A better C64 Transmission - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 01:26 PM
Race & Pamper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 04:59 AM

Interested too in this, it's great that finally someone stepped up to finally have a bolt-on solution for this gearbox, just waiting for the price
post #63 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 09:18 AM

Garage
Definitely going to have Phil at BOE put this in my elise this winter since it's gonna be tore apart anyway... and once it get's put back together I don't want to be without my car for another significant period of time because of a broke transmission due to the REV400 and built motor I'll be running...
Fred... Can you talk to Phil about my build and you two decide what setup I should go with on this?
THANKS!!

Last edited by ERDoc74; 10-06-2015 at 12:45 PM.

post #64 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:25 AM

Well this weekend I lost 2nd completely 1st was hard to get into and 3rd was grinding... dropped the oil and it was black crud that smelled horrible "my neighbor actually called the gas company because he thought there was a leak" so im subscribed I hope there is a good solution soon!
I'm running the FF340 with 12" wide proxy R888 do you think this set up with hold down that kind of power? What the disadvantages from using the mr2 turbo tranny I hear a lot of high horsepower guys go to?
post #65 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 06:47 AM

Disadvantages from using the mr2 turbo is the gearing is not street friendly.

Ed
post #66 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebodyelise View Post
Well this weekend I lost 2nd completely 1st was hard to get into and 3rd was grinding... dropped the oil and it was black crud that smelled horrible "my neighbor actually called the gas company because he thought there was a leak" so im subscribed I hope there is a good solution soon!
I'm running the FF340 with 12" wide proxy R888 do you think this set up with hold down that kind of power? What the disadvantages from using the mr2 turbo tranny I hear a lot of high horsepower guys go to?
Wide, I think previous poster nailed it, but let me give a bit more color.

The MR2 trans is a much bigger unit that all-in can add upwards of 50lbs to the car. It reduces the serviceability of the car as it just takes up so much space, and can require cutting of the subframe(I haven't done one, just from what I hear from friends).

The gearing is less than optimal. It has a short 1st, tall 2nd-5th. This is the opposite of what you really want for a fun & engaging car on these street and track.
Redline MPH 8500 on stock sized tires
Stock e153(MR2)
1st 43 46
2nd 67 78
3rd 93 119
4th 118 163
5th 150 205
6th 168

So essentially you have a too short first as our stock first gear is with power and then the gears are spaced so far apart that the car falls off the cam and out of the power with every shift.

Our gear set looks like this:

1st 56
2nd 76
3rd 102
4th 123
5th 141
6th 158

So first is taller to take advantage of the power and then every gear is closely spaced to keep wear on the synchros less and the car on the cam.

We're building this setup for the TVS400/FF400 levels of power & torque.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #67 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 03:46 AM
because racecar

Fred
Would you recommend this gear set for a car making power in the same ball park as your xp car?
post #68 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 03:50 AM

I really like the option of using the taller Celica 6th gear, would make it so much more manageable on the street

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2005 Elise 111R, 2litre, 315hp, FF275 Turbo kit 6lbs. Soon to be 400+
post #69 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Dallas, yes I would. My car is a TVS400 car too. The Quaife sequential isn't anything special except it has a poorly designed input shaft. The thick gear roots on the ring and pinion + other gears gives it strength. The only part any of the sequential owners had fail to my knowledge of the input shaft. We're going through considerable pain to make that shaft a monster. I think your 750HP Drag car is too much, however!

Winning Suspension
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #70 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 Turbo View Post
I really like the option of using the taller Celica 6th gear, would make it so much more manageable on the street

I agree completely! We love monster fast cars, but I don't want to listen to a streetcar buzz bomb on the highway mile after mile. If you note how we did the ratios, 5th gear is 141mph, which is pretty much the top speed you will see at all but a handful of tracks. If you stay stock 6th you get 158mph or switch to the tall 6th and get 178mph, which gives you a taller cruise or top-end for Daytona etc.
275 Turbo likes this.

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #71 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:04 AM

Was also going to ask about LSD options, I'll upgrade when I do the GB as well. Again mostly for road use, can this be arranged ?

