Deciphering the ECU - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:32 PM
OSX Black hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob13572468
oh, that might explain why the 06 ecu will not do the data dump as well... they might have removed these routines altogether. it will be interesting to see what happens when you try the read frames on an '06.

nice pics as well... they seem to be showing enough of the circuit traces to do the trick...
the updated code adds the dump, ive got the non dump low cam version

Black Exige S / Elan M100. Don't run a smaller pulley without an upgraded fuel pump! http://www.goth.am ecu stuff.. New reflash box coming soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 01:56 PM

Rob, you're a genius! What can I do to help? Get you coffee, buy you dinner, give you my first born son (you probably don't really want him), donate to the cause, etc?

Does this mean that a cool software tool of sorts would be available to the forum members before too long?
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 05:05 PM

If this would be available to members, may I make a suggestion?

First, allow the software to do the following:
1. Disable learn
2. User selectable low/hi cam settings
3. Speedo correction (user selectable +/- %)

That would probably meet the immediate need for just about everyone needing to "get their tune back". This allows those with piggybacks to reprogram them and keep going with what they have. And...no one is going to blow up their motor since these mods are very safe.

Then, maybe enhance the software to do the actual remapping of fuel,timing,etc. to allow the ECU to standalone. No more piggybacks or non OEM standalones that have their own problems. This is the ultimate solution.

Just my 02 cents worth, and I know I'm not alone when I say thanks for all you have done on this project.

post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus6

1. Disable learn

That would probably meet the immediate need for just about everyone needing to "get their tune back". This allows those with piggybacks to reprogram them and keep going with what they have. And...no one is going to blow up their motor since these mods are very safe.

Then, maybe enhance the software to do the actual remapping of fuel,timing,etc. to allow the ECU to standalone. No more piggybacks or non OEM standalones that have their own problems. This is the ultimate solution.

Just my 02 cents worth, and I know I'm not alone when I say thanks for all you have done on this project.
Why bother disabling the learn and why use a piggyback. Just remap the areas you want and ditch the piggyback. Then adjust the learn so it meets the parameters you want.
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:38 PM

A good mod would be to redo the airflow curve for a larger diameter intake. Then you will see some gains up high. 2.75" pipe (1/16th wall) seems to be ideal for this engine. People have used 3" with a free-flowing exhaust, but I don't think it would idle all that well.

It is all about "Other".
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:

1. Disable learn
I think that is what charliex has done.
post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 02:55 AM

"If this would be available to members"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB
I think that is what charliex has done.
No. Charlie has done it ,but it is not for public use.
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 06:13 AM

My suggestion was actually two-fold. First, perhaps Rob would be willing to share his work, and if not, maybe Charlie, seeing that this breaks no encryption, uses no Lotus IP, and at this first release level does not allow the end user to trash his motor and try to sue Charlie, Rob, or anyone else, would make Charlie comfortable with releasing it. It's a set of safe mods.

Secondly, the time it takes to create a finished product to do all of the remapping with no bugs will take be a lot longer. We all need a quick solution right now. I do agree that ultimately we would want to completely control the ECU, but this is an excellent compromise for a first release.

As far as any EPA laws go, it's not the suppliers of aftermarket performance products that are breaking any law. It really comes down to the individual who puts the mod on the car.

Charlie, Rob, can would you guys be comfortable with such a first release?
post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
My suggestion was actually two-fold. First, perhaps Rob would be willing to share his work, and if not, maybe Charlie, seeing that this breaks no encryption, uses no Lotus IP, and at this first release level does not allow the end user to trash his motor and try to sue Charlie, Rob, or anyone else, would make Charlie comfortable with releasing it. It's a set of safe mods.

Secondly, the time it takes to create a finished product to do all of the remapping with no bugs will take be a lot longer. We all need a quick solution right now. I do agree that ultimately we would want to completely control the ECU, but this is an excellent compromise for a first release.

As far as any EPA laws go, it's not the suppliers of aftermarket performance products that are breaking any law. It really comes down to the individual who puts the mod on the car.

