CV Boot leaking - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
CV Boot leaking

Today I was checking out the car prior to the next track event. I have BOE's clam hinge (which is a great piece of kit by the way) and once I had it open noticed a good bit of grease on the passenger side under the clam, on the back side of the block and mostly on the top of the pan below the CV Boot. The boot was all sucked up as if it was under a vacuum unlike the three others.

I removed the outer clamp which holds the boot to the half shaft and pulled the boot out a bit so I could inspect it while rotating the shaft. There are no holes, splits or tears in the boot??? So, how did the grease get out and why???? There does seem to be residue on the larger inner side of the boot and this area is in line with the path the grease took so it would appear that it escaped from the inner side of the boot past the clamp.

Now I have two question besides what happened???

How much grease should be put back into the CV Joint???
Where can I get a tool to re-affix the clamps???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 02:48 PM

Your local parts store should have the boot clamps, tool and CV joint grease. I bought all this just a few months ago.

My car is modified.
www.lotussport.org
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 04:38 AM

It's possible the CV joint is defective, so it's heating up in use and spitting the grease out. If it does it again after you refill it that might be something to check.

Francis
2006 Chrome Orange Elise: LSD/TC, Nitron SAs with 425/650 springs, BWR 7/8" ("Hardcore") Front Bar, Eliseparts bumpsteer kit, VF Stage 2, 2bular Header + Sport Cat + 8x24 GT3 Muffler, ECU Tune by Jermaine, Smaay's fuel rail, ACT XT clutch, Saikou Michi dual catch can, Moroso pan, Manly's mount inserts & FF Engine Damper
2000 Black Integra Type R - DD: 231,000 miles!

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have considered that. My question is can these be repacked??? The one I have issue with is the passenger side inboard next to the pillow block bearing that supports the shaft that comes from the transmission. I plan to pack it, track it and then check it...I will go from there
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 01:43 PM

I had exactly the same issue. Passenger side spit out grease, the boot was under vacuum so there are obviously no holes cracks etc in the boot.

At first I cleaned it up, repacked with high temp CV grease (available at any parts store) and put the factory clamp back on. But after a couple of track days it did it again.

Next I repacked the joint and installed a new universal boot clamp since I could not find the correct size OEM boot clamp.

I have not had an issue since putting on the new clamp. Seems the clamp either stretched over time or the OEM is not as tight a fit as it should be. Funny that the drivers side uses the same clamp does not seem to have an issue.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
I have considered that. My question is can these be repacked??? The one I have issue with is the passenger side inboard next to the pillow block bearing that supports the shaft that comes from the transmission. I plan to pack it, track it and then check it...I will go from there
I don't think there is any repacking, the grease is simply held around the joint by the rubber boot.

My car is modified.
www.lotussport.org
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 06:50 AM

I have this problem in spades and am looking for a solution.

Question to those who have experienced this: are you running an aftermarket exhaust header (without heat shields)? I am (Blade275 w/ 2bular headers, ceramic coated).

I suspect the heat is cooking the grease in the joint.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 12:32 PM

Raxles.com has replacement boots. Interesting idea about the heat.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 03:02 PM

I am running a PPE header without heat shields. I had the passenger-side CV boot burst twice within about a months time. One of my mechanic friends, also hypothesized that the boot was over heating, expanding and eventually bursting. His suggestion was to install a vent in the CV boot. When we replaced the CV boot the second time, we installed a vent, i.e., inserted a little red straw from a WD-40 can into the boot before clamping it down. This solution has held up for close to 1000 track miles.

amber
06'CO Exige
If in doubt....flat out!!!
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the responses! I am going to get a heat shield made up and replace the grease and see how that holds up. For the record, here are a couple of pics: just how much grease came out and the rather stressed boot (gaiter).
Attached Images

post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:33 AM

Does anyone know the correct size for the boot clamp? Thanks!
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:52 AM

What a MESS. You don't want to clean this up more than once.

Save your self the trouble of using those silly Autozone etc. CV Boot clamps. They will not hold.

I used two narrow Ideal clamps strung together end to end. Lots of road time and track time and it's still nice and clean under there.

Life, Liberty and the Happiness of Pursuit

I can help you move TO anywhere in the USA FROM anywhere in the USA - ask me how...
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:14 AM

Good pics, I just noticed mine did this.. my grease is clear... there is some but not as bad as others have shown here (so far). Hopefully the colder weather helps prevent this from happening further. Looks like from reading the two options to mitigate this are a heat shield and/or better clamps.

Any updates from those that have fixed the issue?

Click links to see my 2008 Lotus Exige-S 240 , '99 M3, 505rwhp '89 Mustang ( sold) , '05 WRX STI ( sold) homepages or here for my spin compilations (ispunuwin & ispinuwin2!)!
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 05:34 PM

post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 07:21 PM

I had this problem too. An aftermarket CV joint boot clamp tightened over the same vent described above has worked for awhile so far (thanks DRS). I'm going to wrap my headers because I think heat is the culprit.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-clayton View Post
Raxles.com has replacement boots. Interesting idea about the heat.
Also had this issue although my boot was torn. Thanks Jim on the Raxles info.
Great guy to deal with and he only sells just the boots to Lotus people. He said don't tell anyone else that he sells just the boot. The kit he made is better quality than OEM and only $24!
Replace both on the affected side while you are at it.
My transmission fluid is leaking after I pulled the half axle. Is the C clamp loose or does anyone know what could be cause?
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chococar View Post
I had this problem too. An aftermarket CV joint boot clamp tightened over the same vent described above has worked for awhile so far (thanks DRS). I'm going to wrap my headers because I think heat is the culprit.
The red tube melted during the first session after installation and looked like a red stripe. But no leaks.
Attached Images

post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:19 PM

I am pretty convinced now after two track days that the heat is the issue. I have no leaking now and my CV joint boot looks cool (pun alert). Here is a photo of my setup, note the shield bolted to the block and the shiny stuff on the parts of the half-shaft that I do not want to get hot.
Attached Images

Last edited by thebuzzard; 11-24-2011 at 02:56 AM.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 02:17 PM

How about a photo showing the heat shield over the CV boot itself please?

Thanks,

Joe
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 03:11 PM

Here is a pic from the top (sorry, my tray is back on and so I just stuck my phone into the bay right near the belt-tensioner damper). You see the shield is driver-side of the boot to get between the header and the boot (my headers are black, visible in the other shots). The shield is stiff-enough steel plate to hold up bolted only to the block (to the right in the shot). It runs up the block, horizontal, then down at about 45 degrees to the rear of the car. I used the stud and the bolt-hole in the block in the vicinity. I hope this helps...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in