Easy Cheap Intake Mod Simple Enough for Idiots - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:04 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
I hesitate to get involved and make more enemies with certain vendors.. but I have even had one vendor tell me that the dyno they posted and reference, is what they got when they bolted a CAI on the car (presumably because it makes the engine initially run lean...so more power).

But they then ran a dyno a week later and found they had lost horsepower from stock.

I can tell you that my engine air-fuel maps were pretty screwed up after running an intake on the car for some time. I can tell you that I dynoed my car with some different intake solutions and I trust the results I got. I am not selling an intake. But, your mileage may vary. In the end, I took off the aftermarket intake because that was the best results on the dyno I could get. With spending THOUSANDS of dollars chasing very little gains on this car, I am going to run the best solution I could... and that solution ended up being the stock airbox.

My findings were backed up in a discussion with someone at Lotus, and they did a lot of testing on the car.

In the end... for me... stock air box, green filter, removed snorkle, disabled air flap.

I have seen the Lotus Stage 3 intake... and I think this will also be a good solution... when it finally gets released.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:09 AM

This is what my 5 yr old son thinks

momlzfhjukilnbvmaxdfre mnbhgfyvcxsserrrrtytr6e ytryroiugffbbbbmjkloughhjjjjjjhmmmmm,mm,mnmbhjhnm
khhhhhhmmmmmggftttuioiuygfgrfdvv fghgfhgfhgf
.mkjhbvgftrdxczsaqwvnmkiju

Sometimes you have to go in circles to move forward.
05 Elise NA
- 2009 Lotus Challenge Series NA Mod champion
- 2010 Lotus Challenge Series Superstock champion
- 2012 Lotus Cup Open Class 2nd Place

post #63 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:16 AM
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R'elise Me
momlzfhjukilnbvmaxdfre mnbhgfyvcxsserrrrtytr6e ytryroiugffbbbbmjkloughhjjjjjjhmmmmm,mm,mnmbhjhnm
khhhhhhmmmmmggftttuioiuygfgrfdvv fghgfhgfhgf
.mkjhbvgftrdxczsaqwvnmkiju
I think he's trying to tell you something.

I see....

mom max tr6 try f mmm,mmm bj gf

Does your wife know someone named max? Did they try something in his tr6? Is she now his girlfriend?

'12 Evora-S; White; Tech/Perf/Suede
'65 Factory Five Shelby Cobra (SOLD)
'06 Exige; Polar Blue; Track/Touring/Stage II/LSD-TC (SOLD)
'05 Elise; Arctic Silver/Ruby Red (R.I.P)

post #64 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase

...In the end... for me... stock air box, green filter, removed snorkle, disabled air flap...

I have seen the Lotus Stage 3 intake... and I think this will also be a good solution... when it finally gets released.
Why put the Green filter on if the ECU is setted to cut all benefits of more air flow?
In this way all you can get is more dirt on the engine and no hp gains like other CAI...

Regarding the Stage3 kit by now all we have is reflashed ECU from Lotus Motorsport with low engage for cams at 5700, no hp gains because it is setted just like the standard for cutting all different parameters.

If Lotus had discovered a way to get 20 more hp from the Toyota engine with only an ECU map, a Cai and an exhaust, probably they launch it on the market only after all the Exige S will be sold...

WWW.111R.ORG

2004 Lotus SY 111R Elise VF II

Last edited by Iceman-; 12-07-2006 at 07:23 AM.
post #65 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:42 AM

There is no doubt that the Lotus ECU adjusts the LTFTs (Long Term Fuel Trims) to account for a less restrictive intake, and this tends to negate any performance gains over time. I saw this when I first brought my car in to have the turbo installed - my ECU maps were odd after running a less restrictive intake and exhaust. That Lotus ECU is a piece of work - those Lotus engineers knew EXACTLY how they wanted the car to run, and they didn't want anyone mucking with it.
post #66 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Buz

The increased airflow is not the problem. The stock ecu adjusts the A/F ratio. If you increase airflow without degrading the maf performance or increasing intake temperature the motor will make more power. Any extra gains from a lean mixture will be tuned out but if airflow is increased the motor will make more power at the same A/F that it had originally. Most of the power that can be made with ecu tuning would not be compatible with 91octane fuel, warranty considerations, and emission requirements. The 5700 cam change should have been used from the start on every 2zz powered Elise.
post #67 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:
In the end... for me... stock air box, green filter, removed snorkle, disabled air flap.
Where's the air flap? Does disable mean remove?

