Another wiped Cam but a bit different! - Page 8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 287 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:15 AM

since when is a transmission change considered routine maintenance!?!?

jk

anyway... from the pictures, your cams look perfectly healthy to me

2005 Krypton Green Lotus Elise
1993 Black BMW 325i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 287 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:19 PM

Just pulled my valve cover, here's my cams. car has 38k miles, not tracked, but I make sure to play with the second cams when I can. I think they look ok, but anyone else see something that I don't?

Also, where can I get those lifter bolts, I heard they were a wear item that can be replaced.
Attached Images

05 Ardent Red Elise +60k miles
Interior: Red & black steering wheel/gauge cover/trim shop seats, 4tress harness bar, Schroth 4 pt. ASM harnesses, JL E645 amp, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL sub, micro mirror, red start button
Exterior:Forcedfed half carbon front splitter, APR rear wing, Reverie side scoops, Craftsquare mirrors, blacked out lights/badges, Clam hinge
Engine/Drivetrain: Exedy clutch, Toda flywheel, Fujita intake, Arqray SS single tip exhaust
post #143 of 287 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:56 PM

RE: Wiped Cams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygotesoup View Post
since when is a transmission change considered routine maintenance!?!?

jk

anyway... from the pictures, your cams look perfectly healthy to me
OPPS...make that transmission FLUID change! That definitely would not be routine! Thanks for the opinion

2005 Starlight Black Elise Supercharged and lots of track parts

2000 Elise Sport 190 -Sold

post #144 of 287 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 04:28 PM

Looks like normal wear to me. See my post #74 above for pictures of wiped cam.

Dave

06' STi Elise, LSS, LSD-TC, Touring, Hard Top, Star Shield, Katana SC, HIDs and Manly's motor mounts, Newman's Climate Controls, BHL Raptor Ehaust. No More Larini SE w/Euro grills = No More P0171 Codes.
post #145 of 287 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
Looks like normal wear to me. See my post #74 above for pictures of wiped cam.

Dave
Awesome, thanks for the input. Did you replace your cams?

05 Ardent Red Elise +60k miles
Interior: Red & black steering wheel/gauge cover/trim shop seats, 4tress harness bar, Schroth 4 pt. ASM harnesses, JL E645 amp, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL sub, micro mirror, red start button
Exterior:Forcedfed half carbon front splitter, APR rear wing, Reverie side scoops, Craftsquare mirrors, blacked out lights/badges, Clam hinge
Engine/Drivetrain: Exedy clutch, Toda flywheel, Fujita intake, Arqray SS single tip exhaust
post #146 of 287 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Point of reference...

Building an engine right now and the motor that came out of the car had #1 starting to wipe... #s 2,3,4 all had lash .010+ and #1 had just .009 lash... .009 equals a wiped cam on this motor...

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #147 of 287 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:10 AM

Oil Used on Track

I recently noticed that my 2005 Elise with 52K miles is using oil at the track. Observers see smoke on accelleration and I am down 1/2 to one quart from full at the beginning of the day. Car does not use any noticeable oil between 5000 mile changes on the street/highway.

Check engine light has come on at the last two track sessions and code 1302 is displayed. Dealer cleared both times. Does not appear on the street.

Checked compression. All four cylinders show 200-210 psi. Spark plug electrodes are clean, but there is light soot on the face of the plugs where they are exposed to the combustion chamber.

I suspect leaking valve stem seals may be the problem. Anyone have any thoughts or similar experience?

O6 Elise Full Lotus Sport Ohlins Suspension Upgrade, VF Stage 2
post #148 of 287 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Do you have catch cans installed?

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #149 of 287 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 06:27 AM

No catch cans, but in four years of tracking the car I have never seen smoke or used oil before. Do have a G-Pan that was installed before the last two track sessions, but don't see how that would contribute to oil useage.

post #150 of 287 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 04:09 PM

I posted about low idle when starting the engine cold. When I start my car in the morning, it idles at ~750 rpms.

All the cars I've ever owned, even my 1978 toyota corolla with downdraft carb idles at ~1700 to get the oil pressure up and oil into the head as soon as possible.

Could this be the cause?

My car is brand new, and I've been holding the throttle at 1700 when I cold start the engine.
post #151 of 287 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIL View Post
Took my cover off... they lobes feel pretty smooth, but I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for... Thoughts?

How long did you let the engine sit before removing the valve cover? It's looks incredibly dry on oil!!!

I can't believe yamaha didn't design more oil pockets in the head to retain oil.
post #152 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 05:36 AM
xtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
I can't believe yamaha didn't design more oil pockets in the head to retain oil.
Why? Oil retained in a pocket in the head isn't doing anything to lubricate the moving parts.

xtn

2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
post #153 of 287 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 07:33 AM

Installed the catch cans from Sector 111. No longer getting the check engine light and 1302 code, but still used about 1-1/2 qts of oil in 100 miles of track driving last weekend. I am running full synthetic Castrol 5-50.

