Originally Posted by Randy Chase
Ok, let's start the ball rolling. First of all, harnesses and restraints are related so maybe it should be the same thread. Here are the things that I've been ruminating about
1. I bought and installed the BWR bar but I don't like the way it leads and I worry that it will rotate, regardless of the angled tabs. The 4-Tress bar looks like a better placement and a better design.
2. I bought the Schroth 5 point harnesses which turn out to be 4 point harnesses (with the anti-sub breakaway feature) with a substrap added. These do not seem a match for the Teamtech harnesses which I used in my prior car. And they are specifically not HANS compatible.
3. I bough the sub mounting bars and installed them. My drivers seat is a Reverie and the sub belt comes through the hole in the seat. However, there is so little space between the bar and the seat that the buckle must be all the way up on the mounting strap and the adjustment strap must also be tightened all the way. It works but there's no flexibility.
4. The passenger seat is still stock so the sub strap comes around the front and the shoulder harness staps come around the seat. These leads are really not satisfactory.
5. Both the substraps and the lap belts depend on the bolts which hold the sliders and seat frames to the floor. These are pretty small bolts which are tapped into aluminum. Not a very confidence-inspiring arrangement. Through-bolts with eyes and spreader plates would be better.
6. Since the windshield is not a structural member, the "broomstick" goes from the top of the roll hoop to the hood, leaving little or no room for the driver's head in a roll-over. I assume that's why the FIA approved set-up has the Petty bar in from the passenger footwell to a triangle structure at the roll hoop.
7. So I'm running the car as described but I'm a little nervous about these issues. What have you done and what do you think?