Another wiped Cam but a bit different! - Page 15 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #281 of 287 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by +TSRAGR View Post
He just taped the back of the passenger side cooler.

Krule, let us know how the 200 t-stat works out. My biggest gripe with going to a hotter t-stat is that once the t-stat opens you still have to heat an additional 3.7 quarts of cold oil sitting in the coolers and the 27' of oil line. THIS TAKES A LOT OF EXTRA TIME! I know a rear cooler isn't for everyone, but having a shorter oil loop means much faster oil heating times and higher oil pressures.
No argument on a simpler/shorter oil cooler setup, on my todo list.
The thermostat still runs oil thorough the coolers when it is cold, just not a lot. The oil lines were definitely hot when I was working under the car. The oil should all be relatively the same temp for the compleat oil system.

07 Exige Phantom Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 287 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 07:28 AM

Just go Laminova water/oil cooler.
Attached Images

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
post #283 of 287 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 08:51 PM

So, after my drive the results are in.
The temp that i got on my drive was, exactly the same as before the mod...
My first though is that I was shipped the wrong part, I will call to confirm tomorrow.
I don't think the thermostat is stuck, the car warmed up typically and never dropped below 180' once warmed up...

07 Exige Phantom Black

post #284 of 287 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 04:40 AM
He's on fire!

you could also test it yourself by putting it in hot water and seeing at what temp it opens

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #285 of 287 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 10:41 PM

This thread has been a great read particularly the comments from Phil.
I'm hoping that the the Ferrea dual springs won't be an issue and I intend to use them.
I looked into DLC coating the cams and I like the idea of cross-drilled cams . This is the info I got from Elise Racing UK :
"cross drilled cams there is no need for the dlc coating since the oil feed on the cross drill cams is on the ramp of the upper cam lobe".
Now there might be a small glitch here in that ... is it the lower cam that gets wiped (Excuse my ignorance).

I will also be using the wide rocker system throughout - Has anyone had wiped cams in this scenario ?
post #286 of 287 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 04:56 PM
CJC

Re: Hotter Oil
I don't understand the relationship, but since it is winter I blocked the outlet side of both oil coolers with 0.010" aluminum flashing.
Dimensions of each piece were about 5.5x9.75" but make a pattern from thin cardboard to find your size.
The Al pieces were very flexible, that made this job easy, but needed tape to hold them against the coolers.
Of course, there was no high temp. tape around which seemed like a problem until I later realized that it will let some air flow when hot, so now it is a feature!
After a slow 20 minute drive, the entrance side of the right cooler was about 120-140F and the left was 85-110F; 60F outside air and 185F on gauge. (No baseline data).
Does the oil flow from right to left?
Left side photo attached, sorry for the 90 degree rotation.

Chris
Attached Images

post #287 of 287 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

We now have aftermarket intake cams in stock and made to the stock/OE grind profile. You can install our intake cam in place of the stocker on your used rockers for preventative work or in lieu of the stock cam with new rockers from. We have not seen old rockers married with new cams pose a problem as long as the rocker pads were not in contact with a wiping cam lobe (the wiping cam lobe damages the rocker pad).

These intake cams are made by the same company that has been supplying the performance cam shafts that are MUCH less prone to wiping. I won't say that the problem with aftermarket cams doesn't exist, but I can say that it's VERY VERY rare compared to stock.

The aftermarket cams are harder than stock cams.

These cams are not cheap, but relative to doing the work over and over again, not a bad value. Price is $400 for the intake cam... Have not added to the webstore yet, so just email sales at boefab dot com in the meantime...

Hope these help someone

Phil
GatorMS_Parts and ERDoc74 like this.

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in