the distance from the mount, to the hans is about 3" of belt though... i think it will be mostly irrelevant in a production car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.