Sub Harness Slot Location - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Sub Harness Slot Location

So I had my Exige seat on the operating table last night, Dremel in hand ready to cut my 6-pt sub harness hole and decided to stop based on the placement of the seat bottom crossmember. Using Schroth's guidelines of putting the slot directly in line with my groin, the ideal slot location for me is about an inch behind the front of the crossmember (on the body of the crossmember, so that's a no go). Several forum members have said locating the slot behind the crossmember is better than in front of it. My main concerns are comfort and safety. It seems that with that setup I might need to wear a cup to avoid discomfort with the harness properly tightened since there will be rearward tension on the sub belts. And in a crash, if my pelvis slides forward, I'm picturing a painful, direct groinal impact. I've heard that the load gets spread across your thighs, but I don't see how since the straps will be right next to each other/overlapping (using the sys.6.pack). For those who have their sub harness slot behind the crossmember, is this not the case in practice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 PM

Get it as far forward but behind the crossmember as you can. Putting it close to the lip of the seat as some do defeats the purpose of the sixth belt.

In practice it probably depends a little on how large your butt and thighs are. The belt is snug, but snug is what you want. If the attachment point was 4 inches forward, imagine the joy of your unrestrained pelvis accelerating into the belts.

One of the tips I got once that stayed with me is to tighten the harness even more, until it almost hurts, right before you get going. A few seconds later you won't notice.

[SOLD] 2005 Lotus Elise, NFB with orange trim N/A+ Nitron DA's+gPan+little tiny Odyssey battery++ Lotus Sport seats+ DBA 5000's/Stainless++Lotus Sport wheels ++ V2 stuff like gas tank, arms ++Track pack harness bar/6pt++2Bular GT3 and sport cat++ quick release and a few steering wheels++ custom rear delete++ Magical Racing mirrors with custom mounts ++ RTD brace ++ toe link upgrade++ other little stuff
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 02:07 PM

Well, you're on the right track going 6 point. You can wiggle and squirm yourself into a comfortable position with a 6 in ways you never could with a 5. Sorry for any unwanted visuals, but trust me on this. 6>5.

11 Exige Final Edition - The White Car
87 Ferrari 328 - The Red Car
08 Mazda MX5 - The Black Car
05 Ferrari 430 - The Loud Car
09 VW EOS - The Land Barge

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 11:29 PM

Anti-sub restraints

6 point is the way to go.

The sole purpoe of Anti-submarine belts is to stop the main belt restraint from rising up over your pelvis. If the main belt is not positioned tightly down over your pelvis then Anti-sub belts can cause serious harm in an impact.

The position of the 6-point floor pan attachment should be directly vertical to your groin or slightly forward.

I would recommend anyone fitting Anti-sub belts should read the attached from Schroth first - particularly pages 8 and 16.

Oops, tells me file too large to post.

There is a pdf of it at the bottom of this page:

Simply Sports Cars -Anti-sub belt bracket - Lotus- Lotus
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

So it sounds like this is the upshot -- with the slot behind your groin, the 6pt sub straps are safe for, and comfy on your boys as long as you snug the harness enough and wiggle to a comfortable position. Is that right?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingbeast View Post
So it sounds like this is the upshot -- with the slot behind your groin, the 6pt sub straps are safe for, and comfy on your boys as long as you snug the harness enough and wiggle to a comfortable position. Is that right?
Okay, I just did my first track weekend with the 6-point (w/ the slot aft of the crossmember) and I can confirm this is the case.

Thanks for your replies, guys.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 10:56 AM

any measurements or photos of your slot? (que NSFW jokes) before I dremel into my seats

/\\
'05 Katana'd Elise
'06 Mini Cooper S
'98 Camaro SS
'96 Saleen S281 #05
'00 Lotus Elise Sport160
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in