I had to watch a F%$*@*% commercial to reset my password! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Asst. Helmet Tester

Garage
I had to watch a F%$*@*% commercial to reset my password!

I am so angry right now.

I know I haven't been a member on here all that long compared to some of you guys, but I'm almost ready to just give it all up because of the pure trash that is the Autoguide Group that runs this place.

I hate it. I hate it so much.

If it were not for the incredible wealth of knowledge provided here by the users, I would have just deleted my account in a fit of rage.

I somehow became logged out and had to re-enter the absurdly complex and completely ridiculous password that I was forced to recently create. Well, it didn't work, so I had to reset it.

And to do that I had to watch a G-D commercial to get an F-ing code to enter into your #$^$%^ form.

I hate you, autoguide group. Please die.

Please, can all the users just move over to somewhere else? Anywhere else?

Thank you.
rb26dett and MotoGeek like this.

"I think you should name her Pippa, because she's British and has a nice looking rear end."

An ALS Ice Bucket Challenge unlike the rest The ALS Association Golden West Chapter Presents The PanAmerica Crew IBC
The most recent big adventure in the fight against ALS SailingforALS.com
and don't forget the epic charity road trip ThePanAmerica.com

Last edited by Administrator; 09-02-2016 at 07:20 AM. Reason: site name: http://britishspeed.com/forum/forum.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 11:17 AM

I have zero issues using the classic skin + adblock if you want to try that.
06 Elise likes this.

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Addict

Garage
I had to do this as well today, I don't think is was you logging out but I think autoguide has it set to expire your password and just log users out. No warning that you need to change a password or that your password expired.
MotoGeek likes this.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 12:08 PM

The advertising is getting out of hand. May pull the plug on being a sponsor here. Tired of the computer / phone freezing from flash videos.
RBH likes this.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 12:32 PM

Garage
Yep, it's rediculous. I just went through a hassel to log in and immediately thought of how there is zero to protect here. I did can several sites that joined in the sky is falling pw panic. Same crap with the only other Autoguide I did not delete, Tundratalk.

As said above the adblock does work well here.
PLAY-DOH likes this.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 02:53 PM

Garage
How many times a day am I going to have to enter my password? I thought that if you click on the lil box you stay logged in? Y'all need a kick in the nuts
XHILR8N! likes this.

2011 Lotus Evora N/A Quartz Silver
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet37ski View Post
I am so angry right now.

I know I haven't been a member on here all that long compared to some of you guys, but I'm almost ready to just give it all up because of the pure trash that is the Autoguide Group that runs this place.

I hate it. I hate it so much.

If it were not for the incredible wealth of knowledge provided here by the users, I would have just deleted my account in a fit of rage.

I somehow became logged out and had to re-enter the absurdly complex and completely ridiculous password that I was forced to recently create. Well, it didn't work, so I had to reset it.

And to do that I had to watch a G-D commercial to get an F-ing code to enter into your #$^$%^ form.

I hate you, autoguide group. Please die.

Please, can all the users just move over to britishspeed.com or somewhere else? Anywhere else?

Thank you.
Agreed. I just went through the same annoying process.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 06:49 PM

For all those of us who follow Jalopnik.. just be glad this site is owned by Autoguide and not Gawker. If you think AG is ruining a good thing......
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 06:04 AM

Location: Chicago area w/1 foot out the door; Setting up in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by qu1Z View Post
The advertising is getting out of hand. May pull the plug on being a sponsor here. Tired of the computer / phone freezing from flash videos.
>>The advertising is getting out of hand

THIS. The 'autoplay' audio+video windows (even when logged in) and COMPLETELY UNRELATED (a YOGA 'commercial'---really? REALLY????) and the popups---I dont use an adblocker on all my sets, and dont want to have to go that route, but this is getting out of hand.

m1

The garage is... moving.
2007 CO Elise
Toyota Tundra
And featuring a 1973 Ford Mustang convertible...marking it's territory with 10w30....
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 07:24 AM
RBH

The video advertising is just a bit too much...

Do it once. Do it right.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBH View Post
The video advertising is just a bit too much...

I always wondered what driving the Lotus on LSD would be like.
RBH likes this.

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 08:07 AM

Garage
This is too much, what kind of info are they trying to protect? If I am on here it's pretty much public info. If it wasn't for the great people here I would have given up already.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 08:42 AM
Nein Kinder

I don't take anything a web site throws at me personally. We're usually working at cross purposes: they're trying to monetize data about me and I'm trying to stay anonymous. I now run scripts to defeat web site scripts that try to block my ad blocker. It's an ever escalating game.

Glen
MotoGeek likes this.

