Reevu rear view helmet - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
kaz

Reevu rear view helmet

Just ordered it...should be getting here in a week from overseas. I'm intending to use it for karting sessions, though a quick read of the karting forums has a big debate on mirror usage in karting. I think the WKA has mirrors as illegal in kart racing. I understand the arguments against, I would just prefer to have situational awareness than not - don't intent to get offline or block or any of the other no no's...just like to know what's going on.

Should be pretty cool, will try it out and report back

2006 Elise : JFG | Nitrons | 2bular 8" Single | IMRP aero | TWRD carbon | K20/24 NA | DRS EFI/Cosworth dash and tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 11:55 PM

I was giggling uncontrollably at a thought of rear view mirror system on a helmet, either from too much or lack there of imagination, but wow it's a elegant solution!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 01:18 AM
6i9

That is an awesome concept. If I rode, I would definitely invest in this

2005 Magnetic Blue Lotus Exige
Drivetrain: Honda K20A Type R | Innovative Kit | Arqray Ti | SCM Intake/Header | Hondata | proRAD | Setrab | KTuned | V2 Fuel Tank | BOE Swirl
Aero: Exige Clams | Reverie | TWRD GT | Craftsquare | IMRP | BSK | Voltex
Suspension: Penske SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE Floating | Pagid RS14
Interior: Recaro SPG | Willans | WorksBell | Sparco

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 AM
JWA

I put a set of karting-specific wide-angle mirrors on my shifter kart years ago when I first got it. I didn't find them to be very useful as the nature of karting has you looking around a bit anyways.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:16 AM

That's a pretty cool idea.

amber
06'CO Exige
If in doubt....flat out!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
kaz

Came today via DHL...just put on the obligatory Lotus stickers and GoPro mount on the top (couldn't fit in near the mouth where I have it on my other helmets).

Helmet is made very well, super comfortable, light, removable interior, etc.

The rear view thing works although there is slight distortion that ranges from unnoticeable to slightly noticeable. It is not as bad as it looks in the photo below when you are looking through the helmet. I think since there is no glass in the unit it's using some kind of chromed plastic to get the reflection to bend round the inside top of the helmet. I don't have a bike so I will try it out this weekend karting. It probably won't be mind blowing at a kart track since it's not a super wide field of view, just what is directly behind you. Although I guess you could move around a tad left or right to see. Regardless, it's very cool tech and a no brainer for anyone who rides on the street.

The upper back of the helmet has a plastic cover where the opening is in the back to let the image in. I've taken an approximate image of what it looks like inside the helmet, though it looks much better when you are actually looking at it. You adjust the mirror up or down, and tilt it based on the angle of your head position - it's pretty easy to setup.
Attached Images

2006 Elise : JFG | Nitrons | 2bular 8" Single | IMRP aero | TWRD carbon | K20/24 NA | DRS EFI/Cosworth dash and tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in