GM V6 tubo engine swap in Elise- Vehicle Speed Sensor hook up? Help! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Question GM V6 tubo engine swap in Elise- Vehicle Speed Sensor hook up? Help!

Those of you who saw my thread in the past may recall I was putting a new GM V6 into my Lotus Elise, Well, I am still trying to get it finished. I now have a 2013 GM 3.6 out of a 2013 Camaro with a custom turbo/ intercooler, mated to a 2007 GM F-40 transaxle.

So I finally got my car running about 2-3 years ago but I have not been able to get it properly tuned. It was tuned by a local tuner but the car would only rev to 4000rpm and up until now, I have had several people trying to figure it out but no one could. Granted, it already made 300whp and 300ft lbs of torque with a flat torque curve, but would only rev to 4000rpm. I finally discovered that this was due to the throttle only being about 1/4 open. The engine should redline closer to 6800rpm and put down closer to 500whp and comparable torque. So, the car has been sitting this whole time trying to find someone to figure out what was wrong and how to tune it. Summer is not that long here in Michigan and I don't want to miss out on another.

THE PROBLEM:
Turns out, I don't have a Vehicle Speed Sensor hooked up and that is required in order to tune the 2013 Camaro 3.6L engine as it relies on the info for torque monitoring etc. You can't tune it out and they just can't tune it without a Vehicle Speed Sensor. (I really would have thought that someone could have figured that out sooner as I have been working on trying to tune this thing for 3yrs now!) The transmission I used (GM F-40 transaxle) does not have a VSS as the vehicles that the trans was used in received info from the ABS/ speed sensor to get VSS data to the engine computer. I understand that the Lotus Elise used a similar set up off of the ABS system.

I have a friend that thought he might be able to get a signal from the Lotus speed sensor to the computer if I can get my hands on a wiring diagram for the Lotus. Any help there would be appreciated. However, I also do not know if the signal would be compatible Are most VSS signals the same? I also want to make sure my ABS works and I wouldn't want to mess anything up with that.

Is there another way to get a VSS signal to my GM computer? I also could still use some help with the instrument gages etc. I had someone who was going to help but lost touch as this project too so long. I guess the Lotus and GM computer use different systems to communicate and the info would have to be converted between CAM and OBD? Any help her would be appreciated too.

Those are the last two pieces to the puzzle and I could sure use some assistance/ direction.
Any help on speed sensor, wiring info, or gages would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:29 PM

Have you checked out Camaro5.com? I bet they have more experience with the LFX.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereklburt View Post

Those are the last two pieces to the puzzle and I could sure use some assistance/ direction.
Any help on speed sensor, wiring info, or gages would be greatly appreciated!
I'm presently in the researching stage for on an LS V8 swap for my little pick-em-up truck. In looking around the interweb I've found some pretty good resources. Putting together a California smog-legal engine swap requires getting all of the sensors and warning lamps from the donor vehicle working properly in the recipient. These guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable WRT wiring harness' for LSx Swaps and ECUs:

Current Performance

and

LSX4U

Ron Schramm

'62 Seven S2
'77 S1 Esprit
'84 Turbo Esprit
'14 Evora

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 07:49 AM

Give me a call. I may know a guy that can help greatly.
248-977-8193
Also, I'd love to check out your build in person some time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:00 PM

VSS

You should be able to receive the VSS on/from the data bus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in