LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Safety (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f238/)
-   -   Solo (Auto-X) Helmet Question (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f238/solo-auto-x-helmet-question-102958/)

DeanG 06-26-2011 06:17 AM

Solo (Auto-X) Helmet Question

What should I get, where can I get a cheep helmet for auto-x usa?

My Simpson race helmet aged out for auto-X. I won’t be doing any more track days so all I need is a full face helmet, something to pass the inspection and fit comfortably. Did I mention cheep?

AustinP 06-26-2011 07:13 AM

8 Attachment(s)
You can find SA2005 helmets on close-out sales, since SA2010 helmets are available, just search for "SA2005 helmet sale". Of course they will only be good for 4 years before they expire, but maybe by then you can invest in another helmet.

James A 06-30-2011 08:07 AM

I got a push e-mail from Saferacer last week advertising Zamp Racing full face helmets, SA2010, for $169. I don't know a thing about these helmets but they seem to fit your need for cheap.
SafeRacer - Auto Racing Safety Equipment, Auto Racing Gear, Auto Racing Helmets, Auto Racing Suits

MusicCity_Elise 06-30-2011 11:18 AM

It is is just for auto-x, many motorcycle helmets will meet SCCA requirements.
You can pick up pre-owned ones on craigslist all the time for cheap, cheap, cheap. Just make sure the helmet meets your local sanctioning minimum requirements.

DeanG 06-30-2011 12:41 PM

Thanks for the responses.

The SNELL website has a list of all the manufacturers and models that recieved their rating. Based on this I picked up a HJC motorcycle helemet and the local cycle emporium. SNELL 2010 rated.

philethier 06-30-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanG (Post 1612705)
Thanks for the responses.

The SNELL website has a list of all the manufacturers and models that recieved their rating. Based on this I picked up a HJC motorcycle helemet and the local cycle emporium. SNELL 2010 rated.

The most popular autocross helmet. You will see national champions with HJC open-face helmets. Mine would still be legal for SCCA Solo (M2000), but not for the more-stringent local council because we have to follow PCA and NCCC regs.

I went to buy a used Pyrotect SA2005. When I got there, the guy was wrong it was an M2005. I took it anyway for a $20 discount. It's essentially a copy of a Bell Magnum (Mag4).

I donated the HJC to the local Austin-Healey club as a loaner. Their insurance is from their national club, they are not a member of the local autocross council and M2000 is still cool with them.