Reverie Mulsanne 'C' vs. Tillet B5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Reverie Mulsanne 'C' vs. Tillet B5

So, I'm looking for better seats. I'm currently on stock Exige seats with Schroth Profi II ASM 4points. I'd like something with more lateral support with a hole for the sub strap. Right now, I feel like I can be held more securely, and the 4 points riding up feels uncomfortable and dangerous. I'm suspecting slightly narrower than average waist and thighs have something to do with the sliding, and the 4pt riding up is just the nature of the beast. I tried the eating more method, but that didn't work out so well.

What I'm looking for is 60% track, 40% street duty with a hole for the sub belts, and Reverie Mulsanne C and Tillet B5 roughly fits the bill. Maybe there are better alternatives, but I'm curious about fitment(does it require trimming to clear the shifter console?), how and where it feels in terms of support, how (un)comfortable it is for in/egress and extended driving. I also would rather if the seats didn't go too far down lower, and wish to retain the stock runners and the 3 point seat belts... I'm getting greedy at this point....

If it makes any sense, I might actually like slightly more support than the Mulsanne C and the B5. It looks from the photos that they don't look that much more secure than the stock Exige seats, but I could be wrong. I guess I'm wanting something in the level of the '09 Exige Sport 260 CF seats without the associated $4k price tag. Curiously, from looking at the photos, Mulsanne C looks to have less torso support than the B5, and the B5 seems to have less hip/thigh support than the Mulsanne C. I'm speculating here, because all the photos I've seen suck, especially the ones on Reverie and Sector111 site.

I'll eventually find someone with the seats to make the judgement myself, but any an all input is welcome.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:57 PM
He's on fire!

b5's have more support than stock, and it is from where you've identified (torso). You can keep the stock sliders and the center console with them (I have) although at the most forward position the seat does make contact with the console. I didn't notice any big difference getting in and out of the car, but the seats seem narrower than stock. If your waist is more than 35/36" I think the seat will be uncomfortable.

I used the s111 kit for 6 pt and 3pt belts. Had to custom shim a couple of parts to get it to work how I wanted. If I were to do it all over again I wouldn't anchor the harness lap belts to the seat. (and the hardware in the s111 kit is junk btw)

The lotus cup/211 solution to lap harness mounts is really cool, I'm apt to try getting as close as I can to it with a washer and a bolt coming up through the bottom of the car, and use ralleye eye's inside the car. Since I've got the s111 solution in place I'll continue to use it for seat securement and sub strap.

If you're on the street (me too) I don't like the idea of reducing the ground clearance and having the bolt ends sticking out underneath the car when mounting harness lap belts.

If you do mount the harness belts to the seat anchor points, keep in mind only 6 skinny, short screws hold that seat onto the stock slider.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Last edited by jds62f; 02-27-2015 at 04:54 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 07:32 PM

I found the Mulsanne to be only marginally better than the stock Exige seats - if at all. Mine was custom covered in suede, and without that I would guess it would be worse because it would be too slippery. The sub belt hole was nice, but there was essentially no noticeable improvement in lateral support. The Bride was an extreme in the other direction. It is extremely snug, and the seat is so deep (the sides around the legs so high and narrow) that I could not get my knees as far apart as I prefer. The Recaro/Lotus Cup seat was the perfect solution for me. Snug with tons of lateral support, yet not restrictive at all, especially around the legs. I have no experience with the B5s.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

I'm narrowing my searches down and something popped in my head. I may even found a perspective seller as I'm looking into the second hand market as well.
How are these seats with helmets? With stock Exige seats, I sometimes feel like my head is being pushed forward maybe about an half an inch due to the helmet.
Information regarding HANS compatibility with the Reverie Mulsanne C is discouraging, although I may just have been misinformed. Or there could even be a HANS device that may be compatible with the seat?
B5 looks to be fine with HANS.

Corbeau seems to be the most logical step at this point. However, I can't track the car as much as I like currently so I'm attempting to compromise. I'd imagine a little bling hurt nobody especially from reputable manufacturers like Tillet and Reverie.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

Last edited by forkmeupscotty; 03-10-2015 at 11:59 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 05:59 AM
He's on fire!

