Project Car: Exige + Honda K24A2 + MPx90 Supercharger - Page 8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 355 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Which would you recommend?

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 355 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:31 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Yup, got the CRV mount from P2R. It's pretty looking...

So the car is basically done. Still waiting to get to a good tuner. I spent $825 with a local tuner that did a terrible job. Gonna check out SpeedFactory in Tacoma. They only book one car a day for their load based dyno. They deal with Hondas all day and have a pretty successful drift and drag team. Should be able to get this thing tuned properly. Thing is they are booked solid until July 12th!

Still, even with this gimpy tune, the car is brutally fast!

The tranny, being the only thing that we haven't redone from the shop, is making terrible noises in 4th thru 6th. Will probably yank that thing sooner than later and have it looked at. Oh the joys....

Also, the shifting feel is 150% improved now. Installed a set of MTec race shift springs. Cross gate action feels great. Highly recommended.

The Hytech exhaust system is probably the best I've ever seen, but it is extremely loud. I am setting off car alarms on the street as I drive past. Currently talking to Burns (who manufacture BOE's exhausts) to see if they can make me a muffler that will quiet it down. This car is still street driven so it needs to have good street manners.

Just a few random thoughts on the swap.

- AIM MXL Pista dash reads fuel just fine but it doesn't do any math that evens out the voltage that it is reading so the fuel percentage jumps around a lot. Not a huge deal. You can set granularity, so i have it set to full percentages with no decimal places. Still, with my fuel warning set to 10%, if i am nearing 30% fuel the reading jumps around enough to where the light is flashing constantly except if i'm going in a straight line.

- the mp90 supercharger is LOUD. Sounds like a tie fighter.

- wish i had a wideband wired into the harness.

More updates to come.
I'd suggest looking for a wideband controller that can convert the 0-5v native output to 0-1v. You can then hook the wideband up to your Hondata, turn off closed loop, and do some data log tuning. Tuning for drivability is pretty easy with a wide band and all the data you can collect through the ECU. After your done tuning, you can switch the closed loop back on and either put the narrow band back in or keep the wideband in it and readjust the closed loop settings to match.
post #143 of 355 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Yup, got the CRV mount from P2R. It's pretty looking...

So the car is basically done. Still waiting to get to a good tuner. I spent $825 with a local tuner that did a terrible job. Gonna check out SpeedFactory in Tacoma. They only book one car a day for their load based dyno. They deal with Hondas all day and have a pretty successful drift and drag team. Should be able to get this thing tuned properly. Thing is they are booked solid until July 12th!

Still, even with this gimpy tune, the car is brutally fast!

The tranny, being the only thing that we haven't redone from the shop, is making terrible noises in 4th thru 6th. Will probably yank that thing sooner than later and have it looked at. Oh the joys....

Also, the shifting feel is 150% improved now. Installed a set of MTec race shift springs. Cross gate action feels great. Highly recommended.

The Hytech exhaust system is probably the best I've ever seen, but it is extremely loud. I am setting off car alarms on the street as I drive past. Currently talking to Burns (who manufacture BOE's exhausts) to see if they can make me a muffler that will quiet it down. This car is still street driven so it needs to have good street manners.

Just a few random thoughts on the swap.

- AIM MXL Pista dash reads fuel just fine but it doesn't do any math that evens out the voltage that it is reading so the fuel percentage jumps around a lot. Not a huge deal. You can set granularity, so i have it set to full percentages with no decimal places. Still, with my fuel warning set to 10%, if i am nearing 30% fuel the reading jumps around enough to where the light is flashing constantly except if i'm going in a straight line.

- the mp90 supercharger is LOUD. Sounds like a tie fighter.

- wish i had a wideband wired into the harness.

More updates to come.
Burns does not make our mufflers, FWIW...

Glad to see you're up and running! Epic journey I'm sure!

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

post #144 of 355 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 03:44 PM

I make them

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

slwkart
post #145 of 355 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec1382 View Post
You should run a baffled fuel tank

That will not smooth out the fuel sensor output, this however will:
IRQ-101A Gas Signal Conditioner

Never mind, that one is for a resistive type, the Lotus sensor is ratiometric (0-5v), a simple R-C circuit would work for that.

VFII, Eliseparts Sequential, Geartronics Paddle shift.
You name it, I've probably got that installed too...
1864lbs, full tank
Otherwise, it's bone stock....
post #146 of 355 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 01:55 PM

Que

slwkart
post #147 of 355 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec1382 View Post
what?

VFII, Eliseparts Sequential, Geartronics Paddle shift.
You name it, I've probably got that installed too...
1864lbs, full tank
Otherwise, it's bone stock....
post #148 of 355 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_in_sno View Post
what?
Hannah Montana.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
post #149 of 355 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Who knows, man... haha. We have members on here that are pretty cryptic. Leaves me scratching my head a lot of the time.

post #150 of 355 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 09:45 AM

Small notes here. Since I was hanging around here on my lunch break and wanted an update.

