Posting Pics in the forum - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Posting Pics in the forum

There are a few different ways of putting pictures in your posts. This thread is an attempt to explain how to do that.

The first thing you have to do, is determine where that picture now is. I mean, you should know right? You are looking at it and thinking it would be cool to post with that image.

If it is already in this forum and is an attachment, please read the "Posting Pictures that are already Attachments" thread. How can you tell? Right Mouse Button and look at the properties of the picture, or if it says "Attached Images" above the pics.

If you right mouse button and looked at the properties, and it was located at some other address... like http://www.disney.com/image.jpg then it gets easier. You can use the forums VB code to insert the image. Please review the post below that says "How to embed linked images with VB Code."

If you are looking at a picture on the internet, you can use the same rules about using VB code to link to the picture. Please be aware that some caution is in order. Not everyone will like that you linked to a pic on their server. Some people hate that and refer to it as leaching, since they pay for the bandwidth. Some sites have code in place to make it no possible to link, a big example is geocities. A few sites will replace your pic with something awful. You have been warned. You can always download the pic onto your computer and then attach it as an alternative. In fact, if you have viewed the pic, you really have downloaded it already.

The pic is on my computer! Upload it to the EliseTalk Gallery, or read below the post on using Attachments.

Thanks!

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Using previously attached images again on the forum

First let me say that this is not a huge deal. And if it is too much trouble, no biggie. But, you might find that learning how to do this, is actually easier. And better for my server and our database. Let me explain....

There are a number of ways to embed an image using this forum. The simple one, is to "attach" the image to your post. When you do this, you are uploading a new image and the forum assigns it a unique name (ID) and stores it on the server hard drive.

The other ways involve referencing the image using either VB code or HTML. This image can be located elsewhere on Elisetalk..such as in the Gallery, or in another thread where it was originally attached. Or maybe it was located somewhere out there on the internet. Be careful on that last one. Some people get nasty when you use their bandwidth for linking. Some servers do not allow hotlinking at all. And never..ever... hotlink to an image from the Somethingawful forums. Trust me.

When you link (as compared to attach), you are not loading a new image on the server.

So.. what does all of that mean? If you see a picture in the gallery or on a post, and you attach it again, it becomes a new picture. When every user views that image, even if they have seen the original image, they reload it again as their image cache does not see it as an existing picture. So that means the server has to download it to everyone. So an attachment not only takes up storage size and become part of the now huge attachment database, it also increases the server bandwidth and potentially the user's download times.

In a nut shell... if it is a new picture that you want to add to a post, ATTACH it! Or upload it to the Gallery and then link to it. The Gallery has a cool feature where it autoscales down images and you can link to either the large or the medium sized image...and the Gallery gives the compete code to cut and paste into your post. Simple!

So if the picture is already in the Gallery, use the VB code to link to it. The VB code is always [img]url to pic[/img]

VB code is simpe to learn and easy to use. If that is too hard, click on the insert image icon when composing your post.

Okay you say... but what if the image is already an attachment? That is also easy, but we now have to use our HTML code instead. It will not be recognized as an image using VB code.

You do not have to be an HTML coding expert to learn a few small tricks. And this is one.

Step one is to get the address of the attachment. Normally if you Right Mouse Button over the attachment and query the properties, it will return something like http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/attachmentid=183465

The html code is <*img src = "insert address here that you copied"*> without the asterisks.

That is it. You have to type these things
<
img
src
=
"
address
"
>

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Linking to external pictures using VB code

VB code is very simple. You can a little of it, or a lot it. You can also use html for these kind of things, but VB code is a simpler way to do things.

The basic format is the use of [ with a modifier inserted, followed by another ] then there is the link, or image, or text... and then closed by the [ followed by a forward slash, the same modifier, and then a closing bracket ].

In this case, the modifying tag is the three letters IMG. The image tags are [img] LINK! and then [/img]

These can also be done by just clicking on the button after you have clicked REPLY or POST or QUOTE. This will bring up a little window that you can type or paste the image's internet address into.

If the image did not have those IMG tags around it, it would show up as a l link we could click on to see the pic. Very large pics (and sometimes borderline offensive pics) should be linked, not surrounded with IMG tags.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Uploading pictures from your computer (Attachments)

Step 1 is to know where on your computer the image is. It should not be too huge that it will block out the sun or cause the internet to come to a crawl because you uploaded a 1 meg image file. Most images should be 72dpi and about 4-6" wide, or under 80k in size. If the image is substantially larger, please make it a link.

Okay, so you have your image(s). After clicking on QUOTE, REPLY, or POST, you will see this below the box you typed in....

Click on browse or paste the direct link to the image in the box (most of the tiime you will click on browse). The browse window will pop up-

Select the image and then click on the UPLOAD button. You can keep doing this and add more images. When you are done uploading, those images are saved to the forum. You can close this window and go back to the REPLY or POST window you were in and click on SUBMIT REPLY/POST.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Using the Gallery

http://www.elisetalk.com/gallery/

The gallery is an easy method to upload images from your computer to the LotusTalk server. Using the gallery has some advantages:

1. Images are easily located (gallery has a search command) and grouped. Later referal to those same images are easy to do. You can see all images done by a certain user for example.

