Where do I locate the 5/6 point hole in Exige seat - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 111Joe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Where do I locate the 5/6 point hole in Exige seat

Can someone who has around a 34" waist and who has added a 5 point hole to their exige seats give me some advice on where to put the hole? I am thinking about half way back the first big cushion section but I am open to suggestions, I've never even sat in a 5 point car before so I am not 100% sure what it should feel like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 02:18 PM

You should determine the mounting point yourself. Sit in the car with the lap belt secured and measure where the buckle sits while the lap is as low and tight as you can make it. That is the purpose of the 5th point belt, to hold the lap belt down so it can't slip up over your hipbones. Your installation instructions will have a range of acceptable angles for the 5th point belt. Use that geometry to find where place the mounting point and the seat slot.

But please do not take this advice without consulting and diligently following the instructions from the manufacturer. If you don't have a copy, they are available online.

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Y. Berra
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 07:07 PM

Which is it? 5 or 6 point? They go in very different locations.

If you must run a 5 point. Position the hole by drawing a straight line down your chest along the shoulder belts, where that line hits the seat, put the hole. The belt should be mounted somewhere below that hole where the belt will not be rerouted around the seat. The 5th point sub strap is designed to keep the lap belts down, 5 points are no longer recommended, they may cause more harm than good an a 4 point ASM is a better alternative.

A 6 point belt would have the hole positioned rearward of, or directly below, the buckle. You either want the sub strap belt to go straight down (perpendicular to the floor), or 20 degrees backwards from vertical. What this does is pull your hips backward in the seat and keeps the lap belts down as well.

Give this a look.
https://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/...structions.pdf
andreas2 likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

So it turns out that you can only really put this in one place, right in front of the metal cross bar in the seat, if you put it behind it would be too far back. I installed the 6 point just in front of the bar which is JUST behind the buckle, not as far as I would like, but it is now WAY better then the 4 pt alone was.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 06:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 111Joe View Post
Which is it? 5 or 6 point? They go in very different locations.

If you must run a 5 point. Position the hole by drawing a straight line down your chest along the shoulder belts, where that line hits the seat, put the hole. The belt should be mounted somewhere below that hole where the belt will not be rerouted around the seat. The 5th point sub strap is designed to keep the lap belts down, 5 points are no longer recommended, they may cause more harm than good an a 4 point ASM is a better alternative.

A 6 point belt would have the hole positioned rearward of, or directly below, the buckle. You either want the sub strap belt to go straight down (perpendicular to the floor), or 20 degrees backwards from vertical. What this does is pull your hips backward in the seat and keeps the lap belts down as well.

Give this a look.
https://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/...structions.pdf
One thing I've always struggled with is knowing how tight the sub straps should be - do you have a recommendation for that?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater View Post
One thing I've always struggled with is knowing how tight the sub straps should be - do you have a recommendation for that?
I would suggest as tight as is comfortable, the less slack you have, the less your body is going to move.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 08:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 111Joe View Post
I would suggest as tight as is comfortable, the less slack you have, the less your body is going to move.
Yea, I always figured as tight as possible without crushing my gentleman bits under hard braking lol
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 07:03 AM

Either 5 or 6 sub belts in a sedan are designed to keep the lap belt on the pelvis. The position of the hole for the belt needs to be to accomplish that goal.

Here is a simple set of instructions:
http://www.jegs.com/instructions/471...essinstall.pdf

We have made 100 or so sub belt mounts which mount to the stock seat rails and move with the seat. This is strong enough to HPDE use and has the advantage of moving with the seat so the sub belt will have an acceptable angle for all drivers. Really helps when multiple drivers use the same car or an instructor is behind the wheel for a demo lap.

Here is a link to the sub mount, I'm using them on both seats of my Elise:
Cedar Ridge Fabrication

For race applications I would suggest floor mounting specific to the driver's body and the slide location you find the most comfortable. This is required by most sanctioning body.

2006 Elise with BOE 400 supercharger and some aero mods, CRF floating oversized rotors, MCS single adjust coil overs, CRF exhaust, CRF sway bar w/adjustable link, mono-ball pivots, machined steer arms, baffled oil pan, CRF titanium toe link brace, hardened motor mounts, Ethos wheels w/Yoko slicks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumdave View Post
Either 5 or 6 sub belts in a sedan are designed to keep the lap belt on the pelvis. The position of the hole for the belt needs to be to accomplish that goal.

Here is a simple set of instructions:

http://www.jegs.com/instructions/471...essinstall.pdf

We have made 100 or so sub belt mounts which mount to the stock seat rails and move with the seat. This is strong enough to HPDE use and has the advantage of moving with the seat so the sub belt will have an acceptable angle for all drivers. Really helps when multiple drivers use the same car or an instructor is behind the wheel for a demo lap.

Here is a link to the sub mount, I'm using them on both seats of my Elise:

Cedar Ridge Fabrication

For race applications I would suggest floor mounting specific to the driver's body and the slide location you find the most comfortable. This is required by most sanctioning body.

I finally got your mounts installed this past weekend! Hopefully I never test their strength, but I have no doubt they'll work well

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in