Installed sportINSERTS! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Installed sportINSERTS! [lots of pics]

Installation
I put these in at the same time I added my Quarter Stick exhaust. The installation process was much easier than I thought. Just follow the instructions and all should go well. I will add though, that the directions never indicated that it would be helpful to put the grease on the outside of the mount as well as the inside. The mounts don't have a tapered design like the racemounts or trackmounts so there is more surface area to contact the bracket and thus more pressure when reinserting. Putting some of the included the grease on the outside will help you reinsert the mount more easily. I used the grease on the second mount and had a much easier time installing.

Performance
In a word, it feels great. There is no vibration at idle. The car does vibrate a little more below 2k but once past that there isn't any vibration. But the vibration is quickly going away, and I suspect will be diminished in another 100 miles or so. (less than 100 miles with inserts so far)
I have done lots and lots of WOT shifts from 1-2-3 with the new setup and I feel much more confident that I'm not going to miss any gears, namely from 2-3. (I don't have a LETSLA, or any kind of short shifter, just Stans shifter reinforcement.) I used to have to "wait" a bit for the engine to settle or make a very very smooth transition between gas, clutch, gearbox, clutch and gas again. Now I feel I can shift and go, no waiting, no feathering. The car feels like it should. There is also the added benefit of less stress on the exhaust system and less chance of snap oversteer. For $70 these are a must buy for everyone that owns an Elise, even if you don't track the car.

See my pics from the install below:

Last edited by jwb4bb; 06-22-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 06:34 AM

I installed a set about 2 months ago. My experience is pretty much the same except I definitely get vibration at idle and quite a bit of vibration as the clutch is slipping into 1st from a stop.

It's inconsistant though, sometimes its not very noticeable, sometimes you feel like you have blur-vision and everything that can vibrate and make noise is (rear clam, diffuser, rollbar cover, windows in the doors, etc).

My wife hates them

I'm undecided if the vibration is worth the trade off for an aggressively driven daily driver.

- Ian
05 StormTi Elise w/ 190,000 miles, 05 WRX STI, 91 GMC Syclone, 14 Scion FR-S
I build things like Howtune.com and EnvyRate.com
My how-to articles: https://howtune.com/uVq/iturgeon
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

I just give it a few more revs as I'm slipping the clutch and the whole thing seems to be over much quicker. As soon as you're moving its all over.

The benefits are more than performance with me. I like the fact that there is less stress on the exhaust system, less chance of snap oversteer, and no longer missing shifts at WOT.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 07:51 AM

A little rough at first...

I have also recently installed the Sportinserts.
At this time I also installed new OEM engine mounts.
My thought was these have been highly stressed over the past 4 years and it might be prudent to replace the original parts.

My initial impressions were not altogether positive.
I was wondering if I had made a poor decision by adding these to the car.
At idle there was initially a lot of added vibration.
Enough to make the door mirrors vibrate.

Above 1K RPM this seemed to diminish considerably.
Once at speed the additional vibration was also noticible but not overwhelming.

With added miles the vibration has diminished considerably. I have put a hundred or so miles of aggressive driving on the car since the instal.

I had previously added the LETSLA shift modifications to the car. The LETSLA system offered significant improvements to the shifting with no negative attributes whatsoever. An outstanding product!

The addition of the Sportinserts has helped to improve the shift quality and precision especially when driving aggressively.

I'm hoping additional mileage will help the Sportinserts "settle in" a bit more.

Alan

07 Exige S
Storm Titanium, Track Pack, Touring Pack, TC, LETSLA, RTD Brace, R 888, J. Clayton SS Shift Knob, Sport Inserts, Custom Carbon Wing End Plates.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 AM

Thumbs up 2.5+ years

and love them......I hated the vibration of the engine during hard engagement not to mention the ****ty shifting.......IMHO this car now behaves the way a sports car should and in keeping with the tradition of Mr. Chapman of feeling every bit of the car.......if I wanted smooth car I would have gone with a Quatroporte or DB9.........with any improvement is a give and take!

Overall I think in should have come from the factory as an option for these mounts!

[B]05 Lotus Elise REV400, Stage II, BWR TB, OBX header, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, Carbon Fiber Spliter, GRP Side Scoops, CF side skirts, , S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, Allitech, CF interior, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam, Light Flywheel, ATI pulley, 2010 Exige Cup mirrors
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:41 PM

I've had mine installed for a few months now and am pretty happy with them. Even with grease the aft mount was a bit difficult to get into place so I sanded/chamfered them a bit using a dremel with a sanding drum. After knocking down some of the edges, everything slid into place much easier.

Phantom Black 2007 Exige S
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:45 PM

Did you have a difficult time getting your torque wrench to fit to retorque the bolt on the front mount? I have the rear insert in, but am dreading having to put the front one in because I'm not sure I'll be able to get my torque wrench in there after installation to tighten the bolt to the correct spec.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:52 PM

I used a bit of olive oil on my Manly mounts to help get them in. I figure if it is begnine enough to eat it probably won't attack poly urethane.

Metrocube I know there is a torque spec for every fastener, but there are simply some that are nearly impossible to get a torque wrench on. Somtimes for these I just do my best to estimate .

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
Metrocube I know there is a torque spec for every fastener, but there are simply some that are nearly impossible to get a torque wrench on. Somtimes for these I just do my best to estimate .
This is what I ended up doing as well. I'm sure with the proper socket/extension/swivel/torque wrench combo it could be done, but I just estimated what it took for me to undo the bolt plus a little. When I do an oil change i'll check to make sure its still tight. Whats the worst that could happen?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Sport Inserts durometer value?

What is the durometer value for these bushings? 60A ?