The b5 allows for a little adjustment of seat position. I reclined it slightly more than stock to give myself a smidge more headroom, but it also would make more room for a HANS. I use HANS and have no complaints.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmeupscotty View Post
With stock Exige seats, I sometimes feel like my head is being pushed forward maybe about an half an inch due to the helmet.
I always felt like that with the stock Exige seats and I hated it. To me it felt like my head was pushed forward more than half an inch - more like 1-2 inches - so much that I almost felt like I was partially looking down. I'm guessing it would vary depending on the kind of helmet used, but it was very pronounced in my Bell M3.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:27 PM
cph

Garage
I have been using the the Tillet B6 & B7 [same as B6 but full carbon]seat and find it perfect with regards to support / Fit [36" waist] and comfort.
https://www.tillett.co.uk/shop/shopd...acing+Car+Seat

I installed it using the Tillet rails. These were Lotus specific and the seat mounts very low. You can get adjustable runners but seat is higher etc

and Sector 111 SYS6 sys.6.pack - Seat Security and 6 Point Harness Attachment for your Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111

Also used the Schroth 6 point belts which are the best belts ever ..super smooth and easy to tighten.
S111 Enduro 6pt Harness for the Lotus and Ariel - Sector111

Contact Steve at Tillet UK, [email protected] .....very helpful .

2-11 : BOE Built Engine / Rev 400 SC / Quaife Sequential / Dry Sump / Fastworks Tune SOLD
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...roject-339234/

ELISE : K20 / TVS 1320 / EP sequential / Dry Sumped / Motec M1

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...ealand-439105/

JUNO SSE K20 NA
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph View Post
I have been using the the Tillet B6 & B7 [same as B6 but full carbon]seat and find it perfect with regards to support / Fit [36" waist] and comfort.
https://www.tillett.co.uk/shop/shopd...acing+Car+Seat

I installed it using the Tillet rails. These were Lotus specific and the seat mounts very low. You can get adjustable runners but seat is higher etc

and Sector 111 SYS6 sys.6.pack - Seat Security and 6 Point Harness Attachment for your Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111

Also used the Schroth 6 point belts which are the best belts ever ..super smooth and easy to tighten.
S111 Enduro 6pt Harness for the Lotus and Ariel - Sector111

Contact Steve at Tillet UK, [email protected] .....very helpful .
That's another sweet seat that I have my eyes on, and I' might even prefer it over the B5.

However, the fact that it doesn't look like it mounts on the stock rails is a concern. I like being able to slide the rails for ease of ingress/egress. Plus, I sometimes let qualified people drive my car every now and then, and adjustability makes it trouble free. I also wonder if the thigh support area being so high make it difficult to get in and out.
Since I drive the car to and from the track as well as just bombing around the back roads, keeping the 3pt seat belt is a requirement. The B6 don't seem to have the provisions for it, although I could be wrong.
Stock Exige seats are slightly loose around my hip area, and I'm looking for something tighter. The fact that it accommodates 36" waist comfortably is a concern in my case.
It's also my understanding that the B6 is reclined more than the B5. I have no issue with headroom, and I'm very content with the stock seating height. It could work very well with HANS because of it, though.

If my intended use is anything over 80:20 Track/Street duty, then B6 could be a solid choice for me, and lower cost of the seat makes a stronger case against Reverie's XC seat.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 12:23 PM
cph

Garage
Quote:
That's another sweet seat that I have my eyes on, and I' might even prefer it over the B5.

However, the fact that it doesn't look like it mounts on the stock rails is a concern. I like being able to slide the rails for ease of ingress/egress. Plus, I sometimes let qualified people drive my car every now and then, and adjustability makes it trouble free. I also wonder if the thigh support area being so high make it difficult to get in and out.
Since I drive the car to and from the track as well as just bombing around the back roads, keeping the 3pt seat belt is a requirement. The B6 don't seem to have the provisions for it, although I could be wrong.
Stock Exige seats are slightly loose around my hip area, and I'm looking for something tighter. The fact that it accommodates 36" waist comfortably is a concern in my case.
It's also my understanding that the B6 is reclined more than the B5. I have no issue with headroom, and I'm very content with the stock seating height. It could work very well with HANS because of it, though.

