A better C64 Transmission - Page 8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 250 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 06:09 PM

Any update on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 250 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 07:09 PM

I only have a stock Elise that i just purchased last fall. I love the car. Not my first Lotus but my first Elise. Bought my first Lotus in 1972. Where were you then?

I like lots of HP so things could change in the future. I love this thread and Fred, you are doing a very good job! Someday I'd like to install a supercharged 3.5 in mine.

That cryoed stuff is fantastic! My heart has been going in and out of A-Fib for the last 20 plus years. Medication hasn't helped. Seven years ago, I had an ablation where RF waves burned a portion of the surface of my heart to try to keep the electrical signals that control my heart rate from taking the wrong path and causing A-Fib. It didn't work.

December 2015, I just had another ablation but a NEW TYPE. A CRYO ABLATION!!!!! A Cryo Ablation utilizes liquid nitric oxide to freeze the tissue and produce scar tissue to again keep electrical signals from taking the wrong path across my heart. Hurrah for CRYO!!! For the first time in over 20 years I have now gone over three months with going into A-Fib !!!!! Hurrah!!!

This should make my heart stronger for more HP, which means I'll probably need a new trans soon.

I too am now watching and waiting. Thank you,
Frank
shay2nak, Coyne and 275 Turbo like this.
post #143 of 250 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 06:52 AM

I too am now watching and waiting.

post #144 of 250 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Update, yep. I have the test box in the car and should be on the ground in next couple days. Once we pound on it some we'll be ready to go. It will take 8-12 weeks for the production parts to be ready once we say go. We'll start with doing fully built units with a core exchange. This will make the process faster for the recipients and allow me to control outbound quality.

There are about 10 different snap rings each with 10-15 available thicknesses in the transmission to make sure the end-play is controlled as well as other things that have to be setup correctly to ensure proper operation. Lastly, I will be magnafluxing all the load-bearing parts in the box to ensure we aren't starting with something that is already broken.

There are a few options:
1. Full 1-4 set with new Shorter/Stronger Final drive. This will be the most responsive and AutoX friendly with 76mph 2nd gear with stock tire diameters. Good for stoplight battles.
2. Full 1-4 set with new FD and Taller 6th. Despite the shorter FD, the car has a taller cruise gear for the drive to and from events.
3. Full 1-4 set with stock FD. Same close ratios and fifth gear that gets 150mph. Track friendly. Of course taller 6th could be used here also for low RPM highway cruise.
Attached Images

ERDoc74 and RoHo like this.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #145 of 250 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

3 different Alloys used for maximum strength and wear. All parts are also cryo treated.
Current Introductory pricing:

1-4 Gear Set including 300M input shaft and 4340 3rd and 4th. - $4695
4.818 Final Drive - $1795

We will have a REM finishing option too which will provide a touch more HP, lower temps, and smoother shifting, but details have to be worked out.

Still working on build and setup charges.

I would like to start a list of folks that are interested enough to put a Deposit down when we are w/in 4 weeks of shipping. This will help us estimate quantity for the first run. Please let me know if it is for full gear set or just Final Drive or Just 1-4.

Thanks!

Winning Suspension
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #146 of 250 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 AM

Is Just 1-4 with Toyota 6th and stock FD an option. Any reason not to do this? I will maybe never be over 150 on the track will I at 290 whp? I will be getting a 1-4 set either way with quaife LSD. Have core(s).
post #147 of 250 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 08:46 AM

what would be the global cost for option 2 without core exchange ?
post #148 of 250 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
Is Just 1-4 with Toyota 6th and stock FD an option. Any reason not to do this? I will maybe never be over 150 on the track will I at 290 whp? I will be getting a 1-4 set either way with quaife LSD. Have core(s).
Option #3 above.....

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #149 of 250 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:01 AM

Fantastic options!!!!!!

