Project Car: Exige + Honda K24A2 + MPx90 Supercharger - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 02:34 PM

Thats with the si tranny right?

06 OCM elise r.i.p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Correct.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #83 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 02:42 PM
6i9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Thinking about it some more, I think my concern is more with 4th to 5th. You can't just pop it out of 4th, push all the way to the right and up. You have to be cafeful how much you push to the right, if you go too far it won't go up into 5th...
I guess, but that's sort of the same issue on any manual car, even the old Toyota pattern, no? I guess it takes a little to get used to not having a "gate wall" to guide the lever to 5th, but really a gentle diagonal motion will get it into 5th rather than 3rd.

Anyway, it's probably best to look after the fragile synchros by making deliberate shifts rather than power shifting and smashing the next gear.

Good luck getting the car running, sounds like itll be a beast

2005 Magnetic Blue Lotus Exige
Drivetrain: Honda K20A Type R | Innovative Kit | Arqray Ti | SCM Intake/Header | Hondata | proRAD | Setrab | KTuned | V2 Fuel Tank | BOE Swirl
Aero: Exige Clams | Reverie | TWRD GT | Craftsquare | IMRP | BSK | Voltex
Suspension: Penske SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE Floating | Pagid RS14
Interior: Recaro SPG | Willans | WorksBell | Sparco

post #84 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6i9 View Post
I guess, but that's sort of the same issue on any manual car, even the old Toyota pattern, no? I guess it takes a little to get used to not having a "gate wall" to guide the lever to 5th, but really a gentle diagonal motion will get it into 5th rather than 3rd.

Anyway, it's probably best to look after the fragile synchros by making deliberate shifts rather than power shifting and smashing the next gear.

Good luck getting the car running, sounds like itll be a beast
Hmm. I am not sure I feel the same way. When I am shifting my Miata, going from 4th to 5th there is a very clear stop, only so far I can move the lever to the right and then I can push it upwards into 5th. But on the Exige now there is nothing that stops the lever from going too far to the right. So there is no way to shift it into 5th by feel.

I can take a video later to show what I'm talking about.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
post #85 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 03:33 PM
6i9

I wonder if RSX owners have the same issue? Or is it because our cars go through a shift linkage/cables rather than directly to the selector fork that there's this vagueness you describe? I think the way Hondas shift is that they push down and to the right to get into the gate for reverse. Without that deliberate push the reverse pathway is blocked.

Maybe if you modified the linkage to incoporate the ring lift lockout it would suit your driving style? Not sure how you would go about that though.

Drivetrain: Honda K20A Type R | Innovative Kit | Arqray Ti | SCM Intake/Header | Hondata | proRAD | Setrab | KTuned | V2 Fuel Tank | BOE Swirl
Suspension: Penske SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE Floating | Pagid RS14
post #86 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE. Just heard back from Hondata about the fate of my ECU and Kpro. Looks like the ECU was fine, it was just a defective Kpro. So it's on its way back right now. Should be here by the end of the week. As luck would have it, the tuner is not available until Wednesdy.

Bah, it's already been a year since the project started. What's another two weeks?

Last edited by Butters; 03-08-2014 at 05:38 PM.
post #87 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 PM
Inactive

Why don't you get the reverse lock out working? I removed the lotus lock ring completely, and had to tweak the side to side slightly to get the 3rd-4th plane to line up from the transmission to shifter.

Make sure you double check the vehicle wiring - the KPro probably have reverse polarity to damage it, which can be from a ground floating higher than the 5V internal ECU power supply. I guess it could have also been from whatever internal wire coming loose.

2005 Elise with Honda engine
post #88 of 355 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE. Today was a very bad day. We managed to rework the grounds in the car and everything is much better now.

A week ago I went to the tuners and was able to drive the car back to Apex's place. The tuner wasn't able to keep the Kpro connected to system. So we decided to take the car back to the garage and diagnose the problem ourselves. When we started the engine to get on the road, there was a rattling noise from within the engine bay somewhere. Didn't think it was too serious at the time. Drove it back. Left it for the next weekend's agenda. Fast forward to today, we take the valve cover off just to be sure the valves are ok and weren't the source of the noise. WE FIND METAL EVERYWHERE.

If you look further back in the thread, you'll see that we spent a morning cleaning blasting media out the engine. Because the shop that had my car before sent the valve cover out for powder coating didn't bother to clean it out before reinstalling the cover. Admittedly we took a gamble there. (Funny enough, another LotusTalk member's 2zz s h i t the bed for the same reason because of the same shop.) Anyway, I guess it wasn't enough. Our current best hypothesis is that one of the oil feeds to the intake cams got clogged somehow. The intake cam lobes were completely scored; the exhaust lobes were fine. My wallet and morale on the other hand are taking a beating.

Honestly, when I saw the damage... I felt like crying. I felt like laughing. I felt like getting angry and suing someone. To get this far along, after so much time, and then to have this happen. It just feels like I'm never going to get this thing back. I was telling Apex today that I during the week, I've started to forget that I even own a Lotus.

I am currently looking for a new engine.

What a piece of sh i t day this turned out to be.