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Administrator

hey there,

I apologize the video ads are driving you crazy. we are not trying to aggravate anyone here. Ad's generate revenue for the site, which keeps it open and running. though if video ads are driving you crazy, you can consult this guide which helps with turning off the autoplay on video ads and flash ads as well. have a look and let me know if that helps.

let me know if you need anything else. im more then willing to help.

How to stop autoplaying ads, videos and media on web pages - How-To - PC Advisor

~Shane
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 12:36 PM

Admin... Please update my email address and send password reset!
It's over a month and I keep getting an email asking if I received password reset email.
I never got a chance to update profile since this whole password reset situation happened suddenly and I can't login with my account.. had to create a new.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Asst. Helmet Tester

Garage
Oh no, I have the autoplay crap turned off, and I really don't even mind advertising. I get it, it's a business, not a charity. Thing thing that sent me over the edge was the damn CAPTCHA test to reset the password. You have to press play and watch a truly stupid Progressive Insurance commercial in order to get the code "Progressive Insurance" to enter into the box and reset your password. I went back to try and grab a screenshot, and this time at least the code was already there and you didn't have to watch the video.

When the advertising gets in the way of the functionality of the site, that's a problem. If I can't find the content I want because the ad is blocking it, I'm out. When a shadow box pops up on an article I'm trying to read, I just close the entire page and go elsewhere. The truly infuriating thing about the situation here is that it's already irritating enough to have to reset your password because some misguided idiots decided you need to be more secure. Now I'm forced to watch the video in order to log in and use the site. That makes me livid.

Sell all the ads you want, but when using the site becomes more irritating than enjoyable or useful, I'm out. We've taken major leaps towards that point in the last month or two.
Attached Images

"I think you should name her Pippa, because she's British and has a nice looking rear end."

An ALS Ice Bucket Challenge unlike the rest The ALS Association Golden West Chapter Presents The PanAmerica Crew IBC
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eprangia08 View Post
Admin... Please update my email address and send password reset!
It's over a month and I keep getting an email asking if I received password reset email.
I never got a chance to update profile since this whole password reset situation happened suddenly and I can't login with my account.. had to create a new.
Hey there,

Please PM me with your original account name, and the email address attached to that account.
We will be able to clear things up from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet37ski View Post
Oh no, I have the autoplay crap turned off, and I really don't even mind advertising. I get it, it's a business, not a charity. Thing thing that sent me over the edge was the damn CAPTCHA test to reset the password. You have to press play and watch a truly stupid Progressive Insurance commercial in order to get the code "Progressive Insurance" to enter into the box and reset your password. I went back to try and grab a screenshot, and this time at least the code was already there and you didn't have to watch the video.

When the advertising gets in the way of the functionality of the site, that's a problem. If I can't find the content I want because the ad is blocking it, I'm out. When a shadow box pops up on an article I'm trying to read, I just close the entire page and go elsewhere. The truly infuriating thing about the situation here is that it's already irritating enough to have to reset your password because some misguided idiots decided you need to be more secure. Now I'm forced to watch the video in order to log in and use the site. That makes me livid.

Sell all the ads you want, but when using the site becomes more irritating than enjoyable or useful, I'm out. We've taken major leaps towards that point in the last month or two.
We understand how you feel.
Though I hope you understand for the captcha, we use that plugin to weed out the bots.
Though yes the use of an advert may be a little over the top, but it is the best way to weed out individuals.
We apologize that this has affected your forum viewing experience negatively.

Are there any other ads, or misplaced ads that are affecting you?

Richard.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 02:33 PM
2006 SportElise #9

Garage
Admin,

reCaptcha has multiple options to weed out bots that do not involve ads. Including one that just involves clicking a checkbox to say you are not a bot. When an ad interferes with site functionality, the ad should be removed.

2006 Lotus Sport Elise: #9 of 50, Saffron Yellow w/ Storm Titanium stripes, K&N Air Filter, Pagid RS4-2 Blue, Nitron Doubles, Eibach Springs, Larini Sport Cat, Larini Sport Exhaust, Lotus GT4 Spoiler, Braille B2015, Xtender
2004 Chrysler Crossfire: Blaze Red Chrystal Pearlcoat
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Asst. Helmet Tester

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Though yes the use of an advert may be a little over the top, but it is the best way to weed out individuals.
I don't think that is what you meant to type, but it's very accurate.

post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Admin,

reCaptcha has multiple options to weed out bots that do not involve ads. Including one that just involves clicking a checkbox to say you are not a bot. When an ad interferes with site functionality, the ad should be removed.
Recaptcha has also already been bot cracked in the past and as such can be bypassed. Solve Media hasn't to date, we're looking at other features with a similar track record, as the other side to this is it won't show to people using adblock.

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Lotus Talk Forum Feedback and Site Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in