My car is modified.
www.lotussport.org
post #68 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 09:14 AM

Stage 3 reflash

Iceman,

Maybe I missed something, but has the Stage 3 kit been released? Also, when/how did you get the 5700 rpm cam switch over?

Randy,

Did you put the velocity stack on?

Thanks!
post #69 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Buz

The 5700 is only available from Lotus in Europe. Get it from Dave on this list for less money. It works great and a couple hp to boot.
post #70 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedr117
Iceman,

Maybe I missed something, but has the Stage 3 kit been released? Also, when/how did you get the 5700 rpm cam switch over?

Randy,

Did you put the velocity stack on?

Thanks!
Stage 3 kit is not released yet.

I did not put the velocity stack on. I can't see any reason to.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #71 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLotus
Where's the air flap? Does disable mean remove?
No. It means disconnecting and removing and capping off the vacuum hoses to the control.

post #72 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-
Why put the Green filter on if the ECU is setted to cut all benefits of more air flow?
I am not running the stock ECU anymore, though I did test using it.

Initial dyno indicated a performance gain. It is certainly possible that any gains using any filter could be negated by the stock ECU.

And the main reason is cleanability. I like being able to clean the filter periodically since the stock filter was so dirty.

post #73 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I am not running the stock ECU anymore, though I did test using it.
And the million dollar question is: Which ECU are you using?

My car is modified.
www.lotussport.org
post #74 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLotus
And the million dollar question is: Which ECU are you using?
I wish that question was worth money. The answer has been in my sig for two months.

post #75 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:40 AM

How much of a gain in HP/Torque did you realize with the modifications and EFI ECU?

My car is modified.
www.lotussport.org
post #76 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:45 AM

5700 cam switchover

Buz,

Which Dave? What's his username? Also, does this void the warranty, or is it a Lotus reflash therefore it's ok?

Randy,
Is EFI a company name? Also, how much did it cost?

Thanks.
post #77 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Buz

His username is Dave. Two dealers have done warranty work on my car and knew about the chip. I told them so they would not do a reflash which would return it to factory specs.
post #78 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedr117
Randy,
Is EFI a company name? Also, how much did it cost?

Thanks.
Yes, EFI is a company name. This is a programmable unit with datalogging and more. It is driving the dash and doing everything that the stock ECU did. Except more because we can program in some gains. I believe there are also levels of the ECU depending on what you want to do. Mine is now ready for Forced Induction also. Just in case.

There are some cool features we can use with this ECU. More on that later. Plus they have a custom harness for the new ECU.

As far as cost, I have no idea. My car is a test mule for EFI and the tuning shop and Blackwatch Racing. They are all working together on this project. My contribution is the car, which has been up in the tuning shop for a while.

I can't speak for them... but I think the idea is that they were looking at how much they could get in gains from the 2ZZ in NA form...using a kit of sorts involving exhaust, intake, cams, and ECU. I can speak for me in that I was looking for the most torque in midrange so that the car would be faster in Autocross. I expect they have a bit more development work to do and they want to make sure everything is totally stable and working well. Which should be very soon as the latest reports have my car running well and I should be getting it back tomorrow or this weekend.

post #79 of 210 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:51 PM
BANNED

Just took off my snorkel without adding anything. Which is way easier, no need to take off the wheel, just the extra coolant tank. The Snorkel was only have on the intake hole to begin with, lol...
post #80 of 210 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:37 PM

Hey guys, sorry to bring up an old thread, but I saw at least two guys mention using 45 deg elbows on the box opening, and just wanted to make sure you guys realized that the impedence in airflow you get from adding a bend like that makes any talk of laminar flow and velocity stack angles very insignificant.

Rich air and clear skies,
Austin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in