Is there a HANS device for 4-pt ASM harness? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Is there a HANS device for 4-pt ASM harness?

I've been researching options to make my car safer on the track, but it's not a dedicated track car, I daily drive this thing, so I'm trying not to compromise streetability all that much. I'm retrofitting the Lotus stock harness bar (thanks RoadDad for the parts list!), but now comes the question of seats and harnesses. From what I understand of physics, when a harness stops me in a collision my torso stops way fast, so my head will want to come off. Ideally, I'd like to prevent that , but it appears that the Scroth 4-pt ASM is incompatible with HANS devices, 3-pt + helmet is probably safer, but I need more support since I'm flopping around in the seat in turns. So, is anyone aware of any ASM harness compatible HANS devices? I'll run 5 or 6pt harnesses if I have to, but I imagine I'll get annoyed sitting on buckle pieces and I don't like the notion of butchering my seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:30 AM

According to HMS the Schroth ASM harnesses are HANS compatible:
http://sector111.com/products/performance/asm-hans.pdf

2007 AS Exige S, Multivex Mirrors, Cup Airbox, Saikou Michi Oil Catch Cans, Manly's Motor Mounts, Schroth PROFI II ASM Harnesses + Sector111 HW Kit, Prototype Composites Splitter w/ smooth radius and plinth delete, V2arms.

1988 BMW M3, Alpine Weiss/Cardinal.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, interesting, thank you. I had seen the sticker on the Scroth harnesses which said they weren't compatible, and I just assumed that was true for all of them.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:46 AM

I would highly recommend that you check out the R3 device from Safety Solutions.

Safety Solutions - Racing Seatbelts| Safety Restraint | Auto Harness

It is SFI certified and it does not require a harness to work correctly. It will even work in a car with stock seat belts. No affiliation, just a happy user. They make a removable pad that you stick in the seat and then sit back against it. I use mine in my F600 road racing, but I have used it once or twice in my Elise at the track.

'05 Lotus Elise Saffron Yellow, Touring, Sport, Stainless Brake Lines, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace

NovaKBS Forumla 600 Powered by Suzuki GSXR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgCkAxrPpBg
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
I would highly recommend that you check out the R3 device from Safety Solutions.

Safety Solutions - Racing Seatbelts| Safety Restraint | Auto Harness

It is SFI certified and it does not require a harness to work correctly. It will even work in a car with stock seat belts. No affiliation, just a happy user. They make a removable pad that you stick in the seat and then sit back against it. I use mine in my F600 road racing, but I have used it once or twice in my Elise at the track.
+1 on being a happy R3 user. I will point out that there is a 1.5" inch thick spine on the R3 that goes half way down your back. as the previous poster mentioned, there is a pad that makes it more comfortable. However, it pushes you forward, so it will make your stock seats less supportive.

Mark

former Porsche lover
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christsay View Post
According to HMS the Schroth ASM harnesses are HANS compatible:
http://sector111.com/products/performance/asm-hans.pdf
Very surprising. HANS requires the shoulder harness to remain taut. The ASM belt has a "breakaway" on one of the shoulder belts, rendering the HANS nonfunctional. I wonder how they are getting away with this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by road racer View Post
Very surprising. HANS requires the shoulder harness to remain taut. The ASM belt has a "breakaway" on one of the shoulder belts, rendering the HANS nonfunctional. I wonder how they are getting away with this.
Indeed, I double checked on the Schroth product webpage for the profi ii ASM (Schroth Racing Harnesses) and they backup the release from HMS:

You can add a single or dual sub strap to make this belt into a 5 point or 6 point at any time. We have recently tested this harness with a HANS device, and the results were great. You can use 4 point ASM Harnesses with a HANS device.

-chris

2007 AS Exige S, Multivex Mirrors, Cup Airbox, Saikou Michi Oil Catch Cans, Manly's Motor Mounts, Schroth PROFI II ASM Harnesses + Sector111 HW Kit, Prototype Composites Splitter w/ smooth radius and plinth delete, V2arms.

1988 BMW M3, Alpine Weiss/Cardinal.

Last edited by christsay; 09-17-2010 at 06:12 AM. Reason: missed a closing paren.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:07 AM

I have an R3 as well and it's OK. I get a bit of redness/chafing from the chest strap.

The pad is only really necessary, IMO, if you tend to bend your head forward. If I keep my head aligned with your spine (back of helmet firmly against seat), the thickness of the R3 doesn't bother me.

2012 Volcano Orange McLaren MP4-12C
2007 BMW 335i

Sold: 2007 Polar Blue Exige S, Gotham, Track/Touring/LSD, Moroso, Larini 6", misc. Reverie bling
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 10:38 AM

If you're going to be setting up belts for a HANS device, I suggest you read the FIA guide in this link

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/D05EDB3E8EF2FB81C12573150041C255/$FILE/Guide_HANS_2007.pdf

'05 Storm Titanium / Red
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 12:42 PM

HMS aka Joe Marko gave me the green light on my HANS with that harness till its time to replace. Is it a perfect solution? No! Is it better than 3 point belts or 4 point with no HANS? Evidently so! Testing of HANS under differing conditions keeps pointing to the same fact. The HANS works and protects that vital part of your body. The neck. I know a few guys here got on their soapbox on me a few months back, but if you are formally racing yea you should have 6points, racing seats with custom engineered mounting, harness placement, etc. In a perfect world where everything was free, we'd all do that. For those of us that do some HPDE days, etc, as we start pushing the envelope more, it is wise for us to enhance our safety equipment. I feel more secure and safe with my HANS than without. When I replace my belts, ?next year, I will go 5-6 point, but for now, it is an incremental improvement. I find it hard to believe you are safer without a HANS than with one as long as the belts are securely placed over the lip of the shoulder frame!
BTW, seen as I am in a street car, if it really hits the fan, I still have the airbag also!! next thing I'll hear is that also dangerous and it should be disconnected??

BTW notice the year of that FIA guide 2007??

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in