Project Car: Exige + Honda K24A2 + MPx90 Supercharger - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Yes, sir. Please do post up some pics!

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstevens View Post
To correct both of you: The stock ECU uses a wideband, plus you can input an aftermarket wideband for tuning if you desire.
You are correct, and so the build becomes that much simpler.

VFII, Eliseparts Sequential, Geartronics Paddle shift.
You name it, I've probably got that installed too...
1864lbs, full tank
Otherwise, it's bone stock....
post #63 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 06:45 AM
Inactive

If you can find a RSX or EP3 Civic then you can swap in the ECU and test in another vehicle to eliminate the ECU as the problem.
Otherwise you need to check all the grounds are exactly the same as a stock RSX and in good condition. The only extra ground I like to add is to extend the body -> engine mount ground to the include the cylinder head as well. You also should have tested current flows between battery negative and ecu, engine, sensors etc with the engine running.

2005 Elise with Honda engine
Please don't PM me - this forum is no longer usable and I do not monitor it.
It was fun while it lasted.

post #64 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, dstevens.

The project is getting so close to completion. I'm trying not to get too excited --- who knows what kind of curve balls we'll encounter in the next few weeks...

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
post #65 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Indicators. As I will be using the AIM MXL dash in place of the stock one, we needed a way to indicate turn signals and high beams. There are of course other things that would need to be indicated but this is a start. Could've assigned the idiot lights to the Alarm Diodes on the AIM but since the only way of know what they are would be to either label them or memorize them, we decided that's probably not the best way.

Here is the turn signal and high beam solution that our buddy Glen (soon to be fellow Lotus owner, actually) cooked up. It is recessed into the binnacle and shines on both sides of the dash. Recessed lighting makes everything better....

post #66 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Left Motor Mount. So after we situated the engine, we realized that we need a bit more room for the boost tubing to clear the chassis. So we ended up shimming the left motor mount up. We made a shim out of aluminum.

post #67 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Radiator Hoses. The stock Lotus routing actually comes very very close to working right out of the gate with the K24. Here, you can see we cut off the very end of the hose and reconnected it back to itself with a tube from apex's Elise that he just had laying around. OEM, baby!

post #68 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Here is the left side of the engine bay pretty much all buttoned up.

For the throttle cable, we ended up routing straight back through the cabin where the shift cables go. Then it snakes upward by the boost tubes. The bracket for the Skunk2 throttle body will have to be modified to make it work with this routing, but this will make the throttle cable bends less. You can kind of see it in that last pic.

Here is the intercooler all socked in!

post #69 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Wiring. Oh boy. Fun stuff. Here we are messing around with the dash and turn signal wiring. If anyone wants an AFX wideband O2 sensor I might be selling mine since I won't need it anymore.

Routing everything to the back.

post #70 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Looks like the ECU flash upload is working and we have got communication between the the Hondata and the AIM dash. Curiously, the AFR's aren't showing up on the dash....

Will likely be attempting a start-up this Saturday! w00t!

post #71 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Here is the throttle cable bracket that apex fabbed up real quick. The one that came with the Skunk2 throttle body wasn't going to work for us since it pointed the cable upwards (we're coming from below). Looks nice.

And here is the air box in situ.

post #72 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Inactive

You are running air-air on a supercharger? What is the volume between the throttle and intake manifold? (I know Lotus does this, but it seems a recipe for part throttle lag).

2005 Elise with Honda engine
Please don't PM me - this forum is no longer usable and I do not monitor it.
It was fun while it lasted.
post #73 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstevens View Post
You are running air-air on a supercharger? What is the volume between the throttle and intake manifold? (I know Lotus does this, but it seems a recipe for part throttle lag).
Yes, and It's freaking huge... but it'll give butters a chance to firmly plant himself in the seat...

I can take no credit, good or bad for the IC engineering.

VFII, Eliseparts Sequential, Geartronics Paddle shift.
You name it, I've probably got that installed too...
1864lbs, full tank
Otherwise, it's bone stock....
post #74 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Yesterday was set to be a big day. We had dyno time scheduled and were going to get the car tuned. Unfortunately, the Hondata ECU ended up crapping out on us. Not sure if it was the Honda ECU or the Hondata daughter board that went bad. When the ECU was opened up, there was a wire that had somehow become disconnected. Resoldered it back on and the thing refused to light up.

SIGH.

Now we gotta send it back to Hondata for diagnostics. All I gotta say is if the Hondata board fried the Honda ECU, I'm gonna be so pissed. Because I'm sure Honda warranty doesn't cover damage from essentially jail breaking the ECU and I'm sure Hondata won't buy me another ECU either.

And the project goes on....

post #75 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Put the car back together for the most part. All it needs now is a working and tuned ECU. Car is at the tuner now and it's in their hands to get the thing fired up and breathing. Matter of time I guess. A few outstanding issues:

- discovered that my hard top hardware is missing, need to procure a replacement set

- my Chimera C.B.S. ($900 carbon fiber lithium battery) sh it the bed. Need new battery now, preferably something comparable in weight and capacity.

