Changing the Transmission Gear Oil - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 10:58 AM

yes but GL-5 tends to be not so great on c60 or c64 synchross

05 Toyota Matrix XRS Indigo Ink Pearl 2zz-ge
Progress Rear Sway Bar
TRD STB
PBR Groundwires
MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust
Tein SS coilovers
TWM Short Shifter
Injen CAI
C-one perfromance Fr. Rr. Bar
C-one Underpanel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:57 PM

They also sell fluid pumps at autozone, or you can pull the big 34mm nut for the select shaft detent ball off the top and fill with a funnel and bottle.

As a hint - if you have a gram scale put one bottle in, zero the scale with the empty bottle, and then when you get to the 1/2 bottle you can simply add 1/2 the indicated weight.
post #43 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2.0
They also sell fluid pumps at autozone, or you can pull the big 34mm nut for the select shaft detent ball off the top and fill with a funnel and bottle.
There's a better way than that on the Elsie. The Toyota speedometer "fitting" on the trans is not used on the Elise - just remove the plug and fill from there.

If you don't want to use the normal file plug on the side that it...

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White

post #44 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kortik
This is the stuff that has worked well for me in the Elise/Exige:

Redline MT-90 -- this is a 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil that’s slightly heavier than their MTL. "Provides excellent protection of gears and synchronizers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting."

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
post #45 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
This is the stuff that has worked well for me in the Elise/Exige:

Redline MT-90 -- this is a 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil thats slightly heavier than their MTL. "Provides excellent protection of gears and synchronizers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting."

Me too. I've changed it twice now, at 5K and 30K.

#2116 - Aztec Bronze
post #46 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 05:09 PM

thats what I use mt-90

05 Toyota Matrix XRS Indigo Ink Pearl 2zz-ge
Progress Rear Sway Bar
TRD STB
PBR Groundwires
MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust
Tein SS coilovers
TWM Short Shifter
Injen CAI
C-one perfromance Fr. Rr. Bar
C-one Underpanel
post #47 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kortik
The Manual does say GL-5 is OK. I have learned that GL-5 is designed for high load applications like rear differentials. To get the better lubricity properties, manufactures include additives like sulfur which can be corrosive to synchros. Red Line's site says too much can cut synchro life in half.
So........I also called Redline and talked with one of their technical types. I specifically asked about the synchros and the potential for corrosion with GL-5. They said the 75W-90NS deletes additives that prevent posi clutch chatter (that's what the NS stands for----No Slip) and while it has additives that make it GL-5 quality, they are of a type and level that will not cause any more corrosion than GL-4. Also that fact that it is NS makes for great synchro operation and smooth shifting. I have about 100 miles on mine since the change from the factory dino oil, I think it does shift a bit more smoothly.
Having said all this, I will probably try the MT-90 next time just to see if it's any better.

2006 Elise Sport #46
post #48 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 06:47 PM

Count me in as a proponent of Redline MT-90.

anyone in the bay area (peninsula) in need of 3 bottles of MT-90. I ordered more than I need and at the (slow) rate I'm putting miles on my car I won't be needing the bottles for a long time. You can have them at my cost. PM me...

It's Delux son, Delux. It's not that hard.

http://itsdeluxson.com/
post #49 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 02:51 PM

This is a useful thread, so I thought that I'd bump it.

Just had my transmission fluid changed by Dietsch Werks. It was dirty and cloudy as he said it would be. I do notice a slightly easier shift as well. Thanks, Rob!
post #50 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 PM

bump.....great write up. This and the sands museum right up were extremely helpful. I got about 2.2 - 2.4 quarts of new oil in (MT-90), and spilled about .4-.6 on my garage floor, several miscellaneous body parts, and my torque wrench My car has LSD by the way, and for some reason i hit the wall when filling around the 2 quart mark. i read that else where on here. also checked, checked, and rechecked the "filler" hole before i tried to break it lose after reading arobot's horror story. I bought a hand pump for 4 bucks at harbor freight that was worth its weight in gold. i could squeeze a little extra oil in because the tube dammed the hole as i was filling the transmission. It took about 2 or 3 greasy tries, but with some quick work with the hands, minor spillage, and yanking the tube out and quickly inserting the bolt i pretty well got it topped off Old oil wasnt' toooo bad-moderately dirty with a slight "sheen" to it, undoubtedly from metal shavings during break in. BTW my car has 3k miles on it for those wondering. Also, be sure to check that you have a 24 mm socket! i certainly didn't, and took it for granted. I took one look at the drain bolt and said "Sh*t". Road trip to autozone! Also not a good idea running those two lines there (didn't care to look what they were for). Mine were juuuust far enough out of the way with some minor persuading to get the socket over top of the drain bolt.

Took it for a test drive, noticed an immediate substantial imrpovement in the lower gears, moderate improvement in the higher gears (higher ones were decent from the get-go). I do notice a slight "burnt" smell, but i'm pretty sure its from residue sitting on the casing or something. Very minor. I looked through the spokes and there's no leaks on the undertray underneath the drain bolt, and I'll check the filler bolt for leaks tomorrow. The elise goes down for some minor warranty work tomorrow night anyways, so i'll have them give it the once-over.

I've read that its as "simple as an oil change", which i dont' think is entirely true, but pretty close. Its only a little harder because you're working against gravity for the most part filling it back up, which became cumbersome and messy. Definitely ideally a two-man operation if you can swing it. It took the most time getting out and under the car several times to refill the oil pump. If you could "hand-off" the pump to your buddy "Phil" standing outside the car to fill it up it'd save you a ton of time.

On another note, it saved me a few bucks, which is always good, gave me another excuse to check the cooling tube (still ok), and check for leaks on the oil change and clutch bleed i did a week or so ago (also still ok).

