MWR Elise V330 - 3.5L V6 330hp NA Elise - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 02:42 AM

Worth pointing out that the LF-A's 4.8L 550 V10 9.5k rpm monster is actually smaller in ever way to the 3.5l V6...

How amazing would that be (if ludicrously expensive)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

The V10 is pretty compact but I'll bet it's a bit longer than the V6 and length is the critical dimension for this swap. I'm sure it doesn't bolt up to a transverse transaxle either. Some info here:

Lexus LFA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They do claim it's lighter than the 2GR which is amazing since the 2GR is relatively light to start with. It's not all full of titanium and unicorn horns though.

I'm not sure we'll hit 550hp or 9k any time soon with the NA 2GR but we'll be moving up from where we are. Still plenty of room for improvement.
post #103 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads_green View Post
Worth pointing out that the LF-A's 4.8L 550 V10 9.5k rpm monster is actually smaller in ever way to the 3.5l V6...

How amazing would that be (if ludicrously expensive)
I thought the same thing awhile back when i first heard about how light the LFA's V10 was.

-White Rossion Q1

07 white Exige S--Sold
04' Lexus Turbo IS300 BSM "track car"
--SOLD

"Straight lines dont mean sh**"

post #104 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
Update:

No funny noises except for the oohs and aahs of the couple of Lotus fans who have noticed the V6 manifold peeking out of the engine bay.
I haven't seen a 2011 in person but the lid looks like it has more clearance.
Attached Images

Ardent Red 2005
Delivered 12/04/04 #742 Auto Europe
post #105 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISN View Post
I haven't seen a 2011 in person but the lid looks like it has more clearance.
Looks a little higher overall but unfortunately still pretty low in spots. We're working on a eraplcement lid that should add a mean look to the back end of the car.
post #106 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:48 PM

How long before there is a DIY kit? I am thinking about parting out my FF275 Kit/Engine, but it is deff. something I want to install myself. I learned a lot from purchasing a pre-built vehicle(won't do it again.)

2006 Lotus Exige - Soon to be Honda powered
1999 M3 - Will get an LS1 when the lotus is done
post #107 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 PM

price

you guys have been batting around with the kit forawhile so what price range we are looking at for the conversion.......and what will be included

[B]05 Lotus Elise REV400, Stage II, BWR TB, OBX header, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, Carbon Fiber Spliter, GRP Side Scoops, CF side skirts, , S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, Allitech, CF interior, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam, Light Flywheel, ATI pulley, 2010 Exige Cup mirrors
post #108 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
There is clearly some room for improvement in the chassis setup area- those tiny 6-year old stock tires and stock suspension had their work cut out for them
Probably with 6 year old tyres you're able to spin even with 50 hp engine.

Great transplant.

WWW.111R.ORG

2004 Lotus SY 111R Elise VF II
post #109 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. The suspension and wheel/tire upgrades are in the works and will be on the car in August. We'll be using this and our SC car to prove out a new Ohlins package that we've been working on.

As for cost, I've quoted packages for a few people now, most are planning on conversions during thre fall/winter downtime. Depending on options like aftermarket dash, gauges, clutches, oil coolers, LSDs, shifters, etc totals have been anywhere from $16-22k. That's installed, tuned, out the door. Once we've done a couple of customer cars and have standardized a package we'll get that posted as a guideline but will still allow for customization. It's a pretty radical swap so everyone is going to have their own wants and needs and that's fine by us.

A shippable kit will also be waiting until a couple more customer cars. Need to check clearance to the Exige clam, revise and simplify the wiring, etc. There has been some real interest in this option so believe me we want to make it happen.
post #110 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Garage
Can't wait to hear customer impressions of the conversion.

2009 Gray and Carbon Audi R8 4.2 MT Stasis Challenge Extreme
2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #111 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronosWS View Post
Can't wait to hear customer impressions of the conversion.
+1
post #112 of 334 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 06:05 PM

Just food for thought since nobody has brought this up yet. As I understand it, a powerplant with this sort of torque would make a 5 lug wheel conversion highly reccomended if the driver was planning on testing its capabilities with any sort of regularity. From what I've read, it's certainly not necessary, but a prudent decision for sure...

