MWR Elise V330 - 3.5L V6 330hp NA Elise - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 334 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:44 AM

any chance of this being CARB legal for cali owners if we add the cats back in?

05 graphite grey elige with zero mods.....sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 334 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:05 AM

^^^ You will need to wait for the Evora ECU to be available first.. And once it is, California smog legality won't be difficult at all. I've done a V6 swap in my MR2 and had it BAR/CARB-certified.. so it's definitely possible. In fact, I'd say that an Elise with Evora ECU would be even easier than what I did. Evap, electronics and everything else needed is more or less going to be compatible between the Elise and 2GRFE.. Unlike the MR2 where I was doing stuff like installing an OBD2 diag. port and running new wiring harnesses for evap systems.

The primary issues will be the added cost. First, of the ECU and second, tracking down factory Evora exhaust parts (unless they wind up like the Elise where people are installing complete aftermarket exhaust systems commonly, this is going to be hideously expensive also).
post #83 of 334 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:07 AM

*drool* This is outstanding. Absolutely outstanding. I wish I were in your playhouse, working on these cars, MWR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
It is the E153, the strongest transaxle in the known universe. This car has the MR2-T version with the shorter final drive and factory LSD. We will be running the Camry version with the longer gears and a Kaaz diff in our LSR Celica this year. Should do better than 235mph at 9k rpm if the car and driver are willing!
Which Camry version? The '97-'01 Camry V6 M/T version has the same ratios as the MR2 but a taller (3.9 if I'm not mistaken) final drive.. But the '92-'93 version (E53- Guts fit into E153 bellhousings/center cases) has a 3.6 final drive and shorter individual ratios.

I've used the latter in my MR2's V6 swap. With 245/40/17 rear tires, 70mph has the engine turning at about 2750rpm.

So there are three different final drives available as well as two different sets of individual ratios if you want to mix and match for ideal gear spacing and what not. My ideal:

1- 3.230 (MR2 E153)
2- 2.045 (Camry E53) [MR2 is 1.913]
3- 1.333 (Camry E53) [MR2 is 1.258]
4- 1.028 (Camry E53) [MR2 is 0.918]
5- 0.731 (MR2 E153)
F- 3.625 (Camry E53)

Reasoning:
1st: taller.. less wheel spin and more MPH!
2nd/3rd: Good spacing, lots of usable powerband
4th: ~160mph through the top of 4th if you rev to 8,000rpm.. and unlike the MR2 gearbox, it's a proper underdriven gear as opposed to an overdrive!
5th: Excellent highway gearing! 70mph comes down to 2500rpm, depending on tire size.

Pardon my assumptions if you've already thought of this. I just get excited about great engine swaps like this.. It's what I live for, in terms of my enthusiasm for all things car.

post #84 of 334 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

There is certainly some room for getting creative with the ratios. We're using factory sealed MR2-T transmissions in the Lotus and MR2-S swaps for now unless there are any special requests. It's a 97-01 Camry trans in our Land Speed Celica.
post #85 of 334 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Update:

I drove the car around all weekend. It is 100% civilized in driving/cruising situations. Even stuck in trafic with 85F weather and 90% humidity the coolant never got above 195F. And that is with a stock radiator which we're running for now to test its suitability for the V6. It seems fine on the street which is good news. We'll get it to the track soon to see how it does there.

No funny noises except for the oohs and aahs of the couple of Lotus fans who have noticed the V6 manifold peeking out of the engine bay.
post #86 of 334 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:59 AM

Did u record any video?
post #87 of 334 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

I'll get some video soon. Am trying to figure out an easy way to attach a camera to this car. Our other cars use a roll bar mount.
post #88 of 334 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 PM

dont listen to conor he has small hands and smells like cabbage
post #89 of 334 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 12:40 AM

TRD made a supercharger for this engine for the Australian Aurion. It was rated at 323HP with a non-intercooled TVS blower.
post #90 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrock View Post
TRD made a supercharger for this engine for the Australian Aurion. It was rated at 323HP with a non-intercooled TVS blower.
Available factory installed only and now discontinued unfortuantely.

We're looking at a couple of different options. Big power shouldn't be a problem.
post #91 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 10:42 PM

omg this is my NEW favorite thread. Goodbye housing downpayment savings...