2011 PB Lotus Evora
2014 RAM 1500 Express - Black Express Package (DD)
2006 KG Elise - SOLD
post #51 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:01 PM

Anyone have a good source for a transfer pump? I can't find anything locally and need to do the Evo - blasted thing has more diffs than a calculus class!

torque (trk) n. - an excuse for the lack of momentum.
- let's bring back CanAm & Group B!
- have you hugged your Exige today?
I'm currently working on my performance driving merit badge.
There's always somebody faster, sometimes it's me.
post #52 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codymac View Post
Anyone have a good source for a transfer pump? I can't find anything locally and need to do the Evo - blasted thing has more diffs than a calculus class!
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

This is what I bought. Im sure there are better ones out there, but it did a decent job and there's a harbor freight five minutes from my house.

2011 PB Lotus Evora
2006 KG Elise - SOLD
post #53 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-dculus View Post

This is what I bought. Im sure there are better ones out there, but it did a decent job and there's a harbor freight five minutes from my house.
That'll work (at least once, anyway).

I couldn't find jack at AutoZone, OReilly, or PepBoys - buncha of sort of might work stuff but that would be fiddly.

torque (trk) n. - an excuse for the lack of momentum.
- let's bring back CanAm & Group B!
- have you hugged your Exige today?
I'm currently working on my performance driving merit badge.
There's always somebody faster, sometimes it's me.
post #54 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-dculus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by codymac View Post
That'll work (at least once, anyway).

I always argue with my Dad about the quality of their tools... he's a big fan. Mind you, he was a mechanical engineer his entire career: he designed automotive parts and the machines that made them... but on the other hand he can squeeze 6 pennies out of a nickel.
post #55 of 90 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:03 AM

I'm not patient with using a pump, so I attached a hose to a funnel and just poured the fluid in until a little ran out. Worked fine.

Francis
2006 Chrome Orange Elise: LSD/TC, Nitron SAs with 425/650 springs, BWR 7/8" ("Hardcore") Front Bar, Eliseparts bumpsteer kit, VF Stage 2, 2bular Header + Sport Cat + 8x24 GT3 Muffler, ECU Tune by Jermaine, Smaay's fuel rail, ACT XT clutch, Saikou Michi dual catch can, Moroso pan, Manly's mount inserts & FF Engine Damper
2000 Black Integra Type R - DD: 231,000 miles!
post #56 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 PM

I was experiencing some gear engagment issues at about 5k miles. BH Lotus suspected mechanical problems, but rather than change the trans they changed the gear oil with OEM oil. 6k miles later problem is still gone even though shifts are still kinda notchy when cool (3rd gear upshift is notchy and getting into 1st at the light can be frustrating.) On the track the shifts are great though...go figure. I suppose the oil thins down and makes it all come together more harmoniously.

Anyway, Allen at BH Lotus swears by the OEM fluid and states that the Redline MT90 is more slippery thus gives great shifts but ultimately causes premature synchro wear. He says that he's solved perceived synchro wear in MT90 cars by replacing the oil with OEM. Just what I was told. I would think they would sell whatever oil meets Lotus specs that provides the best performance, and they don't sell MT90.

What I learned is to change the oil often since the old oil did have synchro material (fine dust) and apparently this was causing enough friction to make the shifts notchy.

Sometimes you have to go in circles to move forward.
05 Elise NA
- 2009 Lotus Challenge Series NA Mod champion
- 2010 Lotus Challenge Series Superstock champion
- 2012 Lotus Cup Open Class 2nd Place

post #57 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:11 AM

Which exactly is the OEM oil?

Richard

'13 Scion FR-S (Whiteout)
'07 Lotus Exige S (Aspen White) Touring, Traction, Starshield
'95 Miata (Montego Blue)
post #58 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R'elise Me View Post
I was experiencing some gear engagment issues at about 5k miles. BH Lotus suspected mechanical problems, but rather than change the trans they changed the gear oil with OEM oil. 6k miles later problem is still gone even though shifts are still kinda notchy when cool (3rd gear upshift is notchy and getting into 1st at the light can be frustrating.) On the track the shifts are great though...go figure. I suppose the oil thins down and makes it all come together more harmoniously.

Anyway, Allen at BH Lotus swears by the OEM fluid and states that the Redline MT90 is more slippery thus gives great shifts but ultimately causes premature synchro wear. He says that he's solved perceived synchro wear in MT90 cars by replacing the oil with OEM. Just what I was told. I would think they would sell whatever oil meets Lotus specs that provides the best performance, and they don't sell MT90.

What I learned is to change the oil often since the old oil did have synchro material (fine dust) and apparently this was causing enough friction to make the shifts notchy.
I'd think they'd get paid to promote the oil that Lotus recommends. GL-4 will not contribute to degradation of the synchros. GL-5 would be more prone to do that, however Lotus recommends both GL-4 and/or GL-5 for the elises/exiges. There's much more consistent performance between hot and cold with the MT-90, its not any more "slippery" than the stock fluid when heated up, at least not terribly noticeable. The difference when the tranny is cold is astounding.

2011 PB Lotus Evora
2006 KG Elise - SOLD
post #59 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R'elise Me View Post

Hasn't been our experience. Ran Redline in my first Elise (which then went to McFly) for more than 20K miles with plenty of track use and had no tranny issues. We've been running MT90 in SC cars for over 25K miles with no synchro issues.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
post #60 of 90 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen View Post
There's a better way than that on the Elsie. The Toyota speedometer "fitting" on the trans is not used on the Elise - just remove the plug and fill from there.

If you don't want to use the normal file plug on the side that it...
You have picture (or diagram) that illustrates this speedometer "fitting"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in