Ads with auto scripts - potential risk? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Got Boost?

Garage
Ads with auto scripts - potential risk?

I was reading a thread and one of the adds ran a script that auto links you away from lotus talk and gives you a flash warning.
You can't back click out unless you right click and select the previous link.

Sorry, I didn't get to screen shot any of it. I do not know which adds where on the pages as there are so many to begin with.
This was on my desktop using chrome. I had a similar issue using desktop classic mode on ios.

Please moderate the ads your website is using if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 02:41 AM
Nein Kinder

Yes, that type of ad is a very serious security risk and one of the primary reasons I will continue to use an ad blocker here. Site operators who say they canít put a stop to this kind of foolishness are more interested in ad revenue than their readers.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 10:22 AM
Administrator

@TIPSP Can you send me a link to the thread you were on when it redirected you?

Niall

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Got Boost?

Garage
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Were you using a mobile device? Iphone or Android?

Kevin
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Got Boost?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Were you using a mobile device? Iphone or Android?

Kevin
Nope. On my desktop. Chrome browser. It was a random occurance. Has not happened since.

It did happen once before on the iso browser on my phone but I use the desktop version of the site. Not the Mobile.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Thanks,

The next time you get this, grab us the full URL of that pop-up.
Also mention what browser/device you were using at that time.
We'll get it blocked.

Ed
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Got Boost?

Garage
Hi Ed.

Auto Script just happened again. Different auto redirect site this time though. Very loud beep plays and lots of warning messages show up.

Here is the url (if you edit my post you can see the full url):

http://gbp3145.space/ln/HWIene4tCKdZ...RXrgqq.qqqq.qq

Do not click the link...

It happend as I was looking at this forsale post: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95...wheels-463478/

Again. this is not the same auto redirect as last time. This a new one. I was using chrome browser. Just like like last time.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 02:19 AM

Im glad i'm not the only one this has happened to. This happens randomly when visiting random threads. This is when mobile browsing using android pixel 2 unmodified OS

Incase I'm asking for help with something: 2011 Evora N/A C/R 6sp with BOE TVS 1900 S/C kit
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Sent that up to be blocked.

Thanks,
- jb
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 08:44 AM

Just got this when clicking menu button from the Evora section. Android OS
Attached Images

Incase I'm asking for help with something: 2011 Evora N/A C/R 6sp with BOE TVS 1900 S/C kit
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 10:02 AM
Nein Kinder

So let’s add a little clarity to this discussion. Web site admins contract with service providers who in turn provide advertisements. The web site shares in the revenue generated by views or clicks of advertisements displayed on their pages.

The web site - via the service provider - is absolutely in a position to control what kind of ads are displayed. IT’S THEIR WEBSITE. Service providers can’t serve up something the web site says it doesn’t want. So if you’re getting those nifty modeless dialogue boxes like in the post above, where you have no choice but to run whatever garbage is behind that “OK” button, it is because the web site admin is fine with that. (Or you can try removing the app from memory, reload it and try to kill the page before it reloads.) No ifs, and or buts, they’re fine with that.

Hey @Administrator , nobody . . . NOBODY likes this kind of junk. You’d be mightily irritated if it happened to you on your device. How about killing the ads that run scripts, put up modeless dialog boxes you can’t kill, or cover what I’m trying to read with the ad? We shouldn’t have to screen every ad for you, get hit with whatever garbage the ad serves, and then have to ask you to stop harming our devices. It’s your web site . . . you’re in control . . . please exercise that control for the benefit of your customers.

Glen
jds62f and Turbopun like this.

2011 Lotus Elise SC

Last edited by Glen; 11-30-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: sp
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 12:08 PM
Administrator

These are rogue popups and not something we put in place. You will see these all over the net, and especially around the holidays.

We need URL's to get them blocked, so if you see them, provide them and we'll send them up.

@John Z - Thanks for that. Sent it up.

- JB
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 12:39 PM
Nein Kinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
These are rogue popups and not something we put in place. You will see these all over the net, and especially around the holidays.
. . .
It is disingenuous to mischaracterize what’s going on and then use that as a defense. These rotten ads are not “all over the net” as you suggest, they’re only where sites have contracted with brokers for that kind of ad or where brokers can’t or don’t control which ads are being displayed. I visit plenty of commercial web sites who don’t serve the kinds of ads mentioned in this thread.

The company (or companies) you contract with are brokers. They collect ads from other entities who want to display them on your site. Brokers have the ability (and responsibility) to accept or reject ads based on their characteristics. Some brokers have ended up serving ads which they did not vet because a bad actor circumvented their security. Their INSUFFICIENT security. If you are serving us ads that don’t meet whatever criteria you established in your initial deal, then either the broker isn’t honoring your contract or their security has been circumvented. In any case, you have chosen to continue doing business with these brokers. You can refuse to do business with brokers who expose your readers to security risks.

I appreciate the need to support web sites with a revenue stream. But it doesn’t have to come at the expense of your readers’ security.

Glen

p.s. - I’ll not continue this sentiment further . . . I’ve made my point as clear as I know how.
Turbopun likes this.

2011 Lotus Elise SC

Last edited by Glen; 11-30-2018 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Add postscript
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:38 PM

Garage
Glen is right. I like terse bullet points (like you see in a legal argument - hint, hint)

-The website is ad supported by advertisers who pay to have ads on forum sites
-ALL CONTENT served as part of a website (including this one) is the responsibility of the operators of that site.
-Having a contractual arrangement with a web ad brokering company does not abrogate your duty to not push malware at us
-If you're having trouble with your ad brokers allowing crap in their ad streams to you...

Consider setting up your own advertising department and doing ads yourself. You know...like every print publication did for the last century or so? Then you will have complete and final editorial control over ad content on the site.

Alternatively, threaten your broker with dropping their contract if one more bad ad gets through. Then follow through if one more ad does.

Their fiduciary responsibility is to their advertisers, not you. That's why you don't get much traction with them. If you were to stop using them, they might notice that they coudln't sell ad space to their customers anymore.

Alternatively, take all ads off the site and have a member funding drive. I've belonged to several sites that do this and it generally works out quite well. The members would be more inclined to donate if they saw a P&L of your site operations...
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Got Boost?

Garage
Here is another link.

https://northeastapp.com/campaign/la...47&SUTM=339876

Chrome browser.

Regards,
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPSP View Post
I was reading a thread and one of the adds ran a script that auto links you away from lotus talk and gives you a flash warning.
You can't back click out unless you right click and select the previous link.

Sorry, I didn't get to screen shot any of it. I do not know which adds where on the pages as there are so many to begin with.
This was on my desktop using chrome. I had a similar issue using desktop classic mode on ios.

Please moderate the ads your website is using if you can.
are you on a mac or a pc?
and any extension on your browser?

Lee
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:04 AM

Been getting worse again..

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:14 PM

I'm going to stat using thelotusforums.com. just today 3 times.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Hello there,

Very sorry about this.
We will need the full redirect URL and device that you were using at the time.
Once I get this info, I'll send it up to the techs.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Lotus Talk Forum Feedback and Site Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in