The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Schroth Profi II 6pt./S111 SysPak - Angles?

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Kingsol 
#1 · (Edited)
I am installing a Schroth Profi II 6pt. harness with a Reverie seat on the driver's side. I've done quite a bit of research and I'm looking to use the S111 syspak and eye bolts for lap belt attachment points.

My question has to do with the lap belt and sub-strap mounting angles. Schroth recommends that the lap belt downward angle be approximately 60 degrees (I'm 5'8" and I have to move my seat up which increases the angle). However, with the lap belt eye bolts bolted to the floor next to the rear seat bolts, the downward angle is greater than 60 degrees. Would it be safer to mount the lap bolts to the seat/seat rail to achieve a better angle and run the risk of the seat dislodging in an impact, rendering the lap belts useless (I'm assuming this is less of a risk with the S111 syspak)?

Secondly, the Schroth recommended angle for the sub-strap is 20 degrees back. The mounting points for the sub-strap with the syspak is close to the rear of the seat, making the angle much greater than 20 degrees. Is this the best solution or would attaching the strap to a sub bar on the seat rail be a better solution?

#3 ·
Here you can see the sys.6.pack installed in my car, it's an Opel Speedster which ist based on the Elise MKII:

Speedster 2009-03 - a set on Flickr

My lap belts are mounted to the standard mounting points on the seat frame. I would have preferred mounting them to the floor. But once you install the sys.6.pack there isn't really any space left in the area of the floor that would be used for the backing plates.

As for lap belt mounting, pick your poison. There is no way to achieve the Schroth recommended angle. The floor is too soft in that area. So it's either forward, like the Lotus factory solution. Or a steeper backward angle with the sys.6.pack.

Regards, Eric

#4 ·
Thanks Eric. You're right, there's really no room for eyebolts with the syspak installed.

In fact, after much thought, I decided to mount the lap belts to the stock mounting points. Using eyebolts for the lap belts would have been stronger anchor points than the stock mounting points, but the negatives seemed too great: the belts crossed over the metal rails and the angle for the lap belt would be way off.

The stock mountings points maintained the correct geometry and with the syspak installed I'm not worried about the screws holding the rail sheering off. As far as the substrap goes, there's really no good solution.

Overall, I'm relatively happy with my setup as there multiple anchor points of the 6pt, which would lessen the risk of a complete failure if any one of the mounting points happen to give.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.