intermittent start after engine swap - No spark.
OK so I installed a replacement engine in my Exige S after I grenaded mine. I went to start it today and it had no spark. I managed to get it to start a few times, but it wasn't reliable and I can't get it to start again now. Here is what I have tried.
1. Changed Cam Position sensor to the known good one from my old engine. Worked on first startup, came up to temp, turned it off and it wouldn't start again.
2. Removed and replaced cam position sensor, started again, ran for about a minute then died.
3. Tried #2 again with no luck.
4. re-verified that I had fuel and no spark
5. Changed Crank position sensor to old known good one.
Now when cranking it mostly just cranks and cranks, but occasionally when you try to start it it will sound like it is going to start for about 1 revolution then stop. You have to release the button and press it again to get it going. There are also loud bangs from the exhaust from time to time that I assume are unburnt fuel.
I have a code reader and most of the time there has been no codes. The only 2 that there have been are
After the first time I tried to crank it to get oil circulating it had a Rocker position error P2646 which never came back again, then after it died I had the throttle position errors. P0638 and 2108 which I have seen before on the car a few times and never meant anything. I cleared them and they never came back.
Not sure where to go from here, if I knew which pin on the ECU connector it was I would do a continuity check on the cam position sensor wire which is the most likely culprit? I know it is RC1 and RE2 from the wiring diagram, I don't understand how that relates to reality since there are no marks like that on the connectors.
Thanks for any help!
2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...