My AliTech shifter impressions. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Butters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

My AliTech shifter impressions.

Hey guys,

Been running the AliTech shifter in my Exige for a while now. It's great! Install was not complicated with the instructions but it was just many steps. I had also purchased the Honda gearbox cable brackets but have not installed that kit yet. Shifter is already so awesome without it, though.

Bit of an update since I shot the second video. I show how the stock seat hits the shifter. I'm a short 5' 5" so unless you are as short as I am it won't be an issue for you. If you are, though... well, I'm sorry. But the point is that I drive with the seat set just one click away from the seat hitting the shifter housing. It's all good! Like I say in the video, there IS a TINY bit of play with the shifter housing side-to-side but that is SUCH a nitpick --- if you opted to install with the additional forward, side mount I'm sure it would take that remaining TINY bit of play out of it.

MotoGeek likes this.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 12:27 PM

Mine has the forward side mount and still has the side to side movement. I think it's the nature of the housing given the height of it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 01:09 PM

Thank you for shooting your video in landscape mode like a proper human being. Anyone filming in portrait mode should be drawn and quartered.

Quality review. I envy its precise action. For 2ZZ applications, getting into reverse hopefully isn't that problematic.
The mismatching button hole issue looks annoying but doesn't look too hard to work around it as you can just buy a carbon fiber sheet easily online and trim it to fit.

I'm bummed out that LHD cars are having clearance issues even with stock seats, though. I've heard it's even less compatible with aftermarket seats.
It looks like could've been easily avoided during design phase. I wonder if it was a decision based on market research, like if there are more RHD cars than LHD cars or based on target market. Or if it was designed that way because it was 'good enough'.
I was hesitant on ordering it because I have Reverie XC seat that has a very high thigh bolster. And, I also like to pull my seat up forward because I like having my steering wheel close for more control.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmeupscotty View Post
Thank you for shooting your video in landscape mode like a proper human being. Anyone filming in portrait mode should be drawn and quartered.

Quality review. I envy its precise action. For 2ZZ applications, getting into reverse hopefully isn't that problematic.
The mismatching button hole issue looks annoying but doesn't look too hard to work around it as you can just buy a carbon fiber sheet easily online and trim it to fit.

I'm bummed out that LHD cars are having clearance issues even with stock seats, though. I've heard it's even less compatible with aftermarket seats.
It looks like could've been easily avoided during design phase. I wonder if it was a decision based on market research, like if there are more RHD cars than LHD cars or based on target market. Or if it was designed that way because it was 'good enough'.
I was hesitant on ordering it because I have Reverie XC seat that has a very high thigh bolster. And, I also like to pull my seat up forward because I like having my steering wheel close for more control.
The carbon switch panel is easily remedied. I'd need to find a collar for the traction control switch. And I'd need to file the other hole for the central door lock. Lotus apparently used a few different sized connectors and buttons over the model years so AliTech was only designing for whatever they had access to probably....

As far as the clearance for seat, it was originally designed for RHD cars. I gotta believe this is true because if you look at the shifter housing, the cage protrudes LESS on the right-hand side, thereby providing much more clearance for the seat in a RHD car to slide forward. Still though, like I said in the video, unless you are really short like I am you won't have an issue since you won't be getting your seat anywhere near how far forward I have it.

I wouldn't worry about selecting reverse on the Toyota box since reverse is towards us, to the left past 1st gear. You will be pulling the lever toward you instead of pushing away so it'll be much easier. (Because we're using our pectorals and biceps, big muscles as opposed to our delts.)

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.

Last edited by Butters; 06-17-2016 at 02:08 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 03:36 PM

OP, im interested on this shifter and wondering if this will be an issue with my seats. I have the CORBEAU seats with high side bolters. When you have a chance can you pls measure the widest and highest part in between seats. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Yes you, Peewee.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn View Post
OP, im interested on this shifter and wondering if this will be an issue with my seats. I have the CORBEAU seats with high side bolters. When you have a chance can you pls measure the widest and highest part in between seats. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
popcorn,

I will try and do that when I get a chance to work on my car next. I am currently swamped with work until the 11th. Check back in with me after that date as a reminder.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 08:47 PM

Ok thanks.

Yes you, Peewee.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 08:45 AM

Question for anyone who has installed this or other shifters. (I have installed the Alitech.) The two little plastic black sleeves that ride over the shifter cables seem to serve no purpose in this install. See accompanying picture (but don't pay attention to the blue circles - look further away from shifter to the black sleeves.) They are loose and rattle around but they don't slide off the cable. Can these be removed even if cut off without changing the functionality?
Thanks!!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in