Alitech New Shifter - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 06:29 PM

That was added for aggressive shifting, you don't really need that bolt. It's in the install instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

I read the instructions and assumed the added rivet nut and bolt was in the middle hole for extra rigidity. So, the passenger side hole on the bracket will just be exposed then? Eh, I might just drill and install a rivet nut while I'm at it.
post #43 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 08:35 PM
Addict

Garage
This is how mine looks without the extra bolt installed.
Attached Images

post #44 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the image.
post #45 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:20 AM

did anyone in the US got hit hard with Import taxes? I've never had to pay any import taxes before...This shifter is getting more expensive by the min...
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

I don't recall getting charged for import taxes, at least my invoice didn't reflect it. All I paid was for the shifter and shipping, which was predetermined.
post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:38 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman1975 View Post
I don't recall getting charged for import taxes, at least my invoice didn't reflect it. All I paid was for the shifter and shipping, which was predetermined.
Same here, I paid the invoice amount and the shifter showed up with no issues or added costs.
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. I got a message from DHL that I owe import duties which was $73.50. Unless I paid this, they won't release the package. : (
post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

For those who has both LETSLA and Alitech, what are your settings on each?
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 04:43 PM
A1 Automotive & Smog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
This is how mine looks without the extra bolt installed.
Install that bolt. Get a long drill bit at home depot about 10" long, drill it all the way through to the bottom of the car, put suitable bolt (I think about 3 inch long), big washers for the bottom, some small washer for inside by the shifter and floor, nut, and the shifter would be rock solid.

Isn't that what you purchased the shifter for?
post #51 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harix View Post
Install that bolt. Get a long drill bit at home depot about 10" long, drill it all the way through to the bottom of the car, put suitable bolt (I think about 3 inch long), big washers for the bottom, some small washer for inside by the shifter and floor, nut, and the shifter would be rock solid.

I guess you can do that too, but I did the rivnut method.
post #52 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 06:01 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harix View Post

If I take the interior apart again I might install the rivnut and put that bolt in, but this shifter already has 4 bolts in the front and 2 in the rear – it is very solid as is. I’m not sure that 5th bolt would make it any more stable as soft as the floor is and I’m not that hard on the shifter. I think we all know this shifter is not just about performance…

Quote:
For those who has both LETSLA and Alitech, what are your settings on each?
These are the settings I used, not sure what settings my LETSA is at as it was installed by the prior owner and I have not looked at it that close. The reverse lockout plate on mine is as far forward as it would go, if I move it back at all I can go too far left to engage 1st/2nd.
Attached Images

jumpman1975 likes this.
post #53 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 06:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
I finally started with the install, but going really slow since I don't have the time to fully install it in one shot.

I can't be the only one with this issue...damn you Lotus!! The original shifter housing/frame only had two bolts and 3 holes in the front, but the floor only has two holes! One on the driver's side and the middle. While Alitech's mounting bracket has three holes. It's like Lotus said F it with the third hole. I guess I'll have to drill one. Has anyone else experienced this with the install?
RHD versus LHD? Like the seat rails...
post #54 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 09:41 AM

What is the feel of the shifting with this? Is this mostly for racing?
post #55 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 10:20 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianzai View Post
What is the feel of the shifting with this? Is this mostly for racing?
I wouldnít say this shifter is strictly for track use. It is good eye candy and the higher e-brake handle can be used as an arm rest. It is also very adjustable, if you want a higher or lower shift knob or a shorter or longer shift throw (can adjust forward/side independent of each other too). I was not unhappy with my shifter before (LETSA and Stanís mod) and I would say this does improve the feel slightly over that. There is less play in the handle when in gear. The cage on this shifter is fairly large and can get in the way of your leg if space is tight for you, my leg is up against it now but not in the way. This same cage does keep passengerís legs from hitting the shifter too. My prior shifter had broken the reverse lift cable attachment/collar, this fixed that issue.
post #56 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Here are some of my experiences with the install:

1. E-brake cables are tight, specially the shifter cables. I had to cut the zip tie anchoring the shifter cables under the car by the transmission to give it some slack. Otherwise, there was no way to secure the cables to the block with the dowel pins and the block to the shifter housing. The shifter cables are now touching part of the bottom of the transmission. I haven't buttoned the car up yet so I'll check if I can pull it back from the front to the back so that the cables won't be touching the transmission.

2. Putting in both dowel pins was a pain
3. Up to you, but I drilled and installed a rivnut for the third bolt in the front.
3. It is easier to install than I thought, just had to make some adjustments.
4. I didn't install the E-brake micro switch, mostly to give it a clean look. I wrapped duct tape around it so that the switch is in a closed position. It will be tucked under the front seat. I figured I rarely use the e-brake anyway.

Just have to install the seats and fine tune the settings.

Last edited by jumpman1975; 05-26-2016 at 02:33 PM.
post #57 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Finally all done!

Edit: Just came back from a test drive. This thing is precise and no fuss. However, I may need to adjust the throw since it's much shorter than I'm used to. Or learn how to operate as is, but I see a potential money shift with such shortness. With the current settings; although unlikely, it's possible to accidentally select 2nd instead of 4th or 1st instead of 3rd if not careful about it. Oh, I have a LESTLA installed by the way. Overall, I'm very happy and satisfied with this mod on the street. I'll find out more when I use it on the track.
Attached Images

nwscreative likes this.

Last edited by jumpman1975; 06-07-2016 at 12:34 PM.
post #58 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 06:18 PM

Nice, clean, focused interior! Love it.

Not to thread jack, but here is a link to another thread that I started where I posted two videos with my impressions of the shifter: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/...ssions-372026/

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #59 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Nice, clean, focused interior! Love it.

Not to thread jack, but here is a link to another thread that I started where I posted two videos with my impressions of the shifter: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/...ssions-372026/
I ran into the same thing you did with the switches.

For the traction control switch, I tried a bunch of washers from the hardware store, but they were all too thick. Eventually ended up using two 1/2" 18 gauge machine bushings, which were thinner. The non-threaded portion at the top of the switch is a little bigger than 1/2", so I'd probably go 9/16" on top instead.

Looks like you still have your factory nut. Mine was missing and it took me forever to track down. 15/32", 32 TPI. Jameco carries them.

For the CDL switch, I trimmed the excess plastic on the switch with a knife.
post #60 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwscreative View Post

Looks like you still have your factory nut. Mine was missing and it took me forever to track down. 15/32", 32 TPI. Jameco carries them.
Wait, not quite following you on my factory nut...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in