If my intended use is anything over 80:20 Track/Street duty, then B6 could be a solid choice for me, and lower cost of the seat makes a stronger case against Reverie's XC seat.

Fairly certain that Tillet make a kit to attach it to the stock rails or they can supply sliding rails to suit ... contact them .
My number 1 rule ... never let anyone in the drivers seat ... so much damage can be done in such a short amount of time ... ask me how i know !!!
3 point belt will be no problem.
Tillet make different sizes to suit .. Just tell them your waist size and they will advise best size .
No problem with B6 angle and works perfectly with Hans .. Just make sure your Harness bar is in the correct place ... See Hans recommendations . Also Schroth have specific recommendations for use with Hans .
Getting in and out is not a problem .. and I aint no Gymnast !!!
At 80% track use I would be solely purchasing for that use ... bugger the other 20% !!
To have a great seat on the track is a paramount in my opinion ... makes such a difference .

2-11 : BOE Built Engine / Rev 400 SC / Quaife Sequential / Dry Sump / Fastworks Tune SOLD
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...roject-339234/

ELISE : K20 / TVS 1320 / EP sequential / Dry Sumped / Motec M1

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...ealand-439105/

JUNO SSE K20 NA
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 03:12 PM

The Reverie seat is better than the stock Exige seat in all respects, but not by huge margins.

It has better lateral support because the sides are higher. The shoulders are slightly narrower so that could be good or bad based upon ones frame. I have a 31" waist and the fit is comfortable in the seat. The Reverie seat pads are cool too. I've got the yellow leather type.

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I recently got to sit in the '09 S260 Sport carbon fiber 'HANS' seat. It had tiny bit better lateral support but it's more or less the same as regular Exige seats mostly because the seat was too big for my frame. I liked that it had more room for helmet/HANS. In the stock Exige seats, there may be around an inch of a space between my head and the headrest pad, but on the Sport S260 CF seats there's about 2 inches of space making it perfect for helmet/HANS.

Tried Bride Zodia a while ago, and that didn't work out so well. My butt wouldn't clear the side bolsters, and it was like a scene out of 'Saw' movie series getting in and out of the car.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

I did contact Steve Tillett recently about mounting B6F using the EB-F1 bracket on top of stock sliders. The answer was, in short, "we haven't tried so we don't know, maybe it will work if you drill some holes".

According to my measurements, there is about 16" of room (~41cm) right around where I have my seats(I pull my seat fairly forward), so I don't think the FIA homologated one with rolled edges will work since it's 44cm. Not that I'll go racing so it won't mean much to me either way. I'm just sensitive about center console interference and destructive modding, although I'll do it if it makes sense.

I did find Tillett's EBF1 mounting info of some use.

I still wonder if Reverie XC makes more sense at this point since that seems like the perfect bolt-in solution. It's just that the shoulder 'wings' on it was reported to be tight for some people. It's also quite spendy.....

I'm so close to pulling the trigger!

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Ehey~ I finally pulled the trigger. I ended up going with the Reverie XC that was up for sale in the forum about a week ago.

I chose Reverie XC for its awesome lateral support EVERYWHERE and the fact that it's essentially a drop-in into the stock sliders. I just had to reinforce the slider mount with sys.6.pack, which also serves as a mounting point for the sub belt.
I did have to purchase a slotted crossmember from Sector111. Sector doesn't list it on their website, but they have it available if you ask about it.

The install was.. interesting at first. Everything fit as it was meant to be except the cross member 'flip up' interfered a bit with the slider's adjustment lever, so that had to be grinded down a tad.