I guess my future wife better have a good savings because I sure won't anymore

2011 WRX - Protuned 328 WHP / 344 TQ on Mustang Dyno

[sold] 06 Exige Phantom Black - Track/touring pack w/ LSD, BWR Supercharger, Volk CE28N matte black wheels, yellow calipers, green filter, Larini SS Exhaust, BOE Surge Tank, CF MotorSports Spoiler, custom splitter, difflow 5 element diffuser

Last edited by stea1thviper; 07-02-2010 at 11:09 PM.
post #92 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:16 PM

Garage
I'd be very curious about a kit, as my brother has a shop and loves to do these sorts of things, and I'm sure he'd love to put something like this into my car. We are both rather mechanically inclined (we've both built our own cars) so even a kit that was slightly less than bolt-on would be cool. And frankly it would save me the cost of paying someone else to install it.

2009 Gray and Carbon Audi R8 4.2 MT Stasis Challenge Extreme
2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #93 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

I took the car out to a track/autocross event last weekend. We haven't even done an alignment on this car yet, much less the suspension and tire upgrades it needs to get around a track really fast. There is clearly some room for improvement in the chassis setup area- those tiny 6-year old stock tires and stock suspension had their work cut out for them

The engine and transmission worked great. Shifting the big E153 is such a night and day improvement over the little C-series 6-spd. The engine supplied enough power to spin the stock tires coming out of 3rd gear corners. I need to work on my throttle modulation which was fortunately pretty easy to get used to with the quick NA throttle response. It never got over 196F even sitting for a few minutes after a couple of consecutive runs. The power on track was awesome and I'll admit the car's abilities far exceed my driving abilities for now. I'm going to work on an alignment, bleed the brakes again, and maybe some better tires and get back out there soon. I swear I'll get a video camera put in by then.
post #94 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Garage
I was just talking to my brother about this today, and the first thing he asked was whether or not we could put a blower on it Even in "stock" form though it sounds like it would be great. Looking forward to hearing final pricing and whether or not you can produce a kit for it.

2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #95 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 AM

I've been on this forum for a long time and I have seen a lot. I see a lot of the people excited about this post are relatively new. I just hope everyone does their homework on this one...

2005 SY-REV310 Supercharger, clam hinge, 2bular 8" single tip exhaust, 2bular header, Ohlin Double Adjustables, RTDbrace, Custom Kirkey 58 Series seats, Schroth 6 pt. harnesses, Multivex mirrors, Race battery, Micromirror, HID's, V2arms, Sparco removeable steering wheel, Volk CE28N's with Hoosier R7's, Pagid RS 14 pads, Cup airbox, catch cans, Ultradiscs, gPan, splitter, canards, Reverie wing, 6 element diffuser, proRad
post #96 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 10:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chotto View Post
I've been on this forum for a long time and I have seen a lot. I see a lot of the people excited about this post are relatively new. I just hope everyone does their homework on this one...
As should anyone who wants to modify their car...

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #97 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 11:38 AM

If porsche can coax 450 hp from their GT3 RS, 435HP from the GT3, 385 from carrera s, and 345 from the base carrera then why not keep the 3.5L Toyota motor NA. Forget the FI and focus on power the was Porsche has for its track oriented cars like the GT3. How much power do you really need in a sub 2000lb car?

-Robert

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #98 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronosWS View Post
I was just talking to my brother about this today, and the first thing he asked was whether or not we could put a blower on it Even in "stock" form though it sounds like it would be great. Looking forward to hearing final pricing and whether or not you can produce a kit for it.
The plan now is to further refine our test car, mostly testing a couple of other engine management options, and do a few installs in-house. That will allow us to fully document the install and make some changes that will simplify the installation. If there seems to be demand for a kit at that point we will work to make it available.

We've got a couple of customers already lined up tentatively for installs at the end of the season. The install price varies depending on options like gauges, oil coolers, electronics, etc but the quotes I've done so far have all been under $20k including install and dyno test. It's hard to put together a standard price because everyone whants something a little different.

We've had a couple of people inquire about forced induction options but nobody serious yet. One guy was pretty sure he'd need a supercharger but a ride in the yellow car changed his mind
post #99 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
We've had a couple of people inquire about forced induction options but nobody serious yet. One guy was pretty sure he'd need a supercharger but a ride in the yellow car changed his mind
That doesn't surprise me actually. An Exige in stock form is already a heck of a lot of fun, and the low end torque increase alone would make it nearly perfect. I look forward to being able to test drive that beast

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #100 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 01:25 PM

wow...utterly fantastic. I test drove an Evora a while back and even in the 3100 lb Evora the V6 seemed very eager. Sounds like I need to plan a trip to Detroit to at least SEE this thing. Great job guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in