Fuhking Flywheel...Errrr!!!!! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr.C
  • 1 Post By turbophil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Fuhking Flywheel...Errrr!!!!!

I bought a Fidanza flywheel off of another member about 6 months or so back. I finally got around to installing it and have been working on it for a couple of hours a night all week, trying to get it ready for an upcoming track day. After buying a new torque wrench, trans jack, axle puller, etc.., I finally managed to get the transmission out and the flywheel off. I put the new one on, and quickly realize it doesn't fit. WTF? I compare it to the old one, and it's not even close. Mtherfckr!!!!! It felt horrible putting the old flywheel back on after all that work.

The flywheel was new, but in an open box. The box was marked with PN 130131, which according to the fidanza website is the correct one for the Elise. Looking at the picture, you can clearly see that the one I have is different. The flywheel has "T01-6589" hand engraved next to the SFI sticker, but I can't figure out that means.

Any idea what this thing is supposed to fit? A 1zz maybe? Do you think it got mispackaged at the factory, or did the guy I bought it from get it mixed up?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGeek View Post
WTF? I compare it to the old one, and it's not even close. Mtherfckr!!!!! It felt horrible putting the old flywheel back on after all that work.
That really, really, really sucks. I've got a Fidanza flywheel waiting to go on as well (for that last 3 years). Glad I didn't try. I'll have to go check the numbers.

At least you are familiar with the procedure now, if that helps.

Fast in, fast out.
2013 Mini Cooper S, 2007 Honda Odyssey (the wife's), gone: 2006 Elise
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 10:35 PM

Part number mix up maybe....that things looks waaayyyy beefy compared to the stock unit.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 11:43 PM
German Reimport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrock View Post
Part number mix up maybe....that things looks waaayyyy beefy compared to the stock unit.
What makes it look "waaayyy beefy"???
The fact that it has some bolts to hold a steel friction plate on an aluminum disc, while the stock FW is cast iron?

I don't think one can compare "beefyness" of two different flywheels made out of different materials by looking at a picture.

Sorry MotoGeek about the trouble. That really sucks...

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 06:00 AM

Maybe you can check with Sector 111? They seem to keep them in stock, so maybe they can get you the right part numbers or a good contact at Fidanza to see if there is anything they can do? Yea, I know, second hand and all that makes it difficult

That really sucks, I've been there before with parts that aren't right, but never a flywheel! I bet you invented a few more swear words in the process...

If brute force doesn't work, you're not using enough.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 09:01 AM

find out what the correct application is, and sell it on ebay advertised correctly.
then, buy the correct new one from a reputable business.

1977 Crossle 32F
1999 Spec Miata
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
What makes it look "waaayyy beefy"???
The fact that it has some bolts to hold a steel friction plate on an aluminum disc, while the stock FW is cast iron?

I don't think one can compare "beefyness" of two different flywheels made out of different materials by looking at a picture.
Going by the fact that the "new" one looks to be a good 2"+ bigger in diameter....hence the part number mix up idea.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Hah, I'm cleaning out my garage and decided to Google these numbers one last time before I pitch this thing into the recycle bin. The only hit was this thread.

I realize it's been the better part of a decade, but I'd caution anyone considering buying something from Tripper Cook in Georgia, to do their homework.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 02:50 PM

Buy a new flywheel, and find a home for that one later to make some of your money back. It would deff be a huge waste to pull the trans and not update the flywheel. I love mine.
All conversations about the lighter flywheel being a compromise are garbage. The car still idles fine, and I taught my wife to drive stick with the lightweight flywheel. If anything it would be better if it was another 2lbs lighter
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:02 PM

So what is the correct part # for a Fidanza flywheel? This seems like a pretty straight-forward issue. If the part # is wrong then the manufacturer should just take it back or exchange it. Period. They clearly state that this is the correct part #. Has anyone else had this issue with this specific part#? Or is this just a one-off issue where a part was marked improperly?

Fidanza's database clearly shows this part number for all cars with this engine and transmission combo.
https://shop-fidanza.com/collections...11937536344107

'06 Exige Chrome Orange | NA | Touring | Traction Control | Cup Air Box | FastWorks Torque 200 | PPE Headers | PPE Cat Delete | LBH Racing Raptor Exhaust | Engine Mount Inserts | Penske DA with 600/800 springs | BOE Toe-links | Shaved Steering Arms | Sector 111 Harness Bar | Schroth Harnesses | Shifter Reinforced | DBW Pedals | DIY Clutch Stop | Team Dynamics 1.2's | Sector 111 Ultradisks | BOE TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | Radium Coolant Expansion Tank
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:45 PM
German Reimport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusninja View Post
So what is the correct part # for a Fidanza flywheel? This seems like a pretty straight-forward issue. If the part # is wrong then the manufacturer should just take it back or exchange it. Period. They clearly state that this is the correct part #. Has anyone else had this issue with this specific part#? Or is this just a one-off issue where a part was marked improperly?

Fidanza's database clearly shows this part number for all cars with this engine and transmission combo.
https://shop-fidanza.com/collections...11937536344107
130131 is what I had ordered years ago from MWR, and that worked fine.
This thread is 7 years old, and I haven't seen any other comments about fitment issues with the Fidanza wheel since then, so it might have been a one-off situation
lotusninja likes this.

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 10:10 AM
Plug Whisperer

Main thing on the fidanza FW, which is a good par,t is to get the longer ARP bolts, as the flange is thicker....

Cheers,

Phil
lotusninja likes this.

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in