The thing I was concerned about was the shifter console clearance issue as some have issues with it. I can say that I didn't run into clearance issue even with the seat pulled all the way forward. At the widest part of the seat that was closest to the shifter console, I measured my XC at 16.5"(41.91cm). The stock seat was slightly under, around 16.25"(41.275cm). With the seat pulled all the way forward, the available space was tad under 17"(43.18cm), so Tillet B5 (42cm) and 41cm version B6/B6F/B7 will clear, but 44cm versions of B6/B6F/B7 could run into issues. If the seat doesn't have to be pulled far forward, it won't be a problem. I thought this info could be valuable for potential seat seekers.

I retained the stock 3pt, but purely for cosmetic reasons since I like to keep things looking stock. It'll be impossible to use it especially because of the seat's shoulder 'wings' among other things. Plus, the way the Reverie XC is more reclined than stock made submarining with the 3pt a possibility. A member here that I exchanged few ideas with assured me that I'll die even in a minor crash if I dared to use the stock 3pts with the B6F due to submarining, and I'm sure it'll apply to the XC since the overall design has similarities.

I must say this, though. This seat is TIGHT. Another member here gave me a long term update on his purchase of the B6F where he stated that it makes "getting in and out a hassle" and said "you'll regret it for the first two weeks, after that you'll just be resigned to your fate heh." I share that sentiment despite having sat in it for total of less than 2 hours so far. Getting in and out is indeed a hassle, the high thigh/hip bolsters makes it fairly tough to rotate the body around to get in and out of the car. It'll be impossible to get my wallet out when strapped in, and taking things out of my front pockets problematic. I don't think it'll work with anyone larger than 33inch waist, taller than 5'11" and/or weigh over 180lbs.
The reclined seat position came as a bit of a surprise. I like to seat close to the steering wheel for maximum leverage and control, and this seating position meant I have to extend my arm out a farther. It also meant slightly less forward visibility but more peripheral visibility. I'm sure I'll get used to it, eventually. I might want to purchase a steering wheel spacer, although I fear it'll make in/egress that much more difficult. The correct way would be to install a quick release steering wheel, but that again pushes the car into the non-stock category that I'm not particularly fond of at the moment.
Interestingly, though, the reclined seat position gave me a better feel for the car and made heel-and-toe slightly easier, although I didn't really have difficulty heel/toeing in the first place with wider pedal covers. I also felt hyper-aware of the car's movement due to how tightly I was being held in the car even when the harness wasn't fully tightened. Every bit of twitch I made with the steering/gas/throttle/clutch I felt it. It's amazing, although it can potentially get tiring if I had to drive it on poorly maintained roads for extended periods of time. Since I made it clear in the beginning that I use the car 80% track, 20% street, this will be a non-issue for me.

Seat pads are just ordered from Reverie to prevent the seat from getting scratched in heavily used areas and bring back some level of comfort and improve the fit.

Overall, it's going to be slightly more pain in the ass, but I think the pros of having a tight fitting high-quality seat outweighs the con.

Additional thoughts on the subject...
I've never tried Tillett B6/B6F/B7, but I can say that the B5 is VERY comfortable in comparison.
I think in order of tightness in my experience is:
Bride Zodia < Reverie XC < Tillett B5 < Sport S260 HANS < Stock.

If I were to GUESS what other seats would be like, I IMAGINE it's something like:
Bride Zodia < Reverie XC = Tillett B6/B6F/B7 = Corbeau LE-X < Reverie Mulsanne C = Tillett B5 < Sport S260 HANS < Corbeau LE-Pro < Stock.
I'm sure I'm missing a few, and someone who has tried can maybe chime in and complete this comparison.

This thread could've proved useful if it was written in 2008, but hey, I thought some info was better than no info. Hopefully this thread will prove useful for someone looking for new seats. I'll update as I find anything interesting about the subject. I might go with even more hardcore setup or less, but I'll have to see what makes sense.