"Well, that just goes to show you Andy..."
-- "What's that Floyd?"
"If you want good Lotus service, you gotta go to Mount Pilot"
2007 Exige S Chrome Orange
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:40 PM

I installed my front mount inserts earlier this evening. Yay. Now I have a sore spot on the back of my head from the concrete, and my muscles are tired from all the inchworm crawling underneath on my back. A lift would be nice. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb4bb View Post
I will add though, that the directions never indicated that it would be helpful to put the grease on the outside of the mount as well as the inside.
Yup. I saw how much surface area would have to rub up inside the bracket to get the bolt holes to align just right, and so I coated the outer surface so that my 90-lb weakling self could move the bracket.

In the end, I used a pair of closed needlenose pliers between the mount and the brakcet as a prybar to rotate the engine just that 1mm I needed to get the long bolt in. If I had a jack with taller max height, I could have have held the engine up in a spot that would have also given me the rotation I needed with the lifting action.

Oh well.

Instructions are wrong, btw: says 13mm wrench/socket for lower front mount. You actually need:
1/4" ratchet (nothing bigger will fit)
14mm socket for the two engine bolts
17mm socket (for the long bolt)

I suppose you could use a 17mm wrench to hold the nut in place for the bolt, but I didn't need one.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
What is the durometer value for these bushings? 60A ?
I am not sure on the duro. I don't think they are 60A though, I believe the track mounts sold by S111 are that hard, and these aren't as hard as those.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 04:42 PM

I did the redneck DIY urathane mod about 3 years ago, it is similar idea to this. They still holding up with my mostly street driving.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 04:13 AM
V EQLS IR

hey guys, sorry to bring up an old thread but since it's relevant it seemed like the right thing.

Just installed powerflex street inserts (70A) and have about 50 miles on them. The vibration between 1 and 2k resonates with my clam so much that it's actually embarrassing pulling out of my driveway, sounds like my car is broken. Driving around the city (0-35 range) is terrible, almost to the point where i don't even really want to drive it.

considering some people have said that they had "only a little noticeable vibration" directly after install, i have to think either somethings not right or our definitions of 'noticeable' are way off.

Couple of questions:
1) Everyone says these "settle down", so im going to keep them in for the whole tank of fuel and make a decision after that...but do they really settle down that much? Seems like they'd get forced into place pretty fast, but i'm not a materials engineer.

2) when installing them, the rear needed to be squished in pretty bad...wonder if this is adding to my problem? I have heard of people 'shaving' them down to get them in there...

2006 Mag Blue/Biscuit Elise, Touring+Sport
2015 BMW X1
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afex View Post
considering some people have said that they had "only a little noticeable vibration" directly after install, i have to think either somethings not right or our definitions of 'noticeable' are way off.
Yeah, my experience was a marked increase in vibration near idle. Until it settles down, you can give a touch extra gas while idling to bring your RPMs higher so that the car stops resonating.

Quote:
do they really settle down that much? Seems like they'd get forced into place pretty fast, but i'm not a materials engineer.
A couple things happen:
The mounts themselves seem to get more elastic, reducing the vibrations.
You get used to whatever extra vibration is left, because it's nowhere near as bad as it was when you first put them in.

Took about a month of driving.

P.S. - Your picture doesn't seem right. I used olive oil to get mine in, and they fit completely flush. Yours seems at an angle in. How did that happen?
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 10:05 AM
V EQLS IR

awesome, thanks for the input. i'll keep them rolling for a while and see how things go.

Quote:
P.S. - Your picture doesn't seem right. I used olive oil to get mine in, and they fit completely flush. Yours seems at an angle in. How did that happen?
i agree, i dont like how it looks, but even after greasing them up all over, this is how they sat. When they were on the bench, they would never go all the way in flush so I just assumed it was a super tight fit.

The stock rubber had some flakes/nubs left over from the molding process that i even removed with an x-acto before putting these in as well.

Do you have the powerflex ones?

2006 Mag Blue/Biscuit Elise, Touring+Sport
2015 BMW X1
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 12:47 PM

Mine looked similar, i actually stood on the mount to fully sandwich the inserts together, but once thy were installed they had a slight taper to em. It appears to be due to the tight tolerances between the insert and the side of the mount pinching together.
They have been working just fine for the past year. Make sure to recheck the torque after a few hundred miles, mine were fine but others have not been so lucky.

Aj

07 Exige Phantom Black
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocube View Post
The insert is unsupported. When the mount flexes, it pushes the insert out and without support, the insert will bulge.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 PM

Really seems like a hit or miss product. I think I'll try the DIY path instead.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 11:09 AM

Just to add my two cents on this (so we can have more information than not) - I installed mines yesterday and so far the positives outweigh the one negative - so far.

Took 4 hours to do - by myself taking my time from beginning to end. Only difficulty is the front mounts where the bolts are inclined at a negative angle that makes working without the right tools a bit difficult (this is where possibility of stripping the thread could occur). The two pair of mounts each came with it's own packet of grease so sliding it back into place was easy by hand for both front and rears.

Initial impression - Before the mounts, I can feel my engine rock back and fourth during shifting. Also I had to shift more careful to make sure there is engagement. But afterwards, I feel like the engine is mounted securely and straight onto the frame of the car.The car and the engine feels like one whole unit working together now instead of two separate parts working with each other. Now it doesn't just drive like a go-kart for the streets, but is feels like a go-kart for the streets (solid). Probably one my better investment mod for the car.

For the one negative - there is vibration/buzzing when idle and starting off under 1500 RPM, but for a non-daily driver/specialized vehicle - it's fine with me. Not harsh as I seen on other threads where I was a bit concern about the purchase.

My opinion - a must do mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in