Last edited by Butters; 03-08-2014 at 05:40 PM.
post #89 of 355 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 06:05 PM
The Enforcer

Sorry to hear that. Hasn't been a good week for me either. Trust me, you're sitting pretty comparatively.

San
post #90 of 355 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'm trying to look on the bright side. Honestly, this is nothing a lot of time, labor, and money won't fix. :/

Last edited by Butters; 03-08-2014 at 07:05 PM.
post #91 of 355 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 06:54 PM
The Enforcer

Me too. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

San
post #92 of 355 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 07:36 PM

Damn butters, I feel your pain. Hopefully you will be up before you know it. Take your time. Dont rush anything. Soon enough you will forget about this.

06 OCM elise r.i.p.
post #93 of 355 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 09:11 PM

Dude, that seriously sucks ass. Hopefully the bottom end is okay.
post #94 of 355 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 09:35 PM

Garage
Subscribing to this drama filled thread. Keep your morale up. You're tackling an insane project and have made amazing progress. The engine set-back sucks but keep pressing on! We're all cheering for you.

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #95 of 355 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE. Well, we spent the entire weekend doing a full R&R. Ran into some interesting speed bumps along the way. I will write something in more detail later. But for now, I'll keep it short.

And the short of it is, we got the new power plant in there and it fired up the first time and purred like a kitten. Or a large wild cat with fangs and sharp claws anyway. It was a huge difference between this and the first engine. Now we just have to bleed the brakes and take it to the tuner BECAUSE THE KPRO IS TOTALLY WORKING. WORKING GODDAMMIT DO YOU F UCKING HEAR ME YOU SONS OF BI TCHES F UCK ME TO HELL AND BACK YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA .

More to come.

post #96 of 355 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 01:59 AM

Glad to hear

06 OCM elise r.i.p.
post #97 of 355 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 04:28 PM

Congrats! I feel the same way when a project car runs.
post #98 of 355 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 04:48 PM
6i9

Trust me, I know the feeling. That pent up rage and frustration and anger and impatience and demotivation and completely ****ed up roller coaster of hope and disappointment...finally start to get purged once you fire that mother ****ing bitch ass engine up and it is running!!!

Congrats on the progress and keep us updated. Hopefully you're over the crest in terms of bull****

How's your shift linkage now?

post #99 of 355 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6i9 View Post
Trust me, I know the feeling. That pent up rage and frustration and anger and impatience and demotivation and completely ****ed up roller coaster of hope and disappointment...finally start to get purged once you fire that mother ****ing bitch ass engine up and it is running!!!

Congrats on the progress and keep us updated. Hopefully you're over the crest in terms of bull****

How's your shift linkage now?
Shift linkage still sucks. The cross gate action is messed up. Pull the stick to the left and it'll spring back to center just fine. But push it to the right and it just stays there.

post #100 of 355 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE. Well, more bad news. Had it at the tuner this past weekend. Couldn't keep the kpro connected still. But eventually got to a point where it was steady enough to tune. Got it strapped in. Idle was hunting all over the place. Did a few pulls and after 6000rpm the ecu was pulling a ton of timing. ECU was seeing intake temps up near 190 degrees F. Turns out we have the wrong IAT sensor.

FUTURE REFERENCE! Use an IAT sensor from an early Honda Civic or Integra. 1995 Honda Civic should be fine and will bolt right into the JRSC manifold. Or spring for a T1 Motorsport IAT sensor that is super quick but you'll need to drill and tap for it. We went with a stock K24A2 IAT sensor and it is not reading correctly. No one told me about this going in. Learn from my mistake. Looking at the dyno graphs you see the power climb and climb and right at 6k rpm it drops off a cliff and plateaus. Not good. Still, we were seeing 290rwhp and about 260ftlb of torque. Pretty decent. So I've got a T1 IAT sensor on order.

The hunting idle. This is the bastard. Discovered that completely blocking off the throttle body and iac valve port completely didn't do jack --- the engine still idled at 1k rpm. So obviously there is a huge leak somewhere. Isolated it to the blower/manifold mating. Took everything off and found that the bolts weren't even torqued down and that there was about 1.5" of mating surface with no sealant whatsoever. On top of all that, the pulley is totally ruined now. Whoever put it together didn't do it correctly so the keyway for the woodruff key is competely ruined. Will need a new pulley and all the hardware. Pulley will not come off. Need to find out what my options are at this point.

Both Apex and I are just so tired of this project. Over the past four months, with the k24 block being replaced recently, we have pretty much re-done everything I paid the shop to do. About $17,000 can basically be written off as a complete waste. We've retained an oil cooler mount (which we had to modify anyway to fit the passenger side wheel-well liner back on), an intercooler mount (which wasn't placed correctly, requiring us to modify the driver's side wheel-well liner to make fit), we didn't redo the rotors and brake piston install, and we didn't have to re-route the wiring harness they put in, so I guess that wasn't redone. But just thinking about how I essentially paid them 17 large for what amounts to basically nothing makes me so raging mad I can't even begin to describe it.

And now this. I'm beginning to think we need to check the brake install, too. Just to be double triple sure.

Last edited by Butters; 04-02-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in