Popped out of third gear - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Popped out of third gear

Had an odd experience with my '06 Elise, steady state driving in third gear, and the car popped out of gear. I put it back in gear and everything seemed fine. Tried a few hard accelerations and it only popped out once. Any suggestions for what's going on? I assume the issue is a worn synchro but it makes me wonder if there is a chance this is a shifter adjustment?

Any input would be helpful, thanks.

2006 Elise with BOE 400 supercharger and some aero mods, CRF floating oversized rotors, MCS single adjust coil overs, CRF exhaust, CRF sway bar w/adjustable link, mono-ball pivots, machined steer arms, baffled oil pan, CRF titanium toe link brace, hardened motor mounts, Ethos wheels w/Yoko slicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Sold my Exige S

REV400 with stock gears? It probably is the synchro then, especially knowing how much abuse 3rd gear sees. Fastest way to find out is to drain the transmission fluid and check for metal bits with a magnet.

Others here have said to adjust the shift cables, look for excessive cable play, or simply top off the transmission fluid. Honestly though, I'd expect more than one gear to be giving you grief if it were any of those.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Addict

Garage
I'm not sure popping out of gear would be a synchro, the synchro helps match gear speed with RPMs, as far as I know it does not help the gear actually stay engaged. I would first look at cables, slop in the shifter assembly, adjustments on the transmission linkage and play in the motor mounts. Could also be a warn 3rd gear as +TSRAGR says

Edit: With a little reading on the subject, it does seem worn synchros can lead to gears not staying engaged. I would expect it to also grind some when shifting but maybe not.

Last edited by LostPawn; 08-08-2017 at 02:10 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 02:04 PM

Garage
Yep. Third takes a real beating and the brave little stock trans gives up there first. I have one in the basement.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Elise Guru

It is likely the 3rd gear dog ring and the selector ring. The synchro gets worn, it doesn't effectively match the speed and then the wear happens on the teeth in the dog ring and the selector ring. If anyone ever has trouble with grinding gears or reluctance to go in gear, address it quickly. the synchro is quite cheap.....

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I have only 200 miles on the car with the BOE400, nothing on the track so I'm not sure if that is the cause of the problem. That being said, I have beat the car pretty hard with a Katana before the BOE400 so it could have been more than a little compromised. I have a trans build with an OS Giken LSD and Blackwatch 3/4 gears going to happen, I was hoping to get through 1 or 2 track days before I HAVE to do the rebuild. Fred, your assessment matches my experience, it feels like the dogs are not 100% engaged so they can just pop out of gear, seems worse with less load. I will try and adjust the shift cable to see if it's sloppy to get through at least my track day next week.

2006 Elise with BOE 400 supercharger and some aero mods, CRF floating oversized rotors, MCS single adjust coil overs, CRF exhaust, CRF sway bar w/adjustable link, mono-ball pivots, machined steer arms, baffled oil pan, CRF titanium toe link brace, hardened motor mounts, Ethos wheels w/Yoko slicks
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

I was able to tighten the shift cable about 2 mm, all I could get out of the inside rod-end, I was too lazy to drop the under tray. The good news is it seems to have corrected the problem for the time being, I'm on the track on Friday so I will see if the adjustment holds or I'm dropping the trans soon.

Thanks for the input.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Life has been busy since the last post. Follow up to say the transmission worked fine for the first 2 sessions of the day, solid smooth shifts, never popped out of gear. Toward the end of the 3rd session it did the pop out of gear thing once or twice then 3rd gear was just gone. I can shift into gear and nothing hooks up...I blew up something but good.

I'm doing a C60 rebuild right now, new bearings, syncros and BWR 3/4th gears as well as OS Giken 1-way LSD with the plan to be back on the track on Sunday to shake things down. Fingers crossed...

After much searching I found and online manual for the C60 transmission:

Index of /car/Toyota/celica/repair information/repair manual/16 - Manual Transaxle (C60)

Seems like this is a good resource and others might find it helpful.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Sold my Exige S

Thanks for the update. At least you got every bit out of that transmission.

Let us know what you find when you get it apart.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 01:13 PM

You really should look at BWR's gear set for the C60. It will make your motor perform even better because of better RPM matching. It will also take the abuse that you are going to be causing with the extra HP.

Take care,
Eldon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in