2005 Elise 111R, 2litre, 315hp, FF275 Turbo kit 6lbs. Soon to be 400+
post #72 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:21 AM
because racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzust View Post
Dallas, yes I would. My car is a TVS400 car too. The Quaife sequential isn't anything special except it has a poorly designed input shaft. The thick gear roots on the ring and pinion + other gears gives it strength. The only part any of the sequential owners had fail to my knowledge of the input shaft. We're going through considerable pain to make that shaft a monster. I think your 750HP Drag car is too much, however!
How do you feel about the c64 axles? I've heard those can be a problem on the 300whp+ cars. Never experienced axle failure myself but I had aftermarket axles when I had the c64 at 240whp and up.

Do you know what the weight difference is from the c64 to the sequential you have?

Are you going to run this setup on one of your shop cars during next season?

Sorry if you've already answered this elsewhere. Genuinely interested. I will probably pull my e153 for swapping 3rd and 4th at some point. If your c64 solution pans out to be the best solution for my SSM car I might consider the switch.
275 Turbo likes this.
post #73 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

I've broken a few axles and I know Ryno has broken 1 or 2, but this seems exclusive to drag starts ala ProSolo. I think Ryno ran for several years in tons of pros. For road race cars or regular autox cars, to my knowledge this hasn't been a problem. Phil runs the stock axles. I am currently running a set of prototype BWR Monster axles on the XP car that should be good for ludicrous power(I think 800HP). They are, however, stupidly expensive. I was thinking to do a run of them but at $2500 a set, I didn't think there would be much appetite.

The yellow SSM car still runs stockers and they have been fine. There are a couple companies offering stock replacements, but they are not stronger than stock....

I also tested a set of driveshaftshop axles. I broke the left one in 45 seconds. I broke the right a couple minutes later. Utter crap.

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels

Last edited by fzust; 10-07-2015 at 07:13 AM.
post #74 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 12:26 PM
because racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus90 View Post
Disadvantages from using the mr2 turbo is the gearing is not street friendly.

Ed
For the street I think the gearing is fine. If your running out third gear on the street.. you wont be for long. Regardless who's trans gears etc. For auto cross the gearing is fine. For the track gearing is wide but doable. Not ideal. The gearing can be fixed but at cost. Comes with an LSD. Install of the e153 is not a bolt on affair.

The e153 is heavy. But it doesn't break.

Last edited by dallasreed; 10-07-2015 at 12:45 PM.
post #75 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasreed View Post
For the street I think the gearing is fine. If your running out third gear on the street.. you wont be for long. Regardless who's trans gears etc. For auto cross the gearing is fine. For the track gearing is wide but doable. Not ideal. The gearing can be fixed but at cost. Comes with an LSD. Install of the e153 is not a bolt on affair.

The e153 is heavy. But it doesn't break.
Thanks I went ahead and ordered the e153 with the upgraded hubs and axles I know it's heavy but I want to be able to drive the car how I want without having to worry about the GB going to pieces. That and unfortunately i can't wait for this upgraded box to be done and tested I need a GB now.
post #76 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 03:45 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebodyelise View Post
Thanks I went ahead and ordered the e153 with the upgraded hubs and axles I know it's heavy but I want to be able to drive the car how I want without having to worry about the GB going to pieces. That and unfortunately i can't wait for this upgraded box to be done and tested I need a GB now.
I guess this is too late but you can have your GB rebuilt locally by Jeff Fields at Transaxle Engineering. He's supposed to be the best.

Official Transaxle Engineering Home Page

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #77 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 03:57 PM

I love the knowledge flying around here. I learned more about the C64 in a few pages here than looking it up online for hours before!

Very excited to get this setup for my NA street Elise. I drive it daily and this will be a prominent upgrade when I talked to BWR about a supercharger setup.

Will upgrade the radiator, and most likely shifting mechanism at the same time. I need a bulletproof car as my daily.

post #78 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
I guess this is too late but you can have your GB rebuilt locally by Jeff Fields at Transaxle Engineering. He's supposed to be the best.

Official Transaxle Engineering Home Page

San
Thanks san ya I should have spent a little more time researching I guess. For what I do with the car I don't see any problems with the mr2 trans
post #79 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:17 PM

Did you cut the frame to install e153 trans?
post #80 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus90 View Post
Did you cut the frame to install e153 trans?
it says i shouldn't have to maybe when i get it i will spend the time to write up a thread of the install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in