- shifting into 5th and 6th feels extremely vague. Anyone who has done the swap know how to fix this? On the honda box, Reverse is all the way to the right and down (on the toyota unit it was all the way to the left and up). And the honda unit doesnt work with the lockout ring so 5th, 6th, and Reverse are all kinda mushed together with no definable gating. As well, the shifter doesn't spring back to center when returning from the right side of the shift pattern.

Last edited by Butters; 02-12-2014 at 12:56 PM.
post #76 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 12:54 PM
6i9

Wow sucks about the Chimera! Isn't there a lifetime warranty or something on it that they advertised to help justify the ridiculous price?

As for the shifting, I'm not sure what you mean about the Toyota 6th being left and up? You mean reverse dont you? As for 5th and 6th, my shift linkage provides a discernible gate between 5th/6th and Reverse (all the way mashed right). Have you checked adjusting the linkage? Are the other gears/gates tight? Any slack in the shift cables? Not returning to center seems to indicate the linkage or the crossgate cable have an issue

FWIW, my original stock cables that were reused snapped a few months after my swap and I got beefier SSC cables and shifter base reinforcement replacements. Those or S111 transcables might be worth investigating. Also make sure to really tighten down the shift linkage bolts, as I had mine come loose during a track day and i couldnt get into any gears without nasty grinds (shift linkage wasnt fully engaging the selector fork in the trans) I could almost stir the shift knob like it was a spoon in a pot and it would flop back and forth with no resistance. Kind of funny actually

2005 Magnetic Blue Lotus Exige
Drivetrain: Honda K20A Type R | Innovative Kit | Arqray Ti | SCM Intake/Header | Hondata | proRAD | Setrab | KTuned | V2 Fuel Tank | BOE Swirl
Aero: Exige Clams | Reverie | TWRD GT | Craftsquare | IMRP | BSK | Voltex
Suspension: Penske SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE Floating | Pagid RS14
Interior: Recaro SPG | Willans | WorksBell | Sparco
post #77 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6i9 View Post
Wow sucks about the Chimera! Isn't there a lifetime warranty or something on it that they advertised to help justify the ridiculous price?

As for the shifting, I'm not sure what you mean about the Toyota 6th being left and up? You mean reverse dont you? As for 5th and 6th, my shift linkage provides a discernible gate between 5th/6th and Reverse (all the way mashed right). Have you checked adjusting the linkage? Are the other gears/gates tight? Any slack in the shift cables? Not returning to center seems to indicate the linkage or the crossgate cable have an issue

FWIW, my original stock cables that were reused snapped a few months after my swap and I got beefier SSC cables and shifter base reinforcement replacements. Those or S111 transcables might be worth investigating. Also make sure to really tighten down the shift linkage bolts, as I had mine come loose during a track day and i couldnt get into any gears without nasty grinds (shift linkage wasnt fully engaging the selector fork in the trans)
Reverse, I meant reverse! Sorry, I should've proofed the post. Yeah, reverse is what I meant. Since there is no lockout with the honda tranny, shifting from 4th to 5th is an affair that has to be done carefully. And going from 5th to 6th requires care as well to avoid grinding against the reverse gear.

As for the Chimera, they came with a three year warranty. But the company didn't even last that long. So the warranty is next-to-worthless. To be fair, I've contacted Thomasio and he's trying to honor it but as far as I know some bridges were burned so getting replacement cells/parts is difficult and possibly impossible. I may just have to write that $900+ off. Either way, he's going to get back to me but it may be a few weeks --- which doesn't really help as I need a battery asap and would rather just know what my final solution is going to be so I can keep the money hemorrhaging to a minimum.

I should rename this thread, "Project Car Hell".

Last edited by Butters; 02-12-2014 at 01:06 PM.
post #78 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 01:29 PM

I've had good luck so far with my Lithium-Iron (LiFePO4) "Scorpion Stinger" battery. : SSTX20HQ-FP.
post #79 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 02:28 PM
6i9

Hmm I havent had any troubles with 5 to 6 shifts, despite the lack of a lockout. Reverse is a good 2 inches or so over to the right of 6th.

If I remember I'll try to make a quick video of my shift pattern.

2005 Magnetic Blue Lotus Exige
Drivetrain: Honda K20A Type R | Innovative Kit | Arqray Ti | SCM Intake/Header | Hondata | proRAD | Setrab | KTuned | V2 Fuel Tank | BOE Swirl
Aero: Exige Clams | Reverie | TWRD GT | Craftsquare | IMRP | BSK | Voltex
Suspension: Penske SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE Floating | Pagid RS14
Interior: Recaro SPG | Willans | WorksBell | Sparco
post #80 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about it some more, I think my concern is more with 4th to 5th. You can't just pop it out of 4th, push all the way to the right and up. You have to be cafeful how much you push to the right, if you go too far it won't go up into 5th...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in