LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Safety (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f238/)
-   -   tire splitting? (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f238/tire-splitting-338441/)

spaparizos 11-22-2015 05:23 PM

tire splitting?

1 Attachment(s)
My rear tire decided to split itself. I am not sure how to describe it. I have a line all around the tire as if someone carefully removed a piece. See attached picture.

Anyone has seen something like this or has suggestions what happened?

This is from today at Sonoma. I was fairly slow and I doubt I got the tires up to temp. After I saw this I called it a day.

Tires are toyo r888 and they are a few months since installed.

time for new rears I guess ....

LotusCC 11-22-2015 05:39 PM

Looks like it was rubbing on something inside the wheel well or that tire is defective.

spaparizos 11-22-2015 06:28 PM

I also thought something inside the wheel well was doing this. But it did not seem that way from what ever I could see without removing the wheel and lifting the car.. I will check it in more detail soon as I need to replace this.

The photo is slightly misaligned by the way. The left most black tire spot on the car is exactly aligned with the missing part of the tire. As if the tire piece flew and hit the car from there.

sturgeongeneral 11-23-2015 10:13 AM

What is the date code on the tire? I say they sold you an old tire.

Mr.C 11-23-2015 12:02 PM

636 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sturgeongeneral (Post 4481289)
What is the date code on the tire? I say they sold you an old tire.

Scary picture
But I doubt tire age is the issue based on the amount of rubber build up on the tire.
I never get that much rubber build up when running older or heat cycled tires.

jds62f 11-23-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.C (Post 4481457)
Scary picture
But I doubt tire age is the issue based on the amount of rubber build up on the tire.
I never get that much rubber build up when running older or heat cycled tires.

I find that the amount of build up tends to be a factor of who I'm running with. Lots of guys with slicks out there = lots more 'gunk' on my own tires.

Agree it looks to me like something cut into the tire. Sometimes its hard to tell what it could be because of suspension movement. Definitely replace the tire, but I'd be inclined to remove the damper and move everything up and down and see if anything touches.

khamai 11-23-2015 03:24 PM

Stelios,

Appears like a cut versus any sort of separation. Typically tire separation is not so even, more irregular and wavy. This looks like a groove, which points more to something external.

Hopefully you find the cause, like something off the suspension, wheel well or similar. But I can also imagine picking up something on track and having it lodge in the wheel well and falling out when you slowed and then it dropped out in the pit lane.

You can try taking to a tire shop and see if they will accept that it's something other than road damage and cover it under the tire warranty. Of course with that much build up it will be hard to say you got that driving on 101! :)

Good Luck
Kiyoshi

spaparizos 11-23-2015 03:45 PM

Tire code is 3714, so not that old really. And the tires did not feel old or heat cycled either.

My question is if the tire was defective, what would trigger losing a strip of rubber like that? Blistering? And wouldn't other people have seen something similar before? Toyo is telling me to find an authorized dealer to examine the tire in case there are warranty issues. Finding a local toyo dealer that know how to lift lotus cars is a different story ... :-)

I looked carefully in the wheel well and felt the inside with my hand and nothing seems out of place. At this point, I am also thinking temporary debris that cut the tire during that session and later fell off, as Kiyoshi said. I am taking it to a shop on Wednesday to replace the tire. I plan to ask them to take a close look, just to be sure it is not something permanent that needs fixing.

I was pretty bummed out when it happened. But at this point, I am pretty happy that the tire did not go off completely (losing a tire at Sonoma would have been ugly.....)

LotusCC 11-23-2015 08:56 PM

Just take the tire/wheel off and bring that to the authorized dealer.

No need to have them figuring out how to properly lift your car.

brgelise 12-09-2015 11:56 AM

THat is at edge of tread and think you had a belt separate. A rare defective tire IMHO unless it looks like a knife smooth cut.

shay2nak 12-09-2015 08:10 PM

The groove looks deep as if it were sliced.

sleepe 01-24-2016 10:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It's clear you exceeded the G limits of the tire.

The groove is so precise, almost surgical, that it must
be a defect.