LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Safety (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f238/)
-   -   Willans harness lap belts are too long for me...what are my options? (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f238/willans-harness-lap-belts-too-long-me-what-my-options-93649/)

6i9 10-16-2010 01:37 PM

Willans harness lap belts are too long for me...what are my options?

Hi all

The Willans harness, OEM harness bar, and Sparco Rev seat were installed in my car yesterday. The only problem is that I am a pretty slim guy (which is why the Rev seat is a great choice) and the Willans lap belts are too long. Even at the tightest adjustment, they are too loose around my waist.

Is there a place I can send my lap belts to be cut and restitched so that the belt is about 1-2" shorter? Right now to tighten it snugly, I can only pull the shoulder belts, which raises the lap belt to my stomach/midsection. I dont think this is safe, and I also dont have a antisub belt. Even with one though, I was advised my nuts would be severed in a crash with the anti sub belt and lap belt so high.

Any suggestions from slimmer Lotus guys??

fishguy 10-16-2010 02:30 PM

if I understand correctly then you are going with a 4 point non ASM harness?
if this is the case, get a substrap.
the 4 point non ASM is bad news, and can cause some serve injuries.
many clubs will not even allow you to participate with that set up you describe, even it it fit you correctly.

try crow to see if they can shorten your belts for you.
Crow Enterprizes Home

do yourself a favor and make sure everything is correct before you track the car with the new set up. you have come this far with your choices:up:, finish it off right with a sub belt, not much more $ to get it.

hope that helps

6i9 10-16-2010 02:42 PM

Thanks for your prompt input

Yes, I definitely will be getting a 5/6 point belt from Willans...and the good news is I found I could tighten the lap belts a little more than I initially thought, so the lap belts are actually nice and snug now. The shoulder belts though, if tightened to secure my back to the seat, raises the lap belt a little, despite it being snug.

If I add the 5/6 pt, I feel there will still be some play in the shoulder belts and I would be able to lean forward a little bit.

fishguy 10-16-2010 02:57 PM

perhaps you could take up some of the "extra space" in the seat by making an insert out of a bead seat kit.
its easy to make them, and it will fit your body like a glove.
a small kit would likely be all that you need.
there is also a two part seat foam kit available for much less $, but i think the bead seats are superior for safety.

6i9 10-16-2010 03:17 PM

Do you mean a foam kit for more padding of the seat, so that I sit forward a bit? That could work...Thanks for the advice

petersracing 10-16-2010 05:51 PM

Are you Willans lap belts "pull down" or "pull up". I think the pull up ones are shorter or at least are easier to use all the available adjustment. Might be worth changing one of them over as it makes it much easier to get that last little squeeze that rearranges your internal organs and lets you know its tight enough. Willans will happily supply single pieces.
What are you using as mounting points on your race seat? I'm using the standard mounting points for the road belt lap and they are definitely not right for me and that means the shoulder harness tends to pull up the buckle more than I would like. I do believe that whether or not you have ASM the lap belt geometry should resist that so the mounts should be further forward.

fishguy 10-16-2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6i9 (Post 1506910)
Do you mean a foam kit for more padding of the seat, so that I sit forward a bit? That could work...Thanks for the advice

this stuff
Pegasus - Creafoam Bead Seat Kit