I can see a 1-4 with stock FD and Quaife LSD in my future. If I use slightly taller tires in the rear I'll be able to hit 60 mph without shifting out of 1st

05 Saffron Elise (#151)!!!!!
Nitron NTR singles 550/700
BOE Rev 400, fuel surge tank, EFI 1.2
PPE Testpipe, BOE Silent Touch
RacePak IQ3 dash with EFI module
ACT HD/SS clutch, Fidanza FW, LETSA...
post #150 of 250 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:03 AM

can I tell me is "1-4 Gear Set including 300M input shaft and 4340 3rd and 4th. - $4695"

price for trans with a good core trans or without?

if i Add taller 6th gear how much more?

thanks
Ed
post #151 of 250 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

I haven't worked out the cost without core yet. Taller 6th gear is about $270 for both gears. No additional labor to add 6th when we are building it. Diff labor is discounted for the new diff if you buy your Quaife LSD for us.

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #152 of 250 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:24 AM

But for those with transmissions out of the car today this does not look to be an option. Even if everything goes according to the current timeline from this point on (which up to this point we are months behind the updates for when things were supposed to be progressing) we are talking 3 months until the first unit rolls off the presses. Since nothing goes as planned and will probably need some tweaking I would imagine the first gen 1 units will be ready to go in around fall time frame.

2005 Lotus Elise - Storm Titanium
BoE Rev400TVS SC, MWR E153 Trans, ACT HDSS Clutch, 2bular Full Exhaust, Ohlins Double Suspension, BoE Catch Can, BoE TOC Oil Pan and so forth

Last edited by BudUSMC; 03-10-2016 at 11:13 AM.
post #153 of 250 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudUSMC View Post
But for those with transmissions out of the car today this does not look to be an option. Even if everything goes according to the current timeline from this point on (which up to this point we are months behind the updates for when things were supposed to be progressing) we are talking 3 months until the first unit rolls off the presses. Since nothing going as plans and will probably need some tweaking I would imagine the first gen 1 units will be ready to go in around fall time frame.
Bud, I think we are past the tweaking phase, so I expect sooner, but you could be right!

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #154 of 250 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 02:29 AM

Just broke 3rd, I'll probably go with a MWR used box until this gets sorted out
post #155 of 250 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 11:39 PM

Garage
So any updates on the progress?
post #156 of 250 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Actually, a pretty good update. Finally got the test box installed and on the road late last week. Took it out for a maiden spin and the ratios feel fantastic! The taller 1st makes it useable on a boosted car. 2nd -5th are nice and tight, always in the powerband! I gotta get a video done. One minor issue is that we had to re-grind the proto ring gears to fix an error and they whine quite a bit. They won't in the final version, but you'll hear it in the video, not to be alarmed.

This weekend we took it to an autoX in california along with our Ultimate street car. The ratios were just perfect for autox! great launch and early course from 1st while 2nd was just the right balance of speed and power. This was a wide-open course, but only had a few blips on the rev limiter. In fact quite a bit better than the yellow car with sequential's taller gearing. The course was more suited to the gearing of our Maroon test mule on day 1 and the yellow car was a bit of a hot mess. Both were vying for TTOTD. Ultimately our maroon car with the new gear ratios took it.

2nd day we got both cars dialed in and the yellow car really took off, 2 seconds faster than the maroon one.

I'll try to get some pics and video up soon.

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels

Last edited by fzust; 04-04-2016 at 09:22 AM.
post #157 of 250 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Interlude for results:
At the 2 day event, Alex ran the Ultimate street car, which was bumped to Unlimited. I ran the transmission test mule i.e. Maroon car. It was in import. Alex won unlimited, Fastest Lady, and Fastest Lap. I won the import class and the overall Cup for lowest combined lap time including all penalties for all laps for the entire weekend. Alex wasn't eligible for that in the Unlimited. The transmission held up well to the repeated launches etc. More autox and track duty testing in 2 weeks at Optima's search for the ultimate streetcar.
Attached Images

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #158 of 250 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 01:33 PM

What kind of power are you running in the test mule? There is no substitute for real world testing. Good to hear that the issues you discovered are minor.

05 Saffron Elise (#151)!!!!!
Nitron NTR singles 550/700
BOE Rev 400, fuel surge tank, EFI 1.2
PPE Testpipe, BOE Silent Touch
RacePak IQ3 dash with EFI module
ACT HD/SS clutch, Fidanza FW, LETSA...
post #159 of 250 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:21 PM

Garage
Wonderful job guys! so what about that group buy
post #160 of 250 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 06:24 AM

Garage
Love the fact that at least Alex looks happy about winning!!! Nice work Fred..now to finish my projects so I can work on the next part of my build!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in