Deciphering the ECU - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:14 PM

Please excuse me for neglecting to read more deeply, but I just don't have the time to devote. Also, I think this would be very easy and fast for all of you who have participated in this thread to answer. I understand that the ECU has a motorola CPU which was mentioned in this thread.

I understand that a complete hexdump would give you a map of all the memory locations of this board from beginning to end, and that the assembly I'm seeing corresponds to machine instructions on the motorola chip

What I don't understand is where the formatting and comments are coming from. Am I to understand that there are tools that extrapolate enough from the machien language to write intelligent comments around the assembly, and that a programmer can use this as a starting poitn to refine?

Is this the executable code from the board which is run in real time? How much of the ECU is flashable? Are ECUs standard in any way across car manufacturers? How did you connect to this particular board? Is there a standard interface?

If there is a good resource I can read that would orient me to ECUs, and general hacking principles around this particular hardware, I'd appreciate it. How are things done in the world of ECUs?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:29 PM

OK, I'd missed the second page of posts, and I saw Rob mention CAN (Controller area network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Since CAN is decentralized, and ecu can be an electronic control unit or the engine control unit, then we are talking about the engine control unit.

And based on the discussion, there are useful routines on chip that would allow one to modify ECU memory by running code on the ECU, or even running code in RAM or flash rather than some from memory in ROM. Is this correct?

Also, I'd be happy to provide any dumps of dad's ECU if I can get a hold of the right hardware to do so.

A couple of buddies would be pretty interested, especially as they have been playing with the freescale processor they put on the DEFCON badges last year.
post #63 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:44 PM

Did anyone ever successfully do their own ECU Dump at least? I don't live too close to a dealer. I do my own maintenance for the most part. I'd like a DIY solution shy of paying 3k or whatever for the scan tool. This post has been quiet a while...

post #64 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:46 PM

Charlie, regarding your post from eons ago, did you or any of the other guys ever get a DIY ECU dump solution figured out? Thanks. I've got a Vison Function S2 tune, btw.
post #65 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey D View Post
Did anyone ever successfully do their own ECU Dump at least? I don't live too close to a dealer. I do my own maintenance for the most part. I'd like a DIY solution shy of paying 3k or whatever for the scan tool. This post has been quiet a while...

this is quite a necro thread bump... and I don't know if CharlieX visits lotustalk anymore.

if your car uses ISO9141-2 (i.e. is pre 2008 MY), then i created a java tool that works with a vag com cable that can read the performance data histograms.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25...8/#post5729474
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in