Thanks to @LionZoo , @acslater for letting me try your seat, everyone in this thread and @ExigeTT , @branzzz for your input, and @jcs and @mavila for the 'parts'.
I'd say my 6 month quest to find the right seat came to the end... more or less for the time being.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 06:29 AM

Garage
Looks good, you should try leaving the center console out and drive the car - I found that the shifter feels MUCH better without the console in. I probably couldn't fit the console anymore if I wanted to, but it actually is a noticeable difference getting into 5th gear.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 01:24 PM
jcs

I ultimately decided to sell that seat because of all the compromises I had to make using it on the street. I don't drive the car that often, but even the short weekend drives to car shows were a hassle.

I'm glad to see you are able to make better use of it than I was.

Quote:
I retained the stock 3pt, but purely for cosmetic reasons since I like to keep things looking stock. It'll be impossible to use it especially because of the seat's shoulder 'wings' among other things. Plus, the way the Reverie XC is more reclined than stock made submarining with the 3pt a possibility. A member here that I exchanged few ideas with assured me that I'll die even in a minor crash if I dared to use the stock 3pts with the B6F due to submarining, and I'm sure it'll apply to the XC since the overall design has similarities.
I kept my 3 point in (installing the seat with the stock belt going along the inside of the seat, then out the outboard lap belt hole) but never wore it. My plan was to find some kind of replacement seatbelt buckle that could be installed in place of the stock one, with like 6" of flexible webbing (similar to this) so that the buckle could actually go up through the inboard lap belt hole and attach to the stock belt kind of at your thigh, rather than at the side of the seat. I never ended up buying one though.

Having to deal with the 4/6 points every time I got in and out of the car sucked, and using them on the street is supposedly unsafe and definitely inconvenient. I didn't realize how often I need to move around and lean forward on the street, like to reach stuff in the car, roll down the passenger window, look at the passenger-side rear view mirror at a particular angle, etc.

Quote:
I must say this, though. This seat is TIGHT. Another member here gave me a long term update on his purchase of the B6F where he stated that it makes "getting in and out a hassle" and said "you'll regret it for the first two weeks, after that you'll just be resigned to your fate heh." I share that sentiment despite having sat in it for total of less than 2 hours so far. Getting in and out is indeed a hassle, the high thigh/hip bolsters makes it fairly tough to rotate the body around to get in and out of the car. It'll be impossible to get my wallet out when strapped in, and taking things out of my front pockets problematic. I don't think it'll work with anyone larger than 33inch waist, taller than 5'11" and/or weigh over 180lbs.
I'm about 5'7" and 140 pounds and the seat felt snug but not too tight around my waist and thighs. The only trouble I had was that my torso was too short for my shoulders to rest inside the seat wings properly (this also affects how far the shoulder belts of the harness have to angle down across your collarbone). Then once I raised myself up with a seat pad to fit inside those, it was a bit too tight for my shoulders to be crammed between the wings.

Quote:
The reclined seat position came as a bit of a surprise. I like to seat close to the steering wheel for maximum leverage and control, and this seating position meant I have to extend my arm out a farther. It also meant slightly less forward visibility but more peripheral visibility. I'm sure I'll get used to it, eventually. I might want to purchase a steering wheel spacer, although I fear it'll make in/egress that much more difficult. The correct way would be to install a quick release steering wheel, but that again pushes the car into the non-stock category that I'm not particularly fond of at the moment.
I am short so the seat had to be as far forward as possible (hitting the front bolts from the sys.6.pack), which meant the space between the high thigh bolster and the bottom left corner of the steering wheel was minimized, making it difficult to get in and out my usual way.

The reclined seat position and lower visibility was a big deal for me, to the point where I felt uncomfortable driving on the street because I couldn't see much over the front of the car (for seeing what's on the road in front of me at crosswalks, etc.). I solved this with a race seat pad that I covered with alcantara and velcroed into the seat. Raised me up to see over the front of the car and got my shoulders up in between the wings of the seat.

Since I sold this seat, I'm back to the stock Exige seat that I cut a hole in and had an upholstery shop sew some leather into so I could use the sub belt with my harnesses. Still on the lookout for a proper seat that I can safely/comfortably use on the street while still having better thigh support for the track...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in