2. Images can be any size, including larger than what you would attach. The gallery will automatically scale them down. You can see the smaller version or the original image by clicking on it.

3. You can scroll through images. You can play them automatically.

4. The gallery supplies you with automatic html or vb code for insertion in the forum.

5. You can upload 5 images at once, sharing titles and descriptions.

6. You can create your own private gallery.

Some rules, mostly basic stuff.

Do not use the gallery as a place to upload non-forum or non-Lotus related images.

Do not upload ANYTHING that is offensive. No nudity. Nothing sexual. No gore.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 09:55 AM
insert clever title here

It is often best to resize an image first before posting, especially with today's multi-mega-pixel digital cameras. In most cases, an 800 pixel wide picture will be the perfect size for adding to posts in a thread.

To resize pictures using a Windows computer (this information comes courtesy of ChrisB, from this post)

Quote:
To re-size an image there are a large variety of software packages available from free to very expensive. If you're into managing images, but not into extensive image editing, one that I prefer is IrfanView. It is free, simple to use and available at www.irfanview.com.

For the very simple task of just resizing images, there is a free utility available from Microsoft called the Image Resizer PowerToy. It is available for download as part of the "Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP" at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx.

After you install it, in Windows Explorer you can right-click on an image file name and choose to re-size the image to small (640x480), medium (800x600), or large (1024x768). That is about as simple as it gets.
To resize an image using a Mac equipped with iPhoto:

Drag the photo into iPhoto, select it, choose 'share' at the top menu, then 'export', select 'file export', 'scale images no larger than' and enter '800' for the width. Then click export, choose a folder to save the image to (desktop works well for this).

These instructions may be slightly different if you're not using iPhoto5 but the basic principles are the same.

If you're familiar with the function of Automator (included in Mac OS X 10.4 and above), you can easily create an automator action to resize the image for you, then you just right click on the file icon and select the action. Here's a sample Automator script that copies a file to the tmp folder, renames it, then resizes it, so the original image is untouched:
Attached Images

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 10:19 AM
TTP

Question

Earlier last week I was able to browse/upload up to five pics at one time into my gallery. Now I can only do one at a time. Are you going to allow us to upload more than one at a time?

I've also seen other photo gallery software where if you have a zip file of all your pics you can upload it and the software automatically unzips, resizes and saves the images for you in your specified directory. I know the gallery currently resizes and saves the pics one by one but not as a batched function. Can this gallery do the aformentioned?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
There are two ways to upload into the gallery. The quick upload button nearer the bottom of the page is for a quick single upload into the gallery you are at. The top menu upload allows up to 5 images.

The gallery is now limited to 5 images at a time.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 02:19 PM

Can the forum automatically resize pictures in posts? Another forum I'm on does this, and it makes some of the image-intensive threads a lot easier to read.

Paul Parkanzky
Magnetic Blue with Biscuit Touring, LSS, Starshield
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRJock View Post
Can the forum automatically resize pictures in posts? Another forum I'm on does this, and it makes some of the image-intensive threads a lot easier to read.
If you use the "gallery" option, the picture will automatically resize (http://www.elisetalk.com/gallery/upload.php?&c=3).
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 04:46 AM

I came here hoping somebody would talk about the other side - viewing the pictures. Thus far, I've been able to view anytime somebody does the [img] vb code, but can't view any attached pictures even when logged in and refreshing.

Is this a known issue? Is there any workaround to see attached images in the for sale posts?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 04:51 AM

To be clear with what I'm asking about, all I see if somebody attaches image is the words "attached images" in bold at the bottom of their post.

No link or button, and no way to actually see the images, and refreshing never seems to work. Am I missing something?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Man Coupe View Post
To be clear with what I'm asking about, all I see if somebody attaches image is the words "attached images" in bold at the bottom of their post.

No link or button, and no way to actually see the images, and refreshing never seems to work. Am I missing something?
Hey there,

Can you provide a link to a post where you have noticed this?
Also what browser and device are you using when you com across the "attached images" issue?
Are you able to click on "attached images" and see image?

Richard.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:16 AM

This happens to me all the time... Here is an example link.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f11...lls-md-462782/

2005 Elise, Chrome Orange, Sport pack
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Administrator

This is a pretty old issue.

You can't see the image in post # 3 in that thread?

Kevin
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:10 AM
RBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
This is a pretty old issue.

You can't see the image in post # 3 in that thread?

Kevin
I just noticed this thread. I have also noticed pictures not loading or blocked on some pages

As a test I used https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95...covers-412978/

The picture http://www.17of30.com/final/04.jpg will not load using Chrome, Firefox or Edge. It works with IE. On smartphone it states "Blocked"

Do it once. Do it right.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Administrator

The image you provided is using an HTTP url. This is blocked by all HTTPS sites and Chrome+Firefox. IE gets around it by allowing it to be shown if you click the Allow Mixed Content button. Other browsers do not allow this.

To show the images, the hosting site needs to be updated to HTTPS, or they will need to be re-uploaded using either the sites attachment manager, or another hosting site that is HTTPS.

- JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Lotus Talk Forum Feedback and Site Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in