2011 WRX - Protuned 328 WHP / 344 TQ on Mustang Dyno

[sold] 06 Exige Phantom Black - Track/touring pack w/ LSD, BWR Supercharger, Volk CE28N matte black wheels, yellow calipers, green filter, Larini SS Exhaust, BOE Surge Tank, CF MotorSports Spoiler, custom splitter, difflow 5 element diffuser
post #113 of 334 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stea1thviper View Post
Just food for thought since nobody has brought this up yet. As I understand it, a powerplant with this sort of torque would make a 5 lug wheel conversion highly reccomended if the driver was planning on testing its capabilities with any sort of regularity. From what I've read, it's certainly not necessary, but a prudent decision for sure...
That is actually a very good though!! You would run the risk of shearing off the lugs with to much power, and a lot of abuse!

So is there a 5 lug conversion for us that I don't know about, or will it have to be custom.
post #114 of 334 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:46 PM

I don't see why a 5 lug would be needed... I run 4 lug on slicks with 400lb ft+ of torque. There are 5 lug hubs easily available in the UK but they are slightly heavier.
post #115 of 334 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I don't see why a 5 lug would be needed... I run 4 lug on slicks with 400lb ft+ of torque. There are 5 lug hubs easily available in the UK but they are slightly heavier.
It's not so much that 4 lugs cannot handle the torque. It's the safety margin you are encroaching on. You personally may not have ever had issues with your 400 lb ft+ and 4 lug setup, but you are just one case of a large sample size, and there are plenty of documented cases where 4 lugs have failed with less torque application.

2011 WRX - Protuned 328 WHP / 344 TQ on Mustang Dyno

[sold] 06 Exige Phantom Black - Track/touring pack w/ LSD, BWR Supercharger, Volk CE28N matte black wheels, yellow calipers, green filter, Larini SS Exhaust, BOE Surge Tank, CF MotorSports Spoiler, custom splitter, difflow 5 element diffuser
post #116 of 334 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 AM

Garage
I have a sort of general question on engine swaps (applies to people who have done the K20 swap as well.) I imagine most of you do your own service in these cases, but does anyone have any experience with having a third party do maintenance with an engine-swapped car? If so, what do you look for in a shop which would do this? Do you go to a dedicated race shop? Find a dealer who knows your car but doesn't mind the science experiment?

2009 Gray and Carbon Audi R8 4.2 MT Stasis Challenge Extreme
2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #117 of 334 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 PM
xtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stea1thviper View Post
...there are plenty of documented cases where 4 lugs have failed with less torque application.
I'm sure there are plenty of cases where 5 lugs have failed too.

If you have properly selected lugs installed properly, and have the wheels mounted properly and check torque regularly, there should not be any lug failures. When installed and maintained correctly, the lug bolts are not carrying any of the torque loading.

xtn

2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
post #118 of 334 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

4/5 lug: I've seen 4-lug Hondas, Miatas, MR2-S, etc running around for years with far more than our V6's power without problems. Tire grip and lateral acceleration are considerations as well but I really don't think the Elise/Exige, with its light weight, will run anywhere near the limits of the 4-lug system. I do replace the lug bolts with studs/nuts on our cars for some additional strength and reliability.

For service, nothing special will be required. It's easy to get to the spark plugs (which are supposed to be good for 100k miles) and it uses a standard Toyota oil filter. The air intake we're using uses a washable filter. The belt is a standard size and length. It's a common Lotus/Toyota engine so even parts like thermostat, water pump, etc are very easy to get.
post #119 of 334 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 PM

What kind of mileage (city/highway) have you seen so far?
post #120 of 334 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:29 AM

I can't wait to see a package deal for us people that can do this ourself, and what the price will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in