Charlie, Rob, can would you guys be comfortable with such a first release?
It's not as easy as you think. Yes you can disable the learn, but that feature is a safety net for the engine. Before anything should be released, you would need to know that this disable feature doesn't cause any negative effects. The code for the 05 is long, like reading through the Manhattan Phone Book, and it takes a lot of time to go through it all, none the less understand everything it does. It takes many hours, that frankly Charlie, Rob, myself & who ever else are not reimbursed for. Also, this is not a venture that will every break even and that's why no other company is willing to get involved. So my advice is to be patient and see what happens.
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 06:35 AM

I do know what your saying Scotty. I know that the guys working on this can never be sufficiently compensated for the time they've spent. I only wish I had the knowledge to help out. My programming experience is over 20 years, but not at the assembly level.

I really am trying to be patient too. Really. Like everyone else in the same boat, I'm getting excited about being sooooo close.
post #51 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reganfin
"If this would be available to members"

No. Charlie has done it ,but it is not for public use.
I realize that. I should have limited my quote more. Though that was not my intention, it could be read as being publicly/generally available. It is not and may never be. However, it is quite a feat, congrats to Charlie!
post #52 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Rob, you're a genius! What can I do to help? Get you coffee, buy you dinner, give you my first born son (you probably don't really want him), donate to the cause, etc?

Does this mean that a cool software tool of sorts would be available to the forum members before too long?
while i do this type of work for a living, learning about the ecu in our cars is strictly a hobby for me. i am not in any way looking to sell anything and i have not and will not accept any money/compensation/etc. the idea is to give the community the information that they need to modify the way their car runs just as they would add or change performance parts and at the same time create a free alternative to the questionable $400+ dollar ecu flash/mod/upgrade that some of the elise tuners have been attempting to sell.

of course with the ability to change the ecu comes the potential to cause big problems and do damage. charlie and scotty have touched on this subject already but it shouldnt be understated that you had better know exactly what you're doing before you touch your ecu and then still be prepared for the possibility that things might go bad for any number of reasons.

for anyone interested the best thing to do is to start downloading the reference materials and start reading up and learning.
post #53 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 03:04 PM

Rob,

It's nice to see someone in it for the enjoyment of it. Can you please clarify what is/will be available? Will there be continued information available to those that can program in 68k or do you foresee some type of software for those who don't know 68k. Like me. I'll learn if I have to and have already learned a fair amount in the past 24 hours, but it's not an easy task.

Thanks again.
post #54 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 01:18 AM

Keep up the good work, it's all a bit gobblydeegeek to me, sounds like unraveling the human DNA gene mapping stuff. But it would be really useful to be able to reprogramme the ecu to allow alterations to set up to be made. i have an M62 charger and a spare Toyota inlet manifold and was planning on doing a diy install on an 04 model with wire throttle cable, but the ecu issues are currently putting me off.
post #55 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 03:43 PM

*ahem*

Thread resurrection.

Would love to get my hands on a DBW dump.

eta: without being an EE and running one on a bench.

torque (trk) n. - an excuse for the lack of momentum.
- let's bring back CanAm & Group B!
- have you hugged your Exige today?
I'm currently working on my performance driving merit badge.
There's always somebody faster, sometimes it's me.
post #56 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 01:19 PM

Oooooooooooooo.... never yo mind!

post #57 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 01:35 PM
OSX Black hat

I'm calling the RIAA!

Black Exige S / Elan M100. Don't run a smaller pulley without an upgraded fuel pump! http://www.goth.am ecu stuff.. New reflash box coming soon!
post #58 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex View Post
I'm calling the RIAA!
And Metallica too!

Thomas

The new owner of RLS is Austin, you can contact him at: Austin0Barrett <<<< @ >>>> gmail <<<< dot >>>> com
post #59 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 PM
OSX Black hat

I wonder if that'd work, if you embedded a copyrighted music file that you licensed into one of your roms ?

Quick to the Patent Office!

post #60 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex View Post
I'm calling the RIAA!

These aren't the droids you're looking for!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in