Catch cans did not seem to catch anything. Tried to drain them at the end of the day, but nothing came out of either drain. Exhaust tips are pretty sooty, but drivers behind me did not notice any smoke.

post #154 of 287 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 08:59 AM

I just checked my cams, everything is OK. All lobes smooth, no ridges or uneven surfaces. No scoring.

For reference it is an '05 Elise, 16.5K miles. Chassis number 2829, Build Date February 2005. I autocross the car a fair amount, so there's some 2nd cam driving and revs in the 6-8K range.

Car has always used Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel oil, 5W-40. Installed a BWR supercharger last year. Also drained the Sector 111 Qwik Cans, and got about 6 drops of oil, nothing really measurable.

Regards,
Wayne
Attached Images

'05 Elise Magnetic Blue, Black, Touring, Hard Top, Star Shield, Stage II Exhaust, Arqray decat pipe, S2 Front Splitter (UK), Sector 111 Rear Tow Hook, Driving Lights, Cup Airbox, Shift-I System, LSS Dampers & Springs, Sector 111 V-Bar, Schroth Profi II 5 point harness, Exige S Probax seats, 1/4 turn undertray screws, Stealth bulbs, BWR SC with PES tune, Innovative engine mounts, SS brake lines.
post #155 of 287 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 03:11 PM

Wayne,
Come over as soon as you're done and work on my Elise.

2005 Storm Ti, LSS, Touring.
1969 Karmann Ghia Convertible.
post #156 of 287 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 03:44 PM
glb

has anyone correlated:

ZDDP content of oil?

If we wait ~10 minutes after coolant temp is normal to rev over 5500 rpm?

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
post #157 of 287 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
has anyone correlated:

ZDDP content of oil?

If we wait ~10 minutes after coolant temp is normal to rev over 5500 rpm?
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsl...m_medium=email
post #158 of 287 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 05:52 PM

Nope, pretty sure it's valve lash.
I was reluctant to believe at first but i see it now.

Soon, you too will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
aint the oil, aint the temp, it is rpm related but hell you can't just stay off high cam all the time.

That would suck. Set valve lash to 0.013" and forget about it. If you wipe a cam you lose about 2-4 hours to labor and about 300 bucks to parts.

A small price to pay if you wanna play.

05 BRG Elise - 9:1 built motor- rev 400 66mm pulley
04 Yamaha R6
02 Volvo S80
92 Toyota Previa
post #159 of 287 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Moderator Extraordinaire!

While the tight valve lash idea makes a lot of sense, I'm still leaning toward improper hardening of the cam lobes and/or the slipper followers. I am basing this on two things:

The first being the replacement cam and followers in my engine (done under warranty by Lotus) have no lobe/follower wear after 3 years. They were installed using factory valve lash specs so if it is a tight lash problem, the new cam should be worn by now - the original cam lasted only 1 year with all of 12 minutes of "2nd cam" engagement total on the engine. I inspect the replacement cam lobes yearly before storing my car for the winter and it is showing no lobe wear at all.

The second, and I believe more compelling reason, is that I have a spare engine that was removed from a new '06 Elise before it was even run in completely that is already showing wear on one of the lobes. This engine was only run long enough to drive the new car from the dealer in MN to the shop in MI where it was removed for an Ecotec swap. This engine was not driven hard at all and the miles on it were from interstate highway driving. Total time on the "2nd cam" was less than 2 minutes and that time was probably from Lotus testing the car before it left the factory. Even a cam lobe with zero valve lash (and this cam's valve lash is within factory specs) should last longer than TWO minutes!
post #160 of 287 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 01:09 PM

I'm going with the sticking valve theory.

Two reasons, my car, 2006 NA Elise with 18,000 miles lost power and threw a P1302 code.

Here is the reason I think a sticking valve is the issue.

Take and look at my photos AND the first photos that Phil posted to start this thread.

Forget the wiping marks on the lobe. Look at the abraded 1/8" or so mark on the cam face that is running parallel to the centerline of the camshaft and at 90 degrees to the wiping path.

Both his photo and mine look like the cam took a localized HIT and then started to show wipe damage.

If you feel the cam face at that point, it is really really rough, like it has been peened or something. If I am correct about the direction of rotation of the cam, the mark looks like it occurs at about the point that the cam is starting to lift the valve. I'll bet that if that mark is on the cam, it is always close to the same spot on the lobe.

So, I think I had a valve stick momentarily, damage the face and it all went downhill from there.

Attached Images

2006 Elise, Graphite Grey/Red leather, Sport Elise Suspension, Cup airbox, ECU ref lash, MonoBalls, etc. etc.
1992 900SS Ducati Race Spec Built by Ferracci
2006 KTM 950 SuperMoto, a work in progress

Old stuff gone: Ferrari 275GTB/4, '69 1275 Cooper S. '72 500 Fiat, old Jags, etc. Never bought a boring car.

Last edited by apexdc; 04-22-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in