Price discussion in sale thread - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Price discussion in sale thread

I'm just a lurker at the moment; planning on buying an Exige S (first Lotus) within the next year or two. Just a quick question for a moderator or similar...

I have noticed that objections to a stated price are acceptable if telling the seller the price is too low, but not acceptable if telling the seller the price is too high. Why the double standard? I constantly see overpriced salvage titles (2-3k off non-salvage price) get flooded with "great price for a great car, blah blah blah" which would be frustrating if it occurred in a thread where I was interested in buying the car.

Thanks,
Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM

Without actually reading anything else you've posted I'm going to assume that you're looking to get into the cheapest Lotus you can find. The prices of the Elige have been going back up. No matter what comments someone make, a seller will only sell if he likes the price or desperate.

To put it in perspective of how cheap some buyers try to be, my highest offer for my Evora actually came from a dealership. And this is of course after all the PMs I ignored about how the car was priced high blah blah blah. It was about to go to a dealer when someone jumped in at the last minute and paid the asking price.

So if you think the price is high that a seller is asking, then move to another car or wait it out to see if the price lowers.

America has always been defined by its excess. The Grand Canyon, professional sports contracts, Wendyís baconator, extra bacon! I myself have 18 Lamborghinis, and a Subaru station-wagon. And itís because of this excess that I have flourished. I implore you, please do not stop profiting. Live for excess, itís the American way.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThaMonsta View Post
Without actually reading anything else you've posted I'm going to assume that you're looking to get into the cheapest Lotus you can find. The prices of the Elige have been going back up. No matter what comments someone make, a seller will only sell if he likes the price or desperate.

To put it in perspective of how cheap some buyers try to be, my highest offer for my Evora actually came from a dealership. And this is of course after all the PMs I ignored about how the car was priced high blah blah blah. It was about to go to a dealer when someone jumped in at the last minute and paid the asking price.

So if you think the price is high that a seller is asking, then move to another car or wait it out to see if the price lowers.
Definitely not looking for the cheapest (~40k), I certainly understand the significant amount of low-balling people out there, and cannot argue with anything else you mentioned, but it still doesn't speak to the apparent double standard in the rule. Just curious why that happens to be.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 06:03 PM
JWA

There's no double standard. The policy was changed last year such that discussion is now allowed in for sale threads, but price commentary is only allowed if the original poster asks for it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmorton3 View Post
Definitely not looking for the cheapest (~40k), I certainly understand the significant amount of low-balling people out there, and cannot argue with anything else you mentioned, but it still doesn't speak to the apparent double standard in the rule. Just curious why that happens to be.
I can't speak to the validity of your claim but if it is indeed true then it's still logical. That's why most offers are made in private. Saying that it's priced too high can be looked at as an attempt to devalue the brand. It's also different when it starts negative conversation. Just coming in with nothing to say except it's too high makes you appear to be a low baller. Starting a thread about it makes you appear worse. That fact that no one has responded means that no one actually cared. I've seen people on this forum attempt low ball offers for over a year and still unsuccessfully but one. These same people are quick to say how much the car isn't worth while they fail at buying one.

Again, values are going up. 05 Elises are now selling for what I sold my 07 for about 5 years ago.

America has always been defined by its excess. The Grand Canyon, professional sports contracts, Wendyís baconator, extra bacon! I myself have 18 Lamborghinis, and a Subaru station-wagon. And itís because of this excess that I have flourished. I implore you, please do not stop profiting. Live for excess, itís the American way.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 06:56 PM

Personally, I've never liked this policy. My attitude is that if you want to use a free, public forum to advertise your car, you should be subject to the full scrutiny of the members who make up the forum. I've always thought bringatrailer.com was great in this respect.

If you want to hide behind your ad, fork up the cash for autotrader.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:35 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Report the post. We don't go through every single thread. No price discussion, means no price discussion and it will be removed if the OP didn't ask for it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThaMonsta View Post
Saying that it's priced too high can be looked at as an attempt to devalue the brand. It's also different when it starts negative conversation.
Good points.

Thanks for the comments everyone, just something that had been bugging me to ask on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Lotus Talk Forum Feedback and Site Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in