- Huge thanks for the MTec race sprint thing! My cross gate action has sucked from day one of this swap and I recently boiled a lot of it down to the action at the Honda trans selector (which I wasn't expecting!). I'll bet those springs would help me as well.

- The K20A2 ECU (i.e. the one most use for Kpro) has an integrated wideband. Its not quite as good as a modern wideband. But its pretty accurate down to about 0.8 lambda which is typically all you need for decent tuning anyways. I actually run no wideband in my car since Kpro also has the ability to run a lean detection algorithm which will automatically go into a cut if it sees a lean condition while in boost for X amount of time. Again Kpro is one of the best parts of the swaps, so I would recommend using it to its fullest!

- Butters you really need a solid tune from someone that does a lot of Honda K-series tuning. There is definitely a lot of power left on the table, not to mention drivability. That tune of yours was.... suspect to say the least.

440bhp E85 2006 Solar Yellow Elise.
The way it should have been delivered from the factory with Honda Power!
post #151 of 355 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Hey man!

Yeah, definitely need a proper tune. My tuning appointment isn't until July 12th. A full month from now. It's with SpeedFactory here in Washington. They are supposedly THE Honda guys in the state. They only schedule one car a day, tune on a load-based dyno, and are booked solid pretty much ALL the time. And they tune for a flat rate. Seems like a pretty good choice. Hopefully they'll knock it out of the park. I'm tired of shops fuc/king up.

I'll report back with more...

Last edited by Butters; 06-28-2014 at 04:32 PM.
post #152 of 355 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Good news today, guys!

So I had my new tires mounted (Kumho RS-3's) this past week. Went to Apex's place to get the last of the mechanical stuff squared away --- mounted my airbox. All good! Took the drive home and not two minutes in and I get an intense juddering noise and motion in the car. Take the first exit of the freeway, park it, get out and inspect the wheels --- driver's side rear wheel: two nuts not even tightened. I was able to spin the nuts with my fingers. What the goddamn? Mechanics 101: torque wheels properly. I shudder to think what kind of s hit I'd have been in if my wheel flew off on the freeway.

Anyway, friend meets me with a torque wrench. Sort the wheel out. Get back on my way. Onto the on-ramp, give it some go to merge into traffic. BAM!

Something snaps.

Car starts bucking like a bronco. Flip the hazards on, ease onto the shoulder. Car is undriveable. Any gear, let the clutch out, car will buck like a bull with a bat up its ass.

Called AAA. Got it towed back to Apex's place.

Hypothesis is that the ring gear lost a tooth or two. F uck me.

Oh wait, did I say good news? I meant s hit news.

So at this point, I have my tuning appointment coming up on the 12th. It was tough to get and I had to put down a $100 deposit. At this point, I'm gonna have to blow that off. We're not going to be able to pull the tranny any time soon as Apex is moving and won't have his garage back up till mid to late August... Figure two weeks to sort the gearbox... That'll put me at September before I can reschedule another tune. Who knows if and when the tuner will have availability at that point.

So it looks like the project is f ucked yet again until further notice.

I should've known. I should've taken the gearbox to a reputable shop to have it checked out. While it's true that I couldn't have known there was something wrong with it beforehand, given how screwed the rest of the project was when I fired the shop, I should have fu cking known.

What a b itch.

Last edited by Butters; 06-28-2014 at 07:54 PM.
post #153 of 355 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 04:41 PM
The Enforcer

Sorry to hear that. I don't know what else to say.

San
post #154 of 355 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 04:42 PM

Hang in there. Once sorted, you will have a nice setup. Just plan to keep the car forever and you can amortize the cost over a " forever" span of time. Like 200.00 per year. There is light .
post #155 of 355 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 07:48 PM

Sorry to hear, keep your head up

06 OCM elise r.i.p.
post #156 of 355 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 10:12 AM

Sucks

slwkart
post #157 of 355 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 08:15 PM

****ing hell, dude. That sucks.

My car should be going in for paint in the next day or two, so my lift will be empty for a couple of weeks. PM me if you want to work over here.
post #158 of 355 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Hey MotoGeek, that's extremely generous of you and I really really appreciate it.

If the project had gone another way and we hadn't experienced so many speed bumps, I might be inclined to take you up on the offer. But at this point, i think i just need a break from that f ucking project. It's depressing me.

post #159 of 355 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 12:18 AM

What was the purpose of this build?
autox, track, street..?

Whenever I get my car back from a shop the first thing i do is check the
wheel bolts and try to anticipate what they could have screwed up.

I guess you brought it on yourself, but man I feel really bad for you...good luck!

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #160 of 355 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

First of all, "brought it on myself"? Way to kick a man when he's down.

Second of all, you're most likely right. I probably did bring it upon myself. Lesson learned.

In my defense, tho, I will say that it was a f ucking tire change. And the shop has gotten many positive yelp reviews so I figured they could handle a simple tire change.

Either way, I'm a bit insulted by your remark, but that doesn't mean you are entirely wrong.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in