HOW MANY BLOWN ALTERNATORS??? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:24 PM

i blew my alt a few weeks ago.

not sure why, but i have placed new heat shielding around the new one....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:39 PM

Exarkun, Do you have pictures of the heat shield installed? I have to change my alternator soon and might try to do this. As I'm sure even the Spyder would benefit from having less heat.

Perry, I don't blame you for supporting your shop. I do all my own work so finding cheap parts is always a plus for me.
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:42 PM

Perry's car is downright RIDICULOUS...It's quite an experience....everything is multiplied by a 100 times....violent braking...violent acceleration...violent grip...but this car pretty damn harsh on a summer day in Livermore. It felt like you were sitting in a oven and I only drove it a couple miles....Perry is way more hardcore than I will ever be.

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:43 PM

ill post when im back from vacation.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:55 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DnCzv79WHRA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DnCzv79WHRA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Perry's car is downright RIDICULOUS...It's quite an experience....everything is multiplied by a 100 times....violent braking...violent acceleration...violent grip...but this car pretty damn harsh on a summer day in Livermore. It felt like you were sitting in a oven and I only drove it a couple miles....Perry is way more hardcore than I will ever be.
The car IS a bit difficult to drive on a VERY HOT day. The front radiator dumps plenty of "warmed" air into the cockpit. On a cool foggy day in the SF Bay Area(berkeley hills) it is surprisingly nice and cozy though..
Casey told me that when he saw the cop he hit the brakes hard and his eyeballs almost fell out onto his cheeks.
A few days ago I nailed it HARD to pass a couple of cars on the freeway approach(hadn't done it for a while driving it around town and on the freeway), It accelerated so violently that they were back about 1/4 of a mile before I could react.
The other thing is that you had better be pointed in the direction you want to go if you hit it hard otherwise you better start counter steering in anticipation of thing to come just before you hit the gas
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Casey, Nice video!
Is little that puff of smoke on acceleration OK??
I basically broke my car in at Infineon Raceway. It had about 600 miles on it when I took it to the track the first time.
I put Mobil1 0-40 in it as soon as I got back from that first event at Infineon. The car has always used quite a bit of oil. Probably a quart every 1,000 miles or so. Part of the problem is that it doeas have a stubborn oil leak at the RH front corner of the head but not enough to use that much oil. Do you think I should use higher viscosity Mobil1. I always used 0-40 since that is what my dealer puts in the p-cars(and yes I have to buy it like every one else)

Last edited by perryeyges; 08-11-2008 at 04:20 PM.
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Casey, do you have any way of measuring acceleration? I am curious what the car does the 0-60 sprint in??
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 PM

download the dynolicious application on your iphone...it's like 13 bucks and it is fairly accurate
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
download the dynolicious application on your iphone...it's like 13 bucks and it is fairly accurate
I have the original 8 gig i-phone. Will it work or do you have to get one of the new i-phones with navigation?
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:44 PM
OSX Black hat

yeah it works on the original iphone.

Black Exige S / Elan M100. Don't run a smaller pulley without an upgraded fuel pump! http://www.goth.am ecu stuff.. New reflash box coming soon!
post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex View Post
yeah it works on the original iphone.
OK, I'm in... I guess I need to go to the Apple store(I am useless when it comes to working with my phone on my Apple at home, can't figure it out).. I need a new phone case anyway..
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM
OSX Black hat

its in the itunes store if you have that on your mac/pc.

Black Exige S / Elan M100. Don't run a smaller pulley without an upgraded fuel pump! http://www.goth.am ecu stuff.. New reflash box coming soon!
post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks....
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Here is my fix for the Alternator failure issue. I am told that they seem to suffer from excesssive heat buildup in the Supercharged cars so I came up with this fix. Cold air is ducted from the right front wheel house to the alternator. I still need to install an inline fan assembly.
Attached Images

Last edited by perryeyges; 08-14-2008 at 11:37 AM.
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryeyges View Post
Here is my fix for the Alternator failure issue. I am told that they seem to suffer from excesssive heat buildup in the Supercharged cars so I came up with this fix. Cold air is ducted from the right front wheel house to the alternator. I still need to install an inline fan assembly.
How much does it weigh

I have never seen you add weight to your car.

It is a slippery slope...

When do the TVs go in to the back of the headrests

Providing an opportunity for others to live vicariously through me since 2004
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricko View Post
How much does it weigh

You know I hate to add weight but.... I also ordered an inline 175cfm fan to help get the flow going. It has a plastic housing though so it shouldn't be too bad. You know that when it arrives if it seems too heavy it won't go in the car....

Like the time I ordered xenons for the car.. When they arrived I just couldn't put them in since the ballasts were so darn heavy. A few years later the ballasts got WAY lighter so I installed a set but had to remove my highbeams to offset the added weight..
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricko View Post
How much does it weigh

PATRICO,
What does your royal 211 weigh??(in lbs) I love the 211 of course that is really why I did what I did to my car. Sort of a street legal 211.....
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 PM
OSX Black hat

perry, i can't see nor remember the layout of the alternator, the main failure is the internal regulator so you'd want to cool that off either with a giant heatsink or airflow, a giant heatsink with vanes and airflow would be the ticket.
i'd get some fancy copper block with heat pipes cpu heatsink from frys and use that, then its not so heavy.

post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex View Post
perry, i can't see nor remember the layout of the alternator, the main failure is the internal regulator so you'd want to cool that off either with a giant heatsink or airflow, a giant heatsink with vanes and airflow would be the ticket.
i'd get some fancy copper block with heat pipes cpu heatsink from frys and use that, then its not so heavy.
Is the regulator the little module attached to the back of it where the wiring connects??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in