Attachment and Gallery Limitations - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Glen
  • 1 Post By exigegus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Nein Kinder

Attachment and Gallery Limitations

I recently posted some information on LotusTalk and had to insert an external link to a PDF. That prompts this post describing two problems.

Iím maxed out at 60 images in the Gallery and cannot add any more. These are images Iíve used to illustrate posts here on LotusTalk. By storing them on LotusTalk, Iíve made it much more likely they will be available to readers in the future. Weíve all run across old posts that read ďsee the picture for how to fix this problem,Ē but the member and externally-linked picture are long gone. Thatís a loss for LotusTalk and its members. Iíve already gone through my gallery and pruned pics that are outdated or of little interest. How about increasing the gallery limit so I can continue to create and insert long-lasting illustrations?

A second concern is that there is no way to archive and attach text documents. Several times Iíve had to convert text documents to large images to convey information (usually a PNG to keep text readable). Thatís not an optimal strategy and almost always takes more storage space than the equivalent PDF. How about allowing users to attach and store PDFs?

Glen
O LEE O likes this.

2011 Lotus Elise SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 03:16 AM

can you get away with attaching pdf files if they're in a zip archive? that's how i get around the file type limitation and include binary files.

did you get increased file volume allotment in the gallery by becoming a paying member?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Nein Kinder

Inline pdf attachments are allowed, but they have a 500kB limit . . . that's pretty small. The PDF user manual for an Elise - even optimized and reduced in size - is over 9,000 kB. To share that document here in a permanent manner, we need to be able to store it here and link to it (I doubt admin wants to increase the attachment limit to 9mB or more).

> did you get increased file volume allotment in the gallery by becoming a paying member?

Not sure - I switched to a Lifetime membership pretty quickly, so I don't know how membership affects storage allotments.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Please try it now.
-Philip
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Nein Kinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Please try it now.
-Philip
Hmmm . . . my Gallery has a limit of 60 pictures and there's no upload button since I'm already at the limit. But I was able to create a new album: that solves the limit problem. Maybe that was always possible?

Any help for a place to store large PDF files so we can preserve them here on LotusTalk?

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 02:25 PM

Storage is cheap, but bandwidth is not

The autoload characteristics of pics on a website mean that they will always take up bandwidth

It would seem like it would be possible to integrate a download system for PDF's or txt files that makes it so you need to make a purposeful decision to download, thus saving useless bandwidth
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Nein Kinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
. . .
It would seem like it would be possible to integrate a download system for PDF's or txt files that makes it so you need to make a purposeful decision to download, thus saving useless bandwidth
I think what youíre describing already exists. Iím not aware of any browser that renders a pdf link as an inline document. Every browser Iíve dealt with allows you to set a preference regarding what happens when you click a pdf link: download or view. This behavior can also be forced to download with the link. What Iím asking for is the ability to upload a pdf to LotusTalk (somewhere) so I can link to it in a post and allow users to view or download it at their discretion. That feature does not exist now except if you attach a pdf that is 500 kB or less, a size limit which is fairly small.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
I think what youíre describing already exists. Iím not aware of any browser that renders a pdf link as an inline document. Every browser Iíve dealt with allows you to set a preference regarding what happens when you click a pdf link: download or view. This behavior can also be forced to download with the link. What Iím asking for is the ability to upload a pdf to LotusTalk (somewhere) so I can link to it in a post and allow users to view or download it at their discretion. That feature does not exist now except if you attach a pdf that is 500 kB or less, a size limit which is fairly small.

Glen
You suggestion is exactly what I was getting at

If you have a directly linked pdf most browsers will show it directly inline rather than download, which was the point of my perhaps unclear post.

For those who have never built an old fashioned website, it is really just a directory of files, most of which end in .html. When you see [PDF] in the google results it will usually open directly in the browser window.

Constant downloads by people perusing and web spiders would probably have an effect on bandwidth with no real upside.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Hmmm . . . my Gallery has a limit of 60 pictures and there's no upload button since I'm already at the limit. But I was able to create a new album: that solves the limit problem. Maybe that was always possible?

Any help for a place to store large PDF files so we can preserve them here on LotusTalk?

Glen
Hello there,

The PDF storage is as 51.2 Mb at the moment.
How large is your file?

Ed
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Nein Kinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Hello there,

The PDF storage is as 51.2 Mb at the moment.
How large is your file?

Ed
I can currently think of three useful PDF files that I'd like to post . . . 9.04 MB total.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 06:30 AM
Administrator

PDF's would have to be attached in thread for them to work, the album/gallery system is not designed to support that file type. That said provided you're not trying to upload more than 15 mb at a time you'll be fine.

Kyle
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 10:24 AM

testing pdf....

[that seems to work]
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Fuel system.pdf (175.5 KB, 10 views)
Administrator likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Lotus Talk Forum Feedback and Site Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in