Replace or Modify seats for tracking? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Replace or Modify seats for tracking?

I have a 2008 Elise that I am tracking more and more and now have come to the point where I want to put a 6 point belt in it. It's going to be about 80% track and 20% road so I know i will make some compromises. My dilemma is whether to modify the Probax seat that came with the car or move to a Tillett , Reverie or something similar. The existing Probax has the holes for shoulder harness already so it would just be the modification for the 5/6 point belt that needs to be done.

To make it even more complicated I am 6'3" and can barely get in and out of the car as it is although once in it fits almost perfectly. This makes me a little wary of something with higher sides like a Tillet B6 for ingress and egress. Admittedly i could use a touch more headroom when wearing a helmet too. I've read numerous posts about seats and rails etc. but I'm still not sure which path to follow.

I'm open to any opinions or suggestions from those who have been in a similar situation and I would really appreciate anyone in the Toronto, Canada area allowing me to sit in their aftermarket or modified seat as i assume a large part of the decision will come down to proper fit.

Thanks in advance
Gkart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:00 AM

I put a modified probax in my '05, so I am not opposed to it. However, they don't provide nearly as much hip and side bolstering as the aftermarket ones, and they sell for a pretty penny. You can effectively upgrade your seat for track duty for free and no labor, so that might be the more appropriate route.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

that's a good point. It's probably best to get more support if I do make a change. Assuming i can still get in and out of the car without too much more trouble.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:13 AM

Garage
I did fine by modifying the stock seat for the 6 point. My son has the full race on his 350Z and itís quite tough for the street.

Moving to the harness really makes a nice difference. No more bracing my knees for turns. Held in place to be able to control the wheel.

But, we get into the situation of safey. The four or six point is by far best with a helmet and neck protector. Even the ASM (is that what they are called?), with the breakaway on one side are not as safe as a stock three point and an air bag. Might not want to get rid of the three point even when adding in the 6.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Agreed. I will be keeping the 3 point for street use. I will be removing the air bag though. Going to a removable steering wheel to help with getting in and out of the car. Track days have started to take over. Way too much fun!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkart View Post
I have a 2008 Elise that I am tracking more and more and now have come to the point where I want to put a 6 point belt in it. It's going to be about 80% track and 20% road so I know i will make some compromises. My dilemma is whether to modify the Probax seat that came with the car or move to a Tillett , Reverie or something similar. The existing Probax has the holes for shoulder harness already so it would just be the modification for the 5/6 point belt that needs to be done.

To make it even more complicated I am 6'3" and can barely get in and out of the car as it is although once in it fits almost perfectly. This makes me a little wary of something with higher sides like a Tillet B6 for ingress and egress. Admittedly i could use a touch more headroom when wearing a helmet too. I've read numerous posts about seats and rails etc. but I'm still not sure which path to follow.

I'm open to any opinions or suggestions from those who have been in a similar situation and I would really appreciate anyone in the Toronto, Canada area allowing me to sit in their aftermarket or modified seat as i assume a large part of the decision will come down to proper fit.

Thanks in advance
Gkart
Here is a picture of my Probax seat with the slot cut and before I had an upholstery shop run material through the hole. I've had people of your height in the passenger seat and they were able to fit with the six point harness. The cost of aftermarket seats get higher if you have passengers that require the same accommodations as the driver.
Attached Images

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 07:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Agreed. I will be keeping the 3 point for street use. I will be removing the air bag though. Going to a removable steering wheel to help with getting in and out of the car. Track days have started to take over. Way too much fun!
My son is at exactly this point with his 350Z. Last week we had a serious conversation about the next move and what it means. I researched this extensively a few years ago and was educated by experienced racers.

Itís this simple. Once the move is made to harness the full progression to helmet and neck protector is required.

You say you will be keeping the three point street system. You might continue that but most folks will abandon it soon for the fun and look of the harness, and get the three point out so as not to have so much stuff in a confined space.

With no neck protector, an air bag is the only thing protecting you in a head on impact. And then only with the three point.

And we will drive faster with the knowledge that our cars are set up right.

I only take the time to write this because I have been through it and have this issue in my home again and I do care that we all enjoy our cars and our lives.

Edit: In all fairness, I drove around for a while with a harness and no neck protector. But once the track thing got fully out of hand we moved on.

Name:  6E1275D8-BD5B-47D1-BD56-5D0B89DB112A.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  108.9 KB

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2016 370Z Nismo

Last edited by XHILR8N!; 06-24-2018 at 08:09 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 08:06 AM

Garage
The next thing is how the seat is connected to the floor, and how the harness are secured. Not to the seat, but to the floor and cage.

Our bodies carry so much momentum in a crash. Especially our heads with a helmet on.

2016 370Z Nismo
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Lotusxs; Thanks for the pics. I already have the holes for the shoulder harness (Stock) so it's really just one hole in each seat. Makes it tempting to go this route. Also, the Probax fit me really well.

XHILR8N! ; I appreciate your cautions. The three point will be only for street use. At the track it will be six point and HANS every time. Your interior looks amazing by the way.

I'm at the point where i don't know if the costs, the nickel and dime effect, will make it more sensible to get a new seat. By the time I get Tall rails (or something like that) for a couple of hundred then modify the seat for a similar amount, etc., etc. I'll be getting closer to about half the cost of a proper race seat.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 09:05 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
XHILR8N! ; I appreciate your cautions. The three point will be only for street use. At the track it will be six point and HANS every time. Your interior looks amazing by the way.
I did this for a few months and then pulled out the stock three points. It really is a tight fit for both but they do fit. It is a pain tucking away the harnesses when driving on the street and securing the three points when on the track. So I moved to just the harnesses and now it's a pain buckling up for every trip and I'm sure I look like an idiot driving with harnesses on the street. I'm not sure what way is better as both have pros/cons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in