CV Boot leaking - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 04:48 AM
user /tron

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyshane View Post
If I were you, I'd replace the entire boot with one of BOE's "tuff boots" and fill it with Redline CV2 grease. The OEM boot is eventually going to crack. They are so thin compared to the tuff boots! I've been running these tuff boots with CV2 grease for three years now, with my heat shield, and no more seepage. Like you, my Elise is a track toy and is at track 6-8 weekends every year. Very comforting not having to worry about huge messes anymore.
Eventually I'd like to do that, but again, trying to get by without pulling the axels out for the rest of the season. I"m a pretty green mechanic, without much free time for garage projects, and that's not really a job I want to tackle to be honest.

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'17 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, cement grey
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Past toys: '02 WRX | '06 STI | '14 Subaru BRZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 05:37 AM

I see what you're sayin'. You could pull the boot off, like you said, and attempt to clean out as much grease as you can, then replace with CV2. You'll certainly be better off than you are now!

2005 Lotus Elise, naturally aspirated and always at redline!
2018 NASA Great Lakes Region TT4 Champion
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 06:36 AM
Plug Whisperer

In my brutal opinion, you're wasting your time to leave even a spec of old grease in there.... Pulling the axles apart is quick and easy. the hard part is the mess the grease change makes. Get box of gloves, a large oil drip pan, and do the work on that. You'll need a box of rags and make sure they're loose on the counter so they're easy to fetch. Mop out the old grease, get it all clean and repack.

The stock grease has lost its goody, absorbed moisture, lost much of its lubricity, and has become acidic, while lowering it's boiling point.... just like your engine oil, it needs to be changed, not simply topped off with good stuff...

-Phil
Turbopun likes this.

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 06:40 AM
user /tron

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
In my brutal opinion, you're wasting your time to leave even a spec of old grease in there.... Pulling the axles apart is quick and easy. the hard part is the mess the grease change makes. Get box of gloves, a large oil drip pan, and do the work on that. You'll need a box of rags and make sure they're loose on the counter so they're easy to fetch. Mop out the old grease, get it all clean and repack.

The stock grease has lost its goody, absorbed moisture, lost much of its lubricity, and has become acidic, while lowering it's boiling point.... just like your engine oil, it needs to be changed, not simply topped off with good stuff...

-Phil
Ya, I was approaching that conclusion. I just ordered a set of tuff boots, at least for that passenger side that gets all the heat, and may just bit the bullet and pay someone to do the job; that or go to a friends place with a lift and tackle it.

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 09:55 AM
He's on fire!

I had this happen to me a few weeks ago. Stock power, catted 2bular exhaust. No extensive mods.

In the short term, you can refill the boot and reclamp. I recommend trying to get as much grease out of it as you can, but you're really not going to get the grease out of the joint. That probably isn't something you want to keep long term because if you're stock, the grease is probably old and thin. Mine lasted this way for a couple track days before I placed an order to BOE and renewed the grease and boots on a "maintenance" weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideMooch View Post
Digging up an old thread because this just happened to me on track a couple weekends ago. Interestingly, it looks like I'm the only one with OEM exhaust that this has happened to. Made a god awful mess - it looks like every bit of grease came out and is spattered in the engine bay. Best I can tell my boot is intact, but it also didn't look 'sucked in' like some had mentioned.

I'd like to try to refill it with CV2 grease without pulling the whole axel and replacing the boot. Any advice on this? I'm going to get a grease gun with a needle fitting and cut one of the bands off, slip it in (hehe), inject and re-clamp if I can even do that with it on the car. Is that feasible?

Would love to see some more pictures of heat shields people made. Since my stock exhaust is on, those studs others described using are occupied by the exhaust bracket.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 12:09 PM
Plug Whisperer

^ just for clarity on the above, don't "refill the boot"... the boot shouldn't actually have grease in it... it obviously gets there, but the grease goes in the joint, not in the boot. the boot keeps the internals of the joint and the area around the joint clean....

-Phil
jds62f likes this.

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 05:14 AM
user /tron

Just finished mine up. Completely disassembled and cleaned the inner, re-packed with CV2 (no clue if there is 'enough' in there; hard to tell with how much in-and-out motion that joint has, but everything was liberally covered), and used BOE Tuffboots to close it up. The outer I took the boot off wiped down and injected a lot of new CV2 into and re-booted as well.
Since I'm still using the stock exhaust with stock header heat shield there is no where for me to easily mount a new shield for the CV (others have used bolt locations that are from the stock exhaust header bracket which I still have in place). Instead, I wrapped the entire damn axle in gold reflective tape. Is it overkill? probably. but I really don't want to do this job over again, haha. When I finally upgrade the exhaust I'll have the clam off and make a heat shield as well, or just wrap the headers, since the standard coatings don't seem to be doing the trick for most folks.

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 09:51 AM

Did my shield.

Shield wrapped with reflective fiberglass back tape. Step up shield over the boot for clearance during suspension compression.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
RideMooch likes this.

Yes you, Peewee.
post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 11:21 AM
user /tron

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn View Post
Did my shield.

Shield wrapped with reflective fiberglass back tape. Step up shield over the boot for clearance during suspension compression.

Just figured out a good way to mount a shield on mine too before the axle goes back in.
Is yours Aluminum sheet? What gauge? Having a hard time finding thick enough al locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 12:55 PM

Yes aluminum and i believe its ~ 0.32 inch thick.

Yes you, Peewee.
post #51 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 01:32 PM

I meant 0.032 inch.

Yes you, Peewee.
post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 06:21 AM
user /tron

Made up a shield last night after looking up and realizing I could use the existing header support bracket as a starting point. Mocked it up with cardboard first, then found some sheet aluminum at my local Tractor supply (dont laugh, the only Al they had thick enough was polished diamond plate on one side haha).
Basically, I took off the OEM header support bracket, drilled several holes in it, lined it up with the shield I bent up, drilled the shield and riveted them together with some heavy duty Aluminum 3/16" large pop-rivets I had already on hand. Covered the top/exhaust side with gold reflective tape I had leftover from wrapping the axle.

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in