Letsa install notes - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Letsa install notes

I want to say at the beginning, that this is a nice looking piece of gear, well machined and it is now installed in my 07 Exige and does what it is intended, crisper shifts with a smaller pattern

However, there are some design elements which are just not well thought out and fairly easy to fix, so I am posting my suggestions here

First, there are aluminum tubes which I believe act to stiffen the cable ends. They are held on with hose clamps which prevents proper installation of the cable boot.

I drive my car in the rain, it gets dirty, this is not acceptable.

First pic is the stock setup

second is my parts, where I drilled and tapped for a 8-40 set screw. I dimpled the soft plastic cable sheath to give the setscrew a place to grip without excess tightening, and blue loctited them
Attached Images

Last edited by exigegus; 04-29-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Second, the cable bracket for the updated version comes with a tapered shim to set it at an advantageous angle. It does not however have a second shim or allowance for the bolt heads [which will remain square to the case] and the hex bolts will end up digging in at one point.

Not acceptable.

I spot faced them in the bridgeport to make a proper bearing for the bolt

A second shim would do the same, but honestly the part is CNC machined, it wold seem easier to redesign the part to make it right rather than make more parts
Attached Images

Last edited by exigegus; 04-29-2019 at 07:24 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Third, the instructions call for disassembling the mechanism and sliding it in place in two pieces. Then lowering a bolt down and threading it through the l shaped arm and a spacer and such

Now, there is more stuff in the way in a supercharged Exige, but this is a PITA.

Also the rod ends are bolted down from the top, the assembly top to bottom is 6mm SHC screw, rod end, spacer, nut, bell crank pivot arm, nyloc nut

I looked at it and saw no reason for this

I bought fully threaded 6mm SHC, threaded them from the bottom. reversed the assembly with the top being nyloc and rod end.

This way you can put the assembly in the car assembled, drop the rod end on the mechanism, then drop a nut on and tighten. In reality having a handful of 6mm nylocs is required, as you will drop several before you can get one started.

Now there is no need to disassemble the mechanism to removed the shifter cables, which is required to, for instance, drop the fuel tank.

I also reversed the assembly of the 8mm SHC pivot for the bell crank for the same reason, it can now be dis assembled in place if required, with no necessity of keeping a spacer on a bolt while blindly assembling. Instead a stud with the spacer on it stays there, and one can easily change the shift ratio with less cursing
Attached Images

Last edited